Splendor Questions - NYC Help!!!

Clt9488

Help Friends! I have been Googling and searching CC for a few days and I just can't seem to find the best options for where to sleep and park for our Splendor cruise.

We have a family of 7 driving from Pittsburgh in two cars on April 25th. I cannot seem to find a hotel with parking and transportation and am looking for the cheapest way to spend the night, park the cars and get to the port. HELP!

Parking at the port would be $640! ($40 x 8 days x 2 vehicles) Yikes!! :mad:

The cheapest hotel I found with parking is the Country Inn & Suites in NJ - $381 for two rooms but then when I add transportation it's $189 each way (Dial 7) $378 = $759! :eek:

We sailed out of Baltimore last year and it was easy peasy and affordable and I expected NY to be more but I guess I should have done more research before we booked. :rolleyes:

I've looked into renting a van and dropping it off at the airport but that's $370ish each way and we would still need transportation to the terminal. :(

I'm just feeling a little stuck! any advice would be so greatly appreciated. ;)

Help Friends! I have been Googling and searching CC for a few days and I just can't seem to find the best options for where to sleep and park for our Splendor cruise.

We have a family of 7 driving from Pittsburgh in two cars on April 25th. I cannot seem to find a hotel with parking and transportation and am looking for the cheapest way to spend the night, park the cars and get to the port. HELP!

The cheapest hotel I found with parking is the Country Inn & Suites in NJ - $381 for two rooms but then when I add transportation it's $189 each way (Dial 7) $378 = $759! :eek:

We sailed out of Baltimore last year and it was easy peasy and affordable and I expected NY to be more but I guess I should have done more research before we booked. :rolleyes:

I've looked into renting a van and dropping it off at the airport but that's $370ish each way and we would still need transportation to the terminal. :(

You will not find comparable deals in New York as you would in Baltimore. I would try and break apart your search into separate items. Working backwards, there are places to park very near the cruiseport which I believe I have seen here on CC going for $16/day. For New York that is cheap. If you look to stay a bit farther away from the city, you might find better deals for a hotel. Even if it means traveling a half hour or so to get the port. Lastly, have you looked on the East Coast Departure board for New York?

You could stay at an inexpensive hotel on Staten Island, leave your cars at one of two DOT Municiple parking lots at the Staten Island Ferry terminal ($8.00/day), take the ferry over to Manhattan for free, and then cab it to the ship.

Some Metro-North (commuter railway) have long term parking $16 a day with weekends free, along with cheaper hotels fairly nearby. Try Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Southeast on MTA website.

The same may be true of NJ Transit, but I don't know that system. Then you could take train into Grand Central or Penn Station and then a cab to the pier.

I have heard of hotels in Manhattan that are reasonable, but it will take some searching.

We live in NJ, so no hotel necessary, but we have cruised on the Splendor several times and research parking regularly. Best deal is from Alliance Parking, they have what they call 3-14day car storage for $19.00 a day. They are located 1 mile from the port. My husband drops me off, with the luggage and I get that taken by the porters, he goes parks the car and walks to the port. About 10 minute walk. On Disembarking, we do walk off. We walk to the street with the luggage, and he goes to get the car while I wait for him with the luggage. It works great. Here is the website.

https://www.allianceparkingservices.com/3-14-day-vehicle-storage.html

We use the 560 West 43rd location, it's the closest.

You can easily stay in an inexpensive place in Jersey about 20 minutes from the port and drive in the morning of and use this service.

Like I said we've used it several times and it works wonderfully.

Hope this helps.... :)

theres only 2 of us, though started at 3 then 4, now two lol. but the last time we cruised from NYC we took the train in from Albany and are doing it again as i find it more relaxing than dealing with the traffic/gas/tolls lol. Though with the 2 vehicles with that many ppl may just as expensive as parking.

We park at Port Imperial -across the river in New Jersey- for $13. a day and take the ferry across to the Manhattan side. Then it is only a quick 15 minute walk to the ship.

We have done it in the fall and the winter. No problems.

Ferry is $9. pp and and is about a 10 minute ride.

You can then choose a hotel anywhere you like and just drive to Port Imperial on the morning of your cruise. We booked a hotel on Priceline for about $58. at one of the Newark Airport hotels.

When we cruise out of NY we take the Martz bus to Port Authority then a taxi to the pier.

Taxi is usually around $10.00.

Depending on how many we have determines the cost of the bus.

We have paid $32 pp round trip for 8 people and when there was only two of us the price was around $50.00pp.

Check out Martz or Greyhound , etc.

This will get switched to the port board but i had a last minute stay at a place called Traveler's Inn or Travel Inn ( the one with parking) on a last minute NYC week last May in midtown Manhattan and they had parking and folks in the know go there..especially locals going into city for weekend. Fairly easy walk to Times Square and they may offer a parking package great fro folks staying there...not sure for a week cruise..

I got the last room there for a week's stay..King..great for Nyc buget standards and clean clean..no bed bugs and that has been an issue in NYC even in fancy hotels..

They are a clean businessman's/buget travel group/ word of mouth travel hotel/motel in the city..a rare thing. There are restaurants close and a great bagel and breakfast place next door and places that deliver food regularly and they have fridge and micro in most rooms but no coffee..bring something for that AM or go to Bagel place..no in house restaurant...but they have this theater one that delivers all meals..very good.

They have these quiet courtyard on the pool rooms in spring before it opens..there is no individual heat thermostat but i was very comfortable in May...it is not fancy but was clean and large room for NYC standards and cheap at last minute or not rates for the city...200 a night..cough cough..that is good there a night (STICKER SHOCK)..but I had a free private concert and what can you say..I needed it desperately, I save until I can't stand it and go rather last minute usually....had a great unique stay there..may work for you...good luck.

Edited by sjn911

We live in NJ, so no hotel necessary, but we have cruised on the Splendor several times and research parking regularly. Best deal is from Alliance Parking, they have what they call 3-14day car storage for $19.00 a day. They are located 1 mile from the port. My husband drops me off, with the luggage and I get that taken by the porters, he goes parks the car and walks to the port. About 10 minute walk. On Disembarking, we do walk off. We walk to the street with the luggage, and he goes to get the car while I wait for him with the luggage. It works great. Here is the website.

You can easily stay in an inexpensive place in Jersey about 20 minutes from the port and drive in the morning of and use this service.

Thanks for this tip - I just reserved a spot for our cruise in April. We were going to take the train but last time we took the train down we were delayed 2 hours before we left Union Station in New Haven, and I don't want to take any chances.

You could try park sleep fly. they have special rates with hotels for minimum 1 night and parking, and most will take you to the airport where you can find either a limo or a large SUV that will hold all of you. Each way will probably run you around $90. And the hotel people may be able to hook you up with a ride

Thank you so much! I think we will use this for our trip :)

We park at Port Imperial -across the river in New Jersey- for $13. a day and take the ferry across to the Manhattan side. Then it is only a quick 15 minute walk to the ship.

We have done it in the fall and the winter. No problems.

Ferry is $9. pp and and is about a 10 minute ride.

This is exactly what I plan on doing. Plus I think it's cool you can see the ship while you're taking the ferry across the river. Exciting!

Don't know what the cost would be, but have you ever thought of Amtrak? We're in central PA and recently took Amtrak to NYC the day prior to the cruise. For us it was cheaper considering the gas and parking (not to mention there is no hassle with driving into the city). We got a good rate at the Hampton Inn (I believe it was called Times Square North). It was just a short taxi ride to the pier in the morning.