Cunard vs Holland America

buchhalm

This is a copy from "Ask a cruise question":

Perhaps a sill question, but what is wrong with Cunard Cruise Lines?

I am looking in to some option to cruise Europe (again) this summer and am a bit torn between Northern Europe (new for us) and the Mediterranean (done a few times).

For 2-week itineraries, Holland America seem to charge pretty much twice the rate than a comparable cruise with Cunard's Q-Vic or Q-E.

All seem to "nice ships", but why does Cunarde seem to be that much cheaper for same-ish ports during the same months/weeks???

:confused:

New marketing people at Cunard. Trying to fill the ships by discounting early on? UK economy still in the doldrums? Trying for a younger marketing demographic? (Which leads me to mention if you think the people on Cunard are old- they're wild and crazy party animals compared to HAL.) Because of differences in airfare, UK maket is more pricce sensitive for Europe than US?

I consider QV/QE to be much superior to any HAL ship I was ever on.

I will love to follow this thread. We would like to know how people compare the two lines. We have been wanting to try Cunard but really need more info about the formality on board the Cunard ships. With limited luggage space after over a month of cruising, we would like to do a transatlantic and have the option of eating in the Lido on formal nights. Do passengers still need to be dressed formally everywhere on the ship on formal nights?

New marketing people at Cunard. Trying to fill the ships by discounting early on? UK economy still in the doldrums? Trying for a younger marketing demographic? (Which leads me to mention if you think the people on Cunard are old- they're wild and crazy party animals compared to HAL.) Because of differences in airfare, UK maket is more pricce sensitive for Europe than US?

I consider QV/QE to be much superior to any HAL ship I was ever on.

Hi Dancer Bob. Yes, there are new marketing people at Cunard. Apparently the focus has changed:

"...Cunard is to shift its marketing away from price and underline its position as an iconic British luxury brand.

Marketing director Angus Struthers began a brand development project to make Cunard more relevant to wealthy clients when he joined the cruise line in September. And unveiling the new campaign to Travel Weekly this week, he said he wanted to emulate famous British luxury marques including hotels such as The Savoy and The Dorchester, and fashion house Burberry...Previously the cruise line had been more focused on price-based advertising, but now the impetus will be on brand development."

copied from http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/01/09/46571/cunard-puts-british-luxury-in-the-spotlight.html

Best of luck to the new marketing people. -S.

I will love to follow this thread. We would like to know how people compare the two lines. We have been wanting to try Cunard but really need more info about the formality on board the Cunard ships. With limited luggage space after over a month of cruising, we would like to do a transatlantic and have the option of eating in the Lido on formal nights. Do passengers still need to be dressed formally everywhere on the ship on formal nights?

You'll find the answer to your question here. https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

As you'll see, you may indeed dress more casually for dinner in Kings Court, although you are asked not to do so in the ship's public areas. But I hope that you'll also see that the requirements for formal evenings are not only easy to meet, but a delight to enjoy.

Hi Dancer Bob. Yes, there are new marketing people at Cunard. Apparently the focus has changed:

"...Cunard is to shift its marketing away from price and underline its position as an iconic British luxury brand.

Marketing director Angus Struthers began a brand development project to make Cunard more relevant to wealthy clients when he joined the cruise line in September. And unveiling the new campaign to Travel Weekly this week, he said he wanted to emulate famous British luxury marques including hotels such as The Savoy and The Dorchester, and fashion house Burberry...Previously the cruise line had been more focused on price-based advertising, but now the impetus will be on brand development."

copied from http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/01/09/46571/cunard-puts-british-luxury-in-the-spotlight.html

I suspect that this will mean price increases.

With a caveat that this is just my opinion, and having sailed both lines, I definitely believe Cunard is a much better experience!

Ships: Cunard ships appear cleaner and with better upkeep. Public rooms on the Cunard ships are spacious and more attractive.

