Solstice Questions

meh56

I have only sailed once on Celebrity. I am considering the Solstice to Alaska and have a few questions. Can you tell me does Celebrity bring a Naturalist on board for the Alaska ships. Everything I have read talks about one person giving educational information but it sounds like he is employed by Celebrity and not the US Parks Dept. Can you also tell me about Concierge and Aqua class? Are they worth the additional money and is the cabin location better? Any help would be appreciated.

Naturalists last summer were not Parks Service employees -- they were hired by the cruise lines. I would expect the same for this coming season.

In regards to the cabin categories, a good place to start is the descriptions provided on the Celebrity website -- see if the perks associated with these staterooms appeal to you. The size of the staterooms will be the same as the regular verandah rooms.

I'm not sure who the 'Naturalist' is on board but I do think they are employed by Celebrity. I wasn't too happy with the one we had but that is just my own personal opinion. As for Concierge and Aqua - it's all up to you. DH and I prefer to be higher on the ship and to certain areas and we find that these are the rooms that are normally Aqua or Concierge. We are generally happy to pay the extra price if we can, plus we do enjoy the amenities of Aqua as we like the spa.

I don't really see a benefit to Concierge....but you do get a 'snack' in the afternoon. We actually are going back on Solstice to Alaska in May - can't wait. Love the ship and love Alaska.

I've done the Solstice roundtrip from Seattle 2 years in a row and the naturalist on both trips was Brent Nixon, very good lecturer and full of information throughout the cruise. He is a X employee- don't know why you would think the US Parks Dept. would provide a naturalist on a private cruise liner. He is a little over the top on presentation due to his enthusiasm, but really entertaining with great information.

As to different categories of cabin, the advice already given is spot on. Look at the amenities, and price, and make a decision. Re Aqua class, you do get to eat in the Blu dining room which is in my opinion a step up from the MDR. Run more like a restaurant, than a banquet hall. Just my opinion.

I love the Solstice and Alaska is certainly not to be missed.

I've done the Solstice roundtrip from Seattle 2 years in a row and the naturalist on both trips was Brent Nixon, very good lecturer and full of information throughout the cruise.

That's great to hear. DH and I were on the Millennium and we were not too fond of the Naturalist - however, other people may have thought he was fine; just not our cup of tea.

I don't think a lecturer will appeal to every one according to your background and interest in their topics. On the Solstice, Nixon did 1 hour lectures on a variety of "Alaskan" topics as well as a running commentary when we floated Tracy Arm Fjord.

Some info was very basic and some was very detailed according to his own interests. Like you said, not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. I enjoyed the detailed lectures.

The Solstice is one of the best S-class ships. As for Aqua class and Concierge, take a look at the amenities and your budget. If you are considering trying Aqua class, this is a good ship to consider. Very relaxing atmosphere in Blu restaurant on the Solstice and great food. I also thought the food in the main dining room was real good on this ship as well.

To answer the question: Brent Nixon will be onboard the Solstice this cruise season 2014. I think he is excellent and my son and I thoroughly enjoyed his lectures (twice now). He is a very down to earth guy and is very enthusiastic about sea life- bears, sea otters, whales. Loved his lectures.

As for the parks department. Sometimes cruise ships do have member of the Alaskan Parks Department come on board while sailing through Glacier Bay, College Fjords, etc. Just for the day. I can't remember if they did that on my last Celebrity Alaska cruise.

You'll like Solstice- very nice ship.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain