Single - Mom - taking my kid - 1st time - ADVICE please!! : )

OpalCruising45

You take care of your child at home....it's really no different on the ship or vacation....except that there's so much more for your child to do! You shouldn't be nervous, but excited! It will be fun....both for you and your daughter! Enjoy!

I would request being seated with others for dinner, so you can have other adults to chat with....it would make YOUR time more enjoyable, I'm sure!

Edited by cb at sea

Good for you taking a vacation you should both enjoy! I have not been on this particular ship, and I am not a single parent, but I do like cruising with my son, who is 7. This is a great age for cruising. You and your child can do a lot together, but you should also be sure to take a little time for yourself if your daughter is open to going to the kids' club for a bit. She'll probably have fun, and you can enjoy a little you time.

One thing we did on NCL when my son was this age was buy the backpack with t-shirt, baseball cap, cup and unlimited soda (not what we do at home). I tried to look to make sure they still offer this. It was a one time cost of about $40 and really got him everything he wanted for the cruise.

A cruise is a great vacation for you both. Look at the ports ahead of time. You can often book excursions (like the Atlantis submarine) on your own for far less than the cruise excursion cost. At that age, we often just took a cab to a nice beach.

Don't worry too much about clothes and use a resale shop for any extra sun dresses, etc. you think you need. A cruise is really to relax and enjoy.

You will want to get and take all of the necessary documentation to be able to "prove" you child can travel with you alone. Quickest, if you are divorced or never married to the father, is to get a notarized letter from the father listing your itinerary and his giving his approval. If you have sole legal custody, bring copies of the legal documents that grant you that.

Dependent upon a number of factors, you may or may not be required to produce this "proof" but it is always wise to bring it.

Be certain to prepare your DD for customs and immigration processes -- the agents may want to ask her questions and she will need to answer (at 7YO our DD was "questioned" in conjuction with some training for new agents in Vancouver). Or they may need to ask you some questions and need to separate you for a bit. Similarly, if she does not travel much, prep her for security procedures. Most of the TSA and other agents are pretty good dealing with kids, but it can "freak out" some kids.

Work through the "rules" with her for travel. Are there times when you are going to want her to hold your hand (or purse strap). Traveling with only one adult "pairs of eyes" may call for a few more rules.

Make certain to go to the open house and have her attend the first night "get aquainted" party in the kid's club. Even if neither of you plan to use it much, it is a nice option if one of you wants to "get away" from the other for a bit. And as fasinating as I sure you are, she may want to be with kids her own age at times (similar to asking to be seated at a large table for you to have the opportunity for adults occassionally :) ).

Relax and have fun!

Edited by Onessa

Thank you so much for this great advice!

I love it! Ok - now I'm feeling more excited than nervous!!

: )

Yes, I think she is the perfect age to cruise...she is excited.

I'm worried about crowds at the pool. We are super early risers so I'm assuming we will be down at the crack of dawn!

Any advice on navigating the pool areas?

Dealing with pool chairs and tables at the buffet is the only downside I've found in cruising alone with kids. Often when you get up to use the restroom, get something to eat, etc., your space can be taken since there is no one to stay behind. I try to bring something of little value - book, sun tan lotion, etc. to leave on the towels or table to indicate I've just stepped away.

The earlier the better when trying to sit right by the pool. If you're going to be gone for awhile (longer than 30 minutes usually) you have to give up your chairs, but it's often pretty easy to at least find one to sit on - which you can share, or more likely, she'll be in the pool while you sit. Bring everything you need to avoid having to run back to the cabin. The first day you may want to walk around and find the pool that most interests you. We would plan on pool time for the morning and then other activities later in the day when it was more crowded. Any special things she wants to do - pool slides, etc., make sure you do the first chance you get. These get more crowded as the week goes on and can be closed for various reasons (wind, repairs), so if you wait for the later sea day(s) you can miss out.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Dealing with pool chairs and tables at the buffet is the only downside I've found in cruising alone with kids. Often when you get up to use the restroom' date=' get something to eat, etc., your space can be taken since there is no one to stay behind. I try to bring something of little value - book, sun tan lotion, etc. to leave on the towels or table to indicate I've just stepped away.

