Spring Break with kids-Holland America Eurodam or Royal Princess?

jcw

We have sailed both lines in the past and have preferred HAL's food, service, and ambience. We haven't sailed in five years, so I don't know if these lines have changed much since we last sailed. This is the first time taking our children (ages 8-9) on a cruise. Any thoughts on which line/ship is preferable for Spring Break with children?

My concerns at other times of the year is that HAL would have a minimal amount of children and they might be bored with any activities offered. I don't know if they have a major increase in families with children over holiday breaks. My concern about Princess during Spring Break is that it might be just the opposite: overrun with kids.

Royal Princess is newer, but I know that HAL really maintains their ships. I've heard mixed reviews about the Royal Princess layout and problems with elevators, etc.

Sigh. Sorry for rambling, I'm just hoping for some insight to make my decision! TIA!!!

After cruising for years, with and without children, including every year at spring break---My advice would be to never take children on HAL. HAL is a MUCH older crowd (I'm in my 50's and I'm a "young kid" on that line). It's a safe bet they will be bored. Also, some cruise HAL to avoid children, so you'll not be popular bringing small ones.

If you are worried about having children onboard other than your own, avoid spring break--because you won't be the only ones who want to sail with the whole family during that time. Overrun might be a bit strong, but there will be plenty most likely. On the other hand, your kids will probably love it. The kids programs are hopping, at least more than usual.

Hope you have a good vacation!

My daughter (4 year old) loved the kid's club on the Royal Princess. I really enjoyed the ship and had a great time. Have never cruised HAL, though. I'd say go with the itinerary and price as, I'm sure, you'll have a great time on either ship.

My grands loved HAL because there were so few kids and they got a lot of attention. But they are kinda shy so that was perfect for them. If your kids are more social and outgoing they probably would prefer a ship with more kids on it.

. This is the first time taking our children (ages 8-9) on a cruise. Any thoughts on which line/ship is preferable for Spring Break with children?

My concerns at other times of the year is that HAL would have a minimal amount of children and they might be bored with any activities offered. I don't know if they have a major increase in families with children over holiday breaks. My concern about Princess during Spring Break is that it might be just the opposite: overrun with kids.

Royal Princess is newer, but I know that HAL really maintains their ships. I've heard mixed reviews about the Royal Princess layout and problems with elevators, etc.

Sigh. Sorry for rambling, I'm just hoping for some insight to make my decision! TIA!!!

So you are looking to take two children on a cruise during Spring Break, but don't want a ship over run by families and children? The answer would be go on HAL.:D

Thanks, all! :)

I guess I should have clarified a bit regarding what I meant by "overrun." I didn't know if the Royal Princess would be so overloaded with kids that there would be a wait for most everything. I definitely want a lively atmosphere, and kids are the ones who add to that! :)

I just didn't know if a ship that large could be frustrating to navigate during Spring Break. We have only sailed on Golden Princess a few times, so that is my only point of comparison. That ship never seemed overcrowded and we went during prime times such as Spring and Summer break.

My fear with HAL, is that while possibly more relaxed, might be a bit boring for the kids. HAL is trying to become more family friendly, but I don't know if they are "there" just yet. I was surprised to see that they were even offering a Caribbean sailing during Spring Break. The reviews of the Royal Princess have been a bit mixed, so I think that is making my decision a bit more difficult.

The Royal has a greatly expanded kids area with a lot of new amenities. The buffet is HUGE with a lot of different food choices that both adults and kids would enjoy. Princess has the best pizza at sea, much better than HAL's. :)

I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL and would love to sail on the Eurodam some day but between the two lines, I think the Royal is the better option for kids. Perhaps not another Princess ship but definitely the Royal.

My DH and I have been cruising on HAL since 1999. I swore I would never take kids on HAL. Our first cruise with the grandkids was to Alaska on Princess in 2011 and there were a lot of kids. Next one was on HAL to Mexico cause it was their spring break so with a set week I did not have a choice. At the end I asked them which they preferred and hands down it was HAL. Because it was spring break there were also a lot of kids. This Dec we took them on the Amsterdam thru the panama canal and there were only 81 kids on board. They both had a blast. My granddaughter is 12 and even with a smaller number of kids the Club HAL staff kept them busy. My grandson is 16 and found a great group of teens to hang out with in the Loft (teen center). They are now HAL loyalists. HAL has greatly imporved their kids program since 1999.

You used the term "spring break" very misleading....

Each part of the country has different spring breaks or even multiple breaks (Mass. We have presidents week and Patriots week in April). Thus some people responses to their observAtions during THEIR spring break may be different than when you are going. But regardless of the date the grandchildren will have a ball because it is their first!

Our daughter enjoyed the kids activities inboard Crown and Golden. Growing up a bit now (13) she looks forward to the teen club. I don't think Royal will be overrun with kids, but if you call Princess they will tell you how many are booked on that cruise....at that time.

Have fun, relax, they will as well.