Service: Similar, but Cunard crew appears more attentive and better trained, except in the buffet.

Entertainment: Many more lecturers and activities on Cunard ships, and this is compared to several segments of the Holland World Cruise on the Amsterdam, where one would think they are showcasing their brand.

Cabins: Both have comfortable beds and good storage. The bathrooms are larger on Cunard and better designed. I really dislike the window over the bed on the Ocean View cabins on Holland ships. One must kneel on the bed to look out the window. I believe some of the Ocean View cabins on the QM2 have this design.

Food: Far better quality, taste and presentation on Cunard, with a lovely, elegant tea daily compared to a dreadful tea in the dining room on Holland. There is often a language issue with waiters on Holland, so that often orders are incorrect. I would give an edge to Holland on the design of the Lido Buffet for those preferring to dine there on formal nights.

Holland has formal nights as does Cunard. I would describe Cunard as a more traditional and elegant cruising experience, but not stuffy, with far less cutting of corners.

Ricki

Edited by ricki

This is music to my ears, of late it seems Cunard have been more concerned with "dumbing down " to become more like the Carnival ships, indeed the short cruises Cunard have done have been "bare bones", no formal nights, more bingo than lectures, more "boozy weekends".

I think there is still a good market for a cruise line with standards, however Cunard will have to get back to a staffing that is definitely Cunard, they cannot rely on having a pool of staff who can work in any of the Carnival cruise lines and then be brought onto one of the Queens as HO thinks fit.

The Savoy would not take a worker from MacDonalds and expect him/her to automatically give "White Glove " service.

A very big improvement would be to ensure all the "front of house" "staff , know, understand and speak English ( some of the Britannia waiters are barely able to speak English) .

It is also important that the Officers are seen "walking the ship" and associate with the passengers, of late there has been an absence of Officers at functions, (no excuse of other duties explains this). There have been comments on here of the non attendance of the Cmdr, Captain, etc and of officers ignoring passengers at social events.

For myself I would like to see the Social Hostess arranging for more Solo get togethers, there are many occasions for this and the events needs to be held in say the Winter Garden or similar.(NEVER IN THE KINGS CT OR LIDO).

I suspect that this will mean price increases.

I for one would pay a fare commiserate with the service. If you pay $49 a day you are going to get bottom of the line service, and too often recently Cunard have offered this type of fare in certain areas, and the result is not attractive.

Maybe insisting on certain standards of dress or behavior will alienate a small group bu overall the larger group who travel Cunard because it is Cunard will be please.

There are so many ships that if someone does not want to dress up, attend lectures instead of "knobbly Knees contests" any one can find one to suit. It is really annoying to read, "I have booked with Cunard but I do not want to dress up, why does Cunard insist on this" or "I missed Bingo because Cunard did not announce it "

It is also important that the Officers are seen "walking the ship" and associate with the passengers, of late there has been an absence of Officers at functions, (no excuse of other duties explains this). There have been comments on here of the non attendance of the Cmdr, Captain, etc and of officers ignoring passengers at social events.

In 16 trips, I have never met an officer nor have I seen them around the ship.

A few years ago on Christmas Eve, the Commodore went around to the tables near his in Britannia to wish passengers a Merry Christmas. I thought that above gracious.

A few years ago on Christmas Eve, the Commodore went around to the tables near his in Britannia to wish passengers a Merry Christmas. I thought that above gracious.

I do remember officers walking around on the QE2 and what a delight!

I for one would pay a fare commiserate with the service. If you pay $49 a day you are going to get bottom of the line service, and too often recently Cunard have offered this type of fare in certain areas, and the result is not attractive.

Maybe insisting on certain standards of dress or behavior will alienate a small group bu overall the larger group who travel Cunard because it is Cunard will be please.

