cruise insurance snafu

MS52

My sister always purchases cruise insurance through Royal since she is not in the best of health. She booked a cruise when she was on board in January 2013 for Grandeur of the Seas in January 2014. She included prepaid gratuities and insurance ($119 charge) on her booking. She has the original papers that shows the insurance purchase when she booked.

Somewhere along the line, the insurance was dropped by RC (another computer snafu??). That's my guess.

All year long, she made payments on the cruise. Made her final payment and didn't notice that insurance was no longer listed. And guess what, she ended up in the hospital 5 days before the cruise. When she went to submit her insurance, they told her she didn't have any. They said their records show that she called on 1/16/13 and dropped the insurance. She did not call and she did not drop the insurance.

Any ideas on where to go from here? She was in the hospital with heart problems (something new) and I'd like to keep her from getting too excited and do what I can to help.

Edited by MS52

My sister always purchases cruise insurance through Royal since she is not in the best of health. She booked a cruise when she was on board in January 2013 for Grandeur of the Seas in January 2014. She included prepaid gratuities and insurance ($119 charge) on her booking. She has the original papers that shows the insurance purchase when she booked.

Somewhere along the line, the insurance was dropped by RC (another computer snafu??). That's my guess.

All year long, she made payments on the cruise. Made her final payment and didn't notice that insurance was no longer listed. And guess what, she ended up in the hospital 5 days before the cruise. When she went to submit her insurance, they told her she didn't have any. They said their records show that she called on 1/16/13 and dropped the insurance. She did not call and she did not drop the insurance.

Any ideas on where to go from here? She was in the hospital with heart problems (something new) and I'd like to keep her from getting too excited and do what I can to help.

If the declarations/conditions (or otherwise labeled) section of the contract it should list specifics for cancellations, refund and assignment of contract. I would start there and then determine if they provided a refund via a check or credit back to a credit card. If there has been a refund and they conformed to the language in the contract, there may not be any recourse. However, if they have not provided any form of refund (partial or in full) and there was no breach of the policy conditions, I would check the contract for what options are allowed for appeal of denial of coverage. You also may want to just get on the phone with both RCCL and the Insurance Co, being sure to have all available documentation to support why the insurance should have remained in effect.

I'm only going to answer to keep your post active. Tough break. I always get insurance and have never had a problem with it being dropped. I would go with the original paperwork and call RCCL resolution department and tell them. I think it'll be hard to prove that she didn't cancel it. Unfortunately when we make final payment, it's fairly imperative to look at the invoice and make sure we know what we are purchasing. I always make sure I have a copy of my insurance when it's not RCCL insurance, and that it is noted on the invoice when I use RCCL. Good luck. Perhaps you can convince them to at least allow some sort of future credit. Let us know how it comes out.

That is most unfortunate. But I suspect she is out of luck. However it happened, it's certainly not in RCI's interest to cancel insurance- it's a HUGE moneymaker for them. So I have to assume the she inadvertently cancelled it, even if she didn't in fact call them.

Having said that, if she really ALWAYS buys it, she might be able to get someone to be sympathetic to her by demonstrating that it is out of character for her not to have it. Maybe she'll get something out of it. But I wouldn't look for a full refund. Maybe a partial credit towards future travel.

Edited by leisuretraveler223

That is most unfortunate. But I suspect she is out of luck. However it happened, it's certainly not in RCI's interest to cancel insurance- it's a HUGE moneymaker for them. So I have to assume the she inadvertently cancelled it, even if she didn't in fact call them.

Having said that, if she really ALWAYS buys it, she might be able to get someone to be sympathetic to her by demonstrating that it is out of character for her not to have it. Maybe she'll get something out of it. But I wouldn't look for a full refund. Maybe a partial credit towards future travel.

I suspect she is s*** out of luck also. RCI said she called and cancelled it in 1/16/13 (not cancelled online). I believe we were still on our cruise on that date.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if/how it was resolved.

Someone posted that she should have noticed...yes, I guess she should have but didn't. She had been making payments each month and just didn't take notice that the amount was reduced.

There was no refund since it "was dropped" a week after it was booked. So no credit card credits or anything like that.

If nothing else, maybe this post will help someone else in the future. ALWAYS CHECK everything twice!

Edited by MS52

If you make changes to passenger information in the booking on the website, it's possible to accidentally have gratuities and/or insurance removed without realizing it.

Happened to us last year.

BUT that's not what RC said happened.

BUT that's not what RC said happened.

Just because RCI said it happened differently doesn't mean it's true.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone here. Just pointing out how it's possible for a customer to accidentally remove insurance from their booking without realizing it.

For all we know, that may be exactly what happened, but RCI made something up just to get the customer off the phone. Unless we have actual phone records from Jan 16th, we don't even know if a phone call took place between the customer and RCI.

Edited by nolesrule

Just because RCI said it happened differently doesn't mean it's true.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone here. Just pointing out how it's possible for a customer to accidentally remove insurance from their booking without realizing it.

For all we know, that may be exactly what happened, but RCI made something up just to get the customer off the phone. Unless we have actual phone records from Jan 16th, we don't even know if a phone call took place between the customer and RCI.