The earlier the better when trying to sit right by the pool. If you're going to be gone for awhile (longer than 30 minutes usually) you have to give up your chairs, but it's often pretty easy to at least find one to sit on - which you can share, or more likely, she'll be in the pool while you sit. Bring everything you need to avoid having to run back to the cabin. The first day you may want to walk around and find the pool that most interests you. We would plan on pool time for the morning and then other activities later in the day when it was more crowded. Any special things she wants to do - pool slides, etc., make sure you do the first chance you get. These get more crowded as the week goes on and can be closed for various reasons (wind, repairs), so if you wait for the later sea day(s) you can miss out.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I always take a cheap, small tote bag with a zipper top to put in sun glasses, sun screen, a pen, Kleenex, wet wipes, etc, this 'keeps my place' as well as holds all the things I don't want to run back to the cabin to find. I just picked one up at the dollar store.

Edited by onthelake

I'm jealous, you're going to have such a great time! Since it's the 2 of you I guess you get to do things together alot, but I can't imagine a better mommy daughter experience. My daughter is 3 and brought my 1 year old to daycare so here and I could have a special day once, it was so nice to be able to spend that one-on-one time.

I would talk to her about who to ask for help if she gets lost. At the pool area maybe come up with a meeting spot in case you do get separated.

I always take a cheap, small tote bag with a zipper top to put in sun glasses, sun screen, a pen, Kleenex, wet wipes, etc, this 'keeps my place' as well as holds all the things I don't want to run back to the cabin to find. I just picked one up at the dollar store.
Great idea and to make it event better, get a plain one at the craft store and use either a fabric pen or make an iron-on transfer to put some pithy saying on it -- "Be right back" (I'm sure your pithy saying will be pithier than mine :D)

I love this one and one time! Be prepared for a melt down or two.

My advice is make sure she you tell her what she is responsible for ahead of time! I have been a single parent and if she can be responsible for rolling her small luggage bag and a carry on that will be helpful.

It will also help on excursions when you get off the ship if you give her a small beach bag to be in charge of!! Both of my kids have had responsibilities from a young age and it helps make the trip go smoothy. Also teach her to look behind each time she changes locations for items you two may have left!!! We usually loose things when we travel😳. Have so much fun!!

One more thing, I ordered this bag today called a kyss bag so my family can enjoy time in the water together without as much risk of things being taken. You can lock it to your beach chair!! I read about it on here and wish I would have had one for all our trips. That might come in handy for the two of you why you are on the beach!

One more thing, I ordered this bag today called a kyss bag so my family can enjoy time in the water together without as much risk of things being taken. You can lock it to your beach chair!! I read about it on here and wish I would have had one for all our trips. That might come in handy for the two of you why you are on the beach!

Good point! When we go into port, I have a plastic waterproof case that goes around my neck. Seapass cards, id, cash and a credit card or two all go inside and that way I can wear it when we go into the ocean or pool and don't have to worry about someone taking our stuff. I also wear non-valuables in a backpack in port so I'm hands free to be able to deal with the kids.

Best,

Mia

A friend of mine had taken her two kids (one autistic around 8 years old and the other was a preteen) on a cruise without her husband, who had other ideas of how to spend a vacation. Hopefully she did bring any necessary paperwork -- these was about four years ago.

Definitely take your kid to the kids' room the first night as that's when the kids meet each other. She may be wanting to take part as much as she can.

• 4 weeks later...

My 7 yr old son and I are about to head out for our 3rd cruise. Having been a single parent since my son came to existence we've done all inclusive a and cruises. I actually think cruising w a child is the perfect single parent/child vacation!

On Disney they sat us with other single parents and children. On royal we were added to a large family for dinners. Both were great for different reasons! This trip we are doing my time dining and I'm very interested to see how that will work. Thinking it might give us the opportunity to meet lots if different people!

Sign up for the mix and mingle to get to know fellow cruisers. Cruisers tend to be friendly people. We always meet other families to do things with which adds to the fun!

I already have plans to meet 2 other single parents from the board to do things with. Embrace the experience you will have a blast!

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never knew about this kyss bag I will be ordering one immediately so wish I would have known about this before. When we were in Jamaica they went through all of our things as soon as we got in the water.

I love this one and one time! Be prepared for a melt down or two.

My advice is make sure she you tell her what she is responsible for ahead of time! I have been a single parent and if she can be responsible for rolling her small luggage bag and a carry on that will be helpful.

It will also help on excursions when you get off the ship if you give her a small beach bag to be in charge of!! Both of my kids have had responsibilities from a young age and it helps make the trip go smoothy. Also teach her to look behind each time she changes locations for items you two may have left!!! We usually loose things when we travel😳. Have so much fun!!