There are so many ships that if someone does not want to dress up, attend lectures instead of "knobbly Knees contests" any one can find one to suit. It is really annoying to read, "I have booked with Cunard but I do not want to dress up, why does Cunard insist on this" or "I missed Bingo because Cunard did not announce it "

Yes, but the crux is that higher prices do not necessarily mean higher social standards of the passengers ...

This must have been Commodore Warner.

I do remember officers walking around on the QE2 and what a delight!

I remember seeing them in the pub in the evenings.....smoking. :)

I guess there is a fine line. In our earlier years of cruising Celebrity....the officers and some of their staff used to hang out in various lounges......the late arriving passengers had standing room only. In my really early years of cruising......the officers trolled the ship for their "week long dates". times have changed. :)

Hi brigittetom,

You'll be delighted to learn that I saw several of the officers out and about, daytime and evenings on board QM2 on WB transatlantics in both 2012 & 2013 (December in both cases).

In May 2011 (WB TA) Captain Wright often took his lunch in the Kings Court with other officers, and I saw Commodore Rynd in the Lido on QE having lunch (on his own). When he'd finished he spoke to several passengers at other tables before he left.

I also saw three officers in the Winter Garden (QM2) on one cruise, they were spending a few minutes talking with passengers before moving on to a nearby table.

I guess you've been unlucky in the past :( , sorry!

(Hi eatsallinsects, The officers seen wandering aimlessly about QE2 were, like many of the passengers, totally confused and lost... they were stopping people not out of politeness, but to ask for directions... :D )

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

[quote name=pepperrn;

(Hi eatsallinsects' date=' The officers seen wandering aimlessly about QE2 were, like many of the passengers, totally confused and lost... they were stopping people not out of politeness, but to ask for directions... :D )

Best wishes,[/quote]

Funny BUT I don't think that Ian McNaught had any problem finding his way around that ship (LOL)!

They are both well established and tradtion

In the Ocean liner Industry

Hal has a lot more ships than Cunard

And offer very interesting and exotic cruises

Hal also does Transatlantic voyages

Hal is not big on the World cruises as

Cunard

As far as formal wear, Hal is formal

But not as regimented as Cunard

Yes, he was a "people person" as opposed to some of the others.

That's right. On my last cruise, in one of the shops on deck 3 of QM2, I saw a teddy wearing a captain's uniform. His name was 'Bernie'.

I thought this was very sweet - he is not forgotten! :)

I thought this was very sweet - he is not forgotten! :)

I have a picture of Commodore Warner walking down the gangplank for the last time with his officers lined up saluting and the QM2 whistling a salute as well. Truly a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

I have a picture of Commodore Warner walking down the gangplank for the last time with his officers lined up saluting and the QM2 whistling a salute as well. Truly a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

How nice and how lucky you were! There is a video as well called 'Cunard bids farewell to Commodore Warner', which I found very moving. It must have been hard for both him and his crew, but what can you do!

I am new to this Cruise Critic stuff - but am glad to hear that Cunard is taking a fresh look at their marketing. I am preparing a long letter outlining all of the things they are doing to "Carnivalize" Cunard. We have just turned Platinum on Cunard and have always loved their ships and service. While more elegant than most - they have even 'dumbed-down' this. They do need to re-think their image and whether they want to maintain that image of a World Class liner.

Back in January, 2008, on our third or fourth QM2 cruise I encountered Captain Rynd (as he was then) on Deck 11 by the A stairs. We exchanged "Good mornings" and he asked how I was enjoying the cruise. Great, said I, except for one complaint. He briefly closed his eyes and bowed his head before looking up and asking what that was. I told him that is was that the store no longer stocked dark chocolate Toblerone. He smilingly agreed that this was indeed a calamity and said that he would see what he could do. Well only five years later and after another half dozen QM2 bookings, he's the Commodore and the store (moved and enlarged) sells dark chocolate Toblerone once again.

P.S. I know that the Deck Division officers have absolutely nothing to do with how the concessionaires stock their shelves, but I thanked him anyway.