We were on a cruise on 1/16 - I don't believe there was a phone call :o

We were on a cruise on 1/16 - I don't believe there was a phone call :o

Right, so go "Colombo" on them and send them a fax of her prior cruise history from her C&A dashboard, a set sail pass, anything that shows she was at sea (hopefully it wasn't a US port day) and ask them to explain just how their records show she called to cancel it. It'd be interesting to see what the response is and IF it leads to discussion of what actually occurred and IF this could lead to a reinstatement of coverage (even if slim since that was no consideration in the form of payment).

If you make changes to passenger information in the booking on the website, it's possible to accidentally have gratuities and/or insurance removed without realizing it.

Happened to us last year.

I agree. Their website is awful and error prone and difficult to use at times. It needs to be rewritten.

Did she book through a TA or direct with RCCL? Just call

You are also welcome to call our Corporate Guest Relations Department:

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST

Saturday - Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST • (800) 256-6649

Please call and speak to someone.

First experience with RC issues - February, 2013. three couples on cruise two with same last name, one with different name. All three couples had cruise credits applied to "their" reservation. Well after three trips to guest relations and some issues resolved, I had to write them and submit documentation to clear up the issue. We all applied each certificate to our individual reservation prior to the cruise. If RC had applied each cruise credit appropriately to each reservation, I wouldn't have had to spend five hours of my time to resolve their error.

Second issue while on an Explorer cruise in October 2013 with my sister and fiancée, she booked a next cruise joining myself and husband on the quantum for a February 2015 cruise. I received her paperwork and kept trying to transfer her reservation to my TA but my TA received no response from RC. I faxed the documentation twice and mailed it once. They never contacted my sister to inform her of any problem. The night before my sister and I were leaving on a constellation cruise in December I called RC and the agent informed me that my sister cancelled the cruise. My sister got on the phone and stated she never cancelled. I had reserved a family connected family suite and she reserved the connecting balcony suite. The agent informed us that the cabin she booked was reserved the day after "RC" cancelled her cruise. It turns out they cancelled the cruise because they state she called her credit card company and disputed the charge. I was with her when she booked the quantum cruise and she handed the associate her amex charge. When she got home from our constellation cruise she told her daughter of the RC problem and it was then that her daughter told her that she received a charge on "her own " credit card that she did not authorize and disputed it and it was for Royal and the exact same amount. My niece had sent my sister and fiancée a cruise credit for $500 for the explorer cruise which did not get screwed up and was applied appropriately. Why would RC use my nieces's credit card number that was evidently stored in their computer system and not the credit card my sister gave the associate to charge the next cruise on? Royal makes a lot of mistakes.

Third - constellation cruise - I prepaid my tips along with my sisters. Each day they were charging $12 for tips. I went to guest services three times and was assured my credit card and my sister's would not be charged to $60 each. Both credit cards were charged the $12 x 5 days. I emailed twice and nearly one month after the cruise no reply at all. Finally I disputed the charge with my credit card company and that same day I received a phone call apologizing for the delay in getting back to both my emails and the screwup on the ship. Yes they corrected it - but three times to guest services and two emails to have to finally call my credit card company to dispute.

This company is either short of staff which relates to the backlog, but my advice is I will not leave the guest relations desk unless I see the adjustment made to my account. I shouldn't have to make three trips to guest relations for errors on their part.

Keep on top of them as they initially my sister cancelled the cruise.

I have started paying for the cruise insurance at the time I book the cruise. Then I know for sure it is taken care of. I didn't realize they don't charge you for the insurance until final payment. That should also cover you for any preexisting conditions if they happen between booking and final payment.

Sorry this happened. I hope it gets straightened out in your favor. Good luck.

Gwen :)

Did she book through a TA or direct with RCCL? Just call

You are also welcome to call our Corporate Guest Relations Department:

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST

Saturday - Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST • (800) 256-6649

Please call and speak to someone.

She booked while inboard a previous cruise. No travel agent was involved.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We too pay ahead of time. I do know is if you want the full coverage offered under Royals insurance you MUST pay for your insurance well ahead of time. They will mark your payment specifically for insurance. According to my TA you really don't have insurance until it is paid for and if you wait to final payment date you don't have the advantage of the full policy because some coverage are only in place if you pay for them 90 & I think even 180 days out. You may say well you don't owe Royal anything if you cancel 70 days out. Well if you are like me hotel & airfare are already booked. We never wait anymore.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I had the same thing happen to me. When I made the final payment which included trip insurance from the time of booking, I noticed a box that asked if I wanted trip insurance. I checked no because I already had it included in the cost. After my final payment, and checking my credit card statement I noticed a refund from RCCL for $118. My new statement no longer showed us having insurance. I called RCCL and they said that because my final payment had been made that they could not add it. They game me the number of the insurance company, and said I should call them myself. I did this, and paid the insurance company directly with a check. My question to RCCL was that if I said yes when I first booked the cruise, then why did they ask me again causing confusion on my part. The booking data should have showed that I had already accepted it. We are back now and had a safe trip.:)