Hobby to port?

C Cruise Dude

I need info on transportation from Hobby to Galveston. Anyone know what Royal charges? How long to and from the port. How late should I book a return flight?

If you use the search function you will find answers to all your questions.

I had stuck my two cents here before the CC database crashed yesterday but my comment disappeared.

First of all, the search function hasn't been working consistently right for a while. I've searched a board or thread with exact wording of something I've seen and gotten no results.

I think the reason this question keeps being asked is that the answers seem so unsatisfying to those of us flying in. (For the record I haven't yet flown to Houston yet - but with my cruise OCD I've read everything I can find in preparation for our May Navigator cruise).

I compare HOU to Galveston to MCO to Port Canaveral. Almost exact distance and time of drive with no traffic (approx 45 miles/minutes).

At MCO, we stepped out of the terminal, walked to the car rental, and were on our way in 15 minutes. After spending the day last minute shopping, sightseeing, etc, we drove to the drop off point and immediately were shuttled to the ship 5 minutes away. All this for under $80 for an SUV. (Sedan was quite a bit less, but we had 4 adults that don't know the meaning of packing light :) )

In comparison, at HOU there are only 2 agencies that allow a one way dropoff. Avis is a $35-40 cab ride back to the port. Enterprise is on Galveston but closes at noon Saturday, useless for those sailing on Sunday or wanting return rental. There seems to be a huge surcharge to rent from the airport, which requires a shuttle anyway.

Most of the airport shuttle vans have 3 departure times, which we would just miss or have to wait for 2 hours. The cruise ship transfers go to IAH not HOU.

Our best bet seems to be a taxi or car service for approx $200 for 2 round trip. That's OK, but more than likely we won't sail from Galveston again. I guess there are enough Texans to fill the ships without us!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by delacruz

We are looking into the Stay and Cruise package at La Quinta near Hobby. We really wanted to stay in Galveston, but getting there is too expensive just to stay there for one night. The La Quinta rate is $179 and you get transportation from HOU to the hotel, free breakfast in the morning, shuttle to the port, and shuttle back to HOU when you return. This seems to be the best deal right now.

I had stuck my two cents here before the CC database crashed yesterday but my comment disappeared.

First of all, the search function hasn't been working consistently right for a while. I've searched a board or thread with exact wording of something I've seen and gotten no results.

I think the reason this question keeps being asked is that the answers seem so unsatisfying to those of us flying in. (For the record I haven't yet flown to Houston yet - but with my cruise OCD I've read everything I can find in preparation for our May Navigator cruise).

I compare HOU to Galveston to MCO to Port Canaveral. Almost exact distance and time of drive with no traffic (approx 45 miles/minutes).

At MCO, we stepped out of the terminal, walked to the car rental, and were on our way in 15 minutes. After spending the day last minute shopping, sightseeing, etc, we drove to the drop off point and immediately were shuttled to the ship 5 minutes away. All this for under $80 for an SUV. (Sedan was quite a bit less, but we had 4 adults that don't know the meaning of packing light :) )

In comparison, at HOU there are only 2 agencies that allow a one way dropoff. Avis is a $35-40 cab ride back to the port. Enterprise is on Galveston but closes at noon Saturday, useless for those sailing on Sunday or wanting return rental. There seems to be a huge surcharge to rent from the airport, which requires a shuttle anyway.

Most of the airport shuttle vans have 3 departure times, which we would just miss or have to wait for 2 hours. The cruise ship transfers go to IAH not HOU.

Our best bet seems to be a taxi or car service for approx $200 for 2 round trip. That's OK, but more than likely we won't sail from Galveston again. I guess there are enough Texans to fill the ships without us!

I couldn't agree more, transportation is a huge pain in Galveston. We're going down 2 days prior as we wanted to spend a little time in Galveston first however it's a huge pain. In our case Enterprise is already out of cars for May! Sooo Avis it is.. in Texas City. Hoping there are some big changes to come with this big port update. Otherwise I agree it's a pain and expensive. ugh.

We fly out this Saturday for our Navigator cruise leaving on Sunday. My group of 8 has a Super Shuttle for $37 RT per person from Hobby to our hotel in Galveston and then from the port to Hobby on return. You should check them out.

I need info on transportation from Hobby to Galveston. Anyone know what Royal charges? How long to and from the port. How late should I book a return flight?

The Royal shuttle from Hobby to Galveston is $32 per person each way ($64 round trip). The earliest departure flight time in order to use the shuttle service is 12:30pm on disembarkation day.

• 2 weeks later...
We have done and will be doing again the LaQuinta package. It's very convenient. I just received message of fog delay so I will need to get the details on shuttle for day of cruising.

sg4crzn: I just tried to call the La Quinta for information on the shuttle pick up times after the cruise as I am trying to figure out which flights to book. The woman that answered the phone could not have been more rude. I asked for more information on the package and she said that I would have to wait and talk to them once I checked in. I explained that I needed more information because I needed to book flights and she pretty much said too bad, that I'd have to wait until we got there to talk to the driver. I'm rethinking this whole cruise now.

The cruise package is now $249 instead of $179. Grrrr. Also, I agree with the previous post. Woman who answered phone at La Quinta was extremely rude and didn't want to help with cruise package questions whatsoever. I'm now trying to find a shuttle from Hobby to Galveston (our flight arrives @ 11:10pm night before cruise). Will look into the shuttle others have suggested. Thanks for the info:)

We fly out this Saturday for our Navigator cruise leaving on Sunday. My group of 8 has a Super Shuttle for $37 RT per person from Hobby to our hotel in Galveston and then from the port to Hobby on return. You should check them out.

How was supper shuttle? I see they have bad reviews on trip advisor and yelp and most shuttle companies have bad reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Were on the Navigator on the 18th of May, getting into Hobby at 4:40 pm on the 17th....no shuttles operate after 5:00 pm so we are looking at a Taxi Service for 2.....$90.00 for 2 people one way.....Is this Good and how much should we tip?

Anybody else going down late afternoon on Saturday the 17th?

Thanks

Mike

Transportation from HOU to port is a huge pain! When we cruised in October we found it cheaper to rent a car for the week and pay for parking. You might check into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We did the La Quinta shuttle last week and it went off without a hitch. The RT transfers for up to 4 for what works out to be about $100 can't be beat. The shuttle is a separate company from the hotel, so that may be why the people at La Quinta didn't want to deal with you, especially if they were busy at the time.

• 1 month later...
The cruise package is now $249 instead of $179. Grrrr.

Plus $50 taxes = $300 for family of 4 :eek:.

Sooooo, are there any other hotel options that offer similar packages from HOU to Galveston and back?

Gina

Hello fellow Oregonian....I have found that Galveston is not as easy of a port to deal with if you are flying in. I am flying in over the Fourth of July which has made it even more challenging. I finally decided to use some marriott points. Staying for free at JW Marriott in Houston then using Lady Bird transportation.... I really wanted to spend a couple days inn Galveston but due to the holiday weekend the hotel rates are around 250 a night for a super 8. Moral of story. Cruising out of Galveston for people who have to fly adds quite a bit of money to the vacation.

With that all said, still can't wait for the cruise.

Hello fellow Oregonian....I have found that Galveston is not as easy of a port to deal with if you are flying in. I am flying in over the Fourth of July which has made it even more challenging. I finally decided to use some marriott points. Staying for free at JW Marriott in Houston then using Lady Bird transportation.... I really wanted to spend a couple days inn Galveston but due to the holiday weekend the hotel rates are around 250 a night for a super 8. Moral of story. Cruising out of Galveston for people who have to fly adds quite a bit of money to the vacation.

With that all said, still can't wait for the cruise.

Flying in adds quite a bit if money to any vacation

any where you try to travel to .

Especially on holidays.

If you travel anywhere there are costs.

Galvestion is a major tourist destination

with alot of things to do and see.

SSB - Yes, I agree Flying adds cost. I was not trying to say it didnt. I guess what is different with Galveston is this. If you fly to FFL or MIA the ports are so close that transportation from airport to port is not usually that big of a concern. Galveston.. there is no easy answer here on keeping that cost down. it will add hundreds of dollars just for transportation.

And yes, My bad on not fully thinking out Galveston and a holiday weekend....

Plus $50 taxes = $300 for family of 4 :eek:.

Sooooo, are there any other hotel options that offer similar packages from HOU to Galveston and back?

Gina

You think that's bad for 4, I'm charged the same for 2. I am thinking about just taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then picking up Carnival's shuttle.

SSB - Yes, I agree Flying adds cost. I was not trying to say it didnt. I guess what is different with Galveston is this. If you fly to FFL or MIA the ports are so close that transportation from airport to port is not usually that big of a concern. Galveston.. there is no easy answer here on keeping that cost down. it will add hundreds of dollars just for transportation.

And yes, My bad on not fully thinking out Galveston and a holiday weekend....

I'm in the same boat so to speak. Flying is the ONLY option for cruising when you live in Oregon :rolleyes:. It's just part of the cost to cruise. I'm just used to cruising out of ports of call that are big enough and popular enough to have car rental services available, which is not the case with Galveston. Or ports of call that have affordable shuttle options.

I just assumed that there were car rental agencies everywhere, LOL. Live and learn. My bad for booking spontaneously with a non-refundable deposit and not doing my homework/research first. We'll have a great time but it will definitely be my last time cruising out of Galveston ;).

Happy sailing fellow Oregonian!!!

Gina

Edited by Eeyoregon

You think that's bad for 4, I'm charged the same for 2. I am thinking about just taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then picking up Carnival's shuttle.

I hear ya'!! Good luck and happy cruising!

So sorry the port is not close enough to the airport:rolleyes:

I guess the powers that be felt the big airport on the north side would better serve a city of 6 million than an island of 47,000:confused:

Who cares where the airport is. It's closer than most airports are to the ports. The problem is that there aren't car rental companies or affordable shuttle services like ALL other major cities/cruise terminals have. I'll just call it a learning curve and sail on :p.