Distance from Constellation to Akershus Fortress

Distance and time to walk from Constellation to Akershus Fortress?I know the ship looks pretty close to the fortress just wondering how long from the ship into the fortress grounds. Only in prt 230-900, every minute counts

THanks,

Kurt

On the July 2 sailing, Constellation docked at the ferry docks, another 15 minutes further from the fortress (at least). It was an inconvenient location since, among other things, the dockside shopping arcade is directly opposite the cruise docks. Princess was at the cruise docks, and we pax have been guessing that all the changes in our itinerary made us lose the first crack at the closer dock.

Yes, every minute counts! We didn't dock until 2:45, were cleared by 3:10. Plus our departure was moved up to 8:30, not 9:00. Originally they scheduled regular dinner seatings, but then relented and set up a buffet. The real problem is that the attractions close at 5:45 or 6:00 (not sure about shops), so you have only about 3 hours to see museums at Bygdoy, Munch museum, ski jump, etc. Only Frogner Park (Vigeland sculptures) is open 24 hours.

Decide what is most important, and then skedaddle to get there. The ferries to Bygdoy run only every 15 minutes, I believe, so you have to factor in waiting around time. While I'm hesitant to admit this, Celebrity tours that cover what you want to see may be the best bet here. There are public buses, trams, T-bane, and ferries. But they are not always as convenient as you might think (the schedule for the T-bane to ski jump is only every 15 minutes, and it's a long (at least 30 minutes, depending where you board) but a spectacular climb through woods and suburban housing.

Enjoy!

Steve

On the July 2 sailing, Constellation docked at the ferry docks, another 15 minutes further from the fortress (at least). It was an inconvenient location since, among other things, the dockside shopping arcade is directly opposite the cruise docks. Princess was at the cruise docks, and we pax have been guessing that all the changes in our itinerary made us lose the first crack at the closer dock.

Yes, every minute counts! We didn't dock until 2:45, were cleared by 3:10. Plus our departure was moved up to 8:30, not 9:00. Originally they scheduled regular dinner seatings, but then relented and set up a buffet. The real problem is that the attractions close at 5:45 or 6:00 (not sure about shops), so you have only about 3 hours to see museums at Bygdoy, Munch museum, ski jump, etc. Only Frogner Park (Vigeland sculptures) is open 24 hours.

Decide what is most important, and then skedaddle to get there. The ferries to Bygdoy run only every 15 minutes, I believe, so you have to factor in waiting around time. While I'm hesitant to admit this, Celebrity tours that cover what you want to see may be the best bet here. There are public buses, trams, T-bane, and ferries. But they are not always as convenient as you might think (the schedule for the T-bane to ski jump is only every 15 minutes, and it's a long (at least 30 minutes, depending where you board) but a spectacular climb through woods and suburban housing.

Enjoy!

Steve

Where is the Ferry docks located? I have a map of Oslo just can't seem to locate them. Thanks,

Kurt

Where is the Ferry docks located? I have a map of Oslo just can't seem to locate them.
Have a look at this map. Akershus Fortress is located by a red flag. There are two other red flags annotated "Cruise ship dock?" The one on the left is the dock which is in fact right below the castle - see the photo on this page. The flag on the right is near the ferry docks.

Source for map: This thread.

Have a look at this map. Akershus Fortress is located by a red flag. There are two other red flags annotated "Cruise ship dock?" The one on the left is the dock which is in fact right below the castle - see the photo on this page. The flag on the right is near the ferry docks.

Source for map: This thread.

Thanks, As of now, COnstellation 6/2006 is the only ship in port so hopefully it docks by the fortress.

Sorry to butt in, but Globaliser's webshot pictures of their cruise ship and a few sites are fantastic! Thanks for sharing and providing the link. I love looking at pictures, builds on anticipation. Globaliser's picture of the Jewel of the Sea are so good that they should be part of the RCI's glossy brochures.

Had fun looking through the pictures.

Cynthia

Thank you for those kind words! I love it when people like what I've done.

I made an offer in my review which still stands, if anyone is interested in high resolution versions of any of the photos in that album. As an alternative to posting to the thread, you can email me (but not instant message) via AOL - just use my handle to create the obvious address.

Archived