Cabins on BA/GA that show a triangle for balcony

susanbratwurst

I'm in the process of booking Getaway for August. From looking at the exterior photos of the ship and also the deck plans I'm having a hard time figuring something out. Where the ship juts out, there is a cabin that shows a triangle to accommodate the change in width. My question is...is the cabin balcony where this happens larger or smaller as a result. I'm doing a lousy job of explaining this. An example would be cabin 9878 on Getaway. Also is privacy compromised as a result of this configuration?

I'm in the process of booking Getaway for August. From looking at the exterior photos of the ship and also the deck plans I'm having a hard time figuring something out. Where the ship juts out, there is a cabin that shows a triangle to accommodate the change in width. My question is...is the cabin balcony where this happens larger or smaller as a result. I'm doing a lousy job of explaining this. An example would be cabin 9878 on Getaway. Also is privacy compromised as a result of this configuration?

The legend is below the deck plan layout. The triangle denotes that it only sleeps three as opposed to four.

Yes, you are correct. 9878 is the bigger balcony. You can fit 3 straightback chairs on this type of balcony.

I had one like that on the breakaway and I have one booked for my next trip.

Book this type and you will be glad you did.:)

Here's the description of a Breakaway angled balcony from a web site that focuses on cruise deck plans.

breakaway_angled_balcony.jpg

Keep in mind that description totally depends on which deck. We are in an angled on 13, so we will not look right onto the top of the waterfront as that says.

Keep in mind that description totally depends on which deck. We are in an angled on 13, so we will not look right onto the top of the waterfront as that says.

You are, of course, correct. I chose Deck 9 because that's what the OP was using as an example.

We were in that exact cabin last week on the Breakaway. Loved it. More room to move on balcony. No trouble being over waterfront, you tend to look out at the view not down. I would take this cabin again. Close to elevator and near restaurants and Garden Café.

Thank you everyone that is exactly the information I was looking for. Especially the pictures. Balcony size on these ships is a bit of an annoyance for me but I like being as far aft on the ship as possible so the large balcony category does not appeal to me. I am debating if I want to spend the extra for a completely aft view balcony. Had aft view on both celebrity Alaska cruises but could justify the extra price due to it being Alaska and the scenery. Oh what terrible decisions to have to make. :D

Edited by susanbratwurst

• 4 months later...
I'm in cabin 8738 do you think it's the same as 9878? Should I change it's still available oh and this is on the breakaway.

No, 8738 on the Breakaway is not an angled balcony (see deck plan below).

Breakaway8738.jpg

I'm in cabin 8738 do you think it's the same as 9878? Should I change it's still available oh and this is on the breakaway.

I've tried to lay it out a couple times. You are asking the same small group of folks each time unfortunately. So ....

The inside of the cabins are the same, but the balconies differ. One is larger, IMO. One faces forward, the other aft.

I feel you have a great understanding of your current cabin. I'm surprised to hear of your recent concerns. :eek: We all felt you were content. :D

Please share your concerns. Perhaps we can help. :)

Let me try to help one last time with the cabin details; 8738 is a secret BD angle balcony, even larger than the other secret BD balcony of 8740. 8738 has a larger balcony than any typical angled balcony including 9878.

These two cabins 8738 and 8740, and their sisters port are secret angled balconies according to my math. The deckplans are in error. The deckplans do not show these angled balconies. That's why I call them secret angled balconies. Please correct me if 'm wrong.

Also 8738's angle is going to block the wind. It's angled aft, unlike 9878, which is facing the wind.

Considering you are on the BA to BDA, I recommend keeping your existing aft facing secret large balcony angle cabin 8738.

Keep your current assignment, IMO.

The only advantage to the other assignment is the more aft location, so 9878 may have less motion. Other than that i see little advantage.

Deck 8 forward cabins may appear to be out of place on the plans. But once aboard you will quickly learn they are located exactly where you would prefer.

What does your sailing party encompass? 2A2K? Ages of kids?

I know you have seen this slide showing the secret BD angled balconies. lol. See slide #21;

https://docs.google.com/a/wisertogether.com/presentation/d/1_863Qda8PkJ0AZoyY65t8bC0C4eR4Og2SkH931zNdLU/pub?start=true&loop=true&delayms=5000#slide=id.gd43adb57_2_0

HTH one last time.

ETA; 8740 balcony is more close to a typical bumpout angled balcony. Look at your balcony. It is 20% larger, at least, more likely 33.3% larger, IMO. :D

Please enjoy.

I wish you smooth seas. :)

Edited by bear3412

I thought really hard about it and decided to move to 9878 location is better for me closer to elevators and stairs than 8138 (I have back issues). Thanks for your help Bear but also being aft might be better for me than forward.

We were in that exact same cabin location but a few decks higher. Having the larger balcony makes a huge difference, and being right by the stairs like that is so handy. We were so happy with it that we booked the same location on the Escape.

Edited by LrgPizza

• 10 months later...

Keep in mind that 9878 is above the Waterfront's designated smoking area. I had this room and switched it for this reason. I would try for the opposite side, 9278, if you can get it.

Edited by TardisDance

I don't know who manages the slides in post #15, but it appears the deck 9 numbering is off?

There's another cabin forward of what's marked as 9708 (on slide 21), so wouldn't all deck 9 cabin numbers need to be moved one cabin to the right (forward)?

Making cabin 9710 above cabin 8710?

Or are the very front cabins not guest cabins? (The balcony furniture is different?)

Norwegian Breakaway in Rotterdam

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy