Teens Club for someone who has just turned 18

Oriana1

Does anyone know if Celebrity Solstice allow my daughter who will have just turned 18 year old to attend the Teens Club? We are travelling with another family whose two children (aged 15 and 16) will be in the Teens Club.

Kim

Does anyone know if Celebrity Solstice allow my daughter who will have just turned 18 year old to attend the Teens Club? We are travelling with another family whose two children (aged 15 and 16) will be in the Teens Club.

Kim

I understand where you're coming from but look at it from the perspective of Celebrity, and that of the parents of the teens and preteens (often combined) who will be there. You say your daughter will have just turned 18.... when? The day before? Week before? 2 months before? If they allow someone who "just turned 18" where should they draw the line instead? If they say, "well, we'll make an exception for those who just turned 18 within the past 30 days" someone will say "my son just turned 18 35 days ago; that's only 5 more days so why can't he be allowed in too?" Next thing you know there's an argument that an almost 20 year old should be allowed in. At some point, a line must be drawn. :)

Having said that, it's been my experience with my own son (who was 14 last time he went on a cruise) that many teens tend to use the actual club very little. They go maybe the first day, but once they meet other kids, they often skip the planned activities and just meet up on their own. So maybe the 15 and 16 year old can go the first day or two, and then as they meet kids and make arrangements to meet up outside the club, your daughter can then join them for the rest of the week.

Edited by waterbug123

Agree with the others that the teens don't tend to use the teen club for much other than to meet other kids their age on the first night. Since they already have each other, they may be fine from the get go. Or, send the younger teens the first night, they can gather a larger group and then the 18 y/o can join them. They will probably just walk around the ship, eat in the buffet, hit the hot tubs and burn your wifi using whatever social media is the latest craze, anyways. ;)

Hi Kim. We will be in a similar situation on our Christmas cruise. Our older DD will be a senior in high school but will just have turned 18. I agree with those who say that 18 year olds are not allowed to "attend" the teen club. However, here is a post that mentions some activities that help 18-20 year olds meet up on the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41438531&postcount=9

In the past, my DD would use the X Club as a place to meet others her age. She wouldn't actually do many of their activities, but it was a place to meet up and then leave the club area and do something with others. Also, our experience is that most of the teens who "attend" the X Club will be the younger ones. X Club starts with age 12, and sometimes they let 11 year olds in when their parents demand it. So your 18 year old will probably prefer to find others her age and do stuff independently with the 15 and 16 year old.

I noticed your cruise is in April. I'd love it if you would come back afterward and post some comments about your 18 year old's on board experience. Our cruise isn't until December so we'll be curious to hear about her experience.

Edited by junglejane

Kim

once you are 18 you have aged out of the teen club. there is almost NO room for leeway/exceptions here. it is a legal issue.

Honestly- there is no sign in but if they ask to see the room card or something- then they would know I suspect because kids room cards are blue. We were on Celebrity Solstice in May and my son and I played ping pong in the teen center every single day and there was no one manning the teen center. There were like zero kids on that cruise (apart from my son and perhaps two others that I ever saw onboard).

I really don't know if anyone would say anything at all if your daughter went there.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hi Kim. We will be in a similar situation on our Christmas cruise. Our older DD will be a senior in high school but will just have turned 18. I agree with those who say that 18 year olds are not allowed to "attend" the teen club. However, here is a post that mentions some activities that help 18-20 year olds meet up on the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41438531&postcount=9

In the past, my DD would use the X Club as a place to meet others her age. She wouldn't actually do many of their activities, but it was a place to meet up and then leave the club area and do something with others. Also, our experience is that most of the teens who "attend" the X Club will be the younger ones. X Club starts with age 12, and sometimes they let 11 year olds in when their parents demand it. So your 18 year old will probably prefer to find others her age and do stuff independently with the 15 and 16 year old.

I noticed your cruise is in April. I'd love it if you would come back afterward and post some comments about your 18 year old's on board experience. Our cruise isn't until December so we'll be curious to hear about her experience.

Hi Jungle Jane,

We are going on the Solstice in April 2014 just for eight nights around the Pacific. Our daughter will be fine for teens club for that cruise as she will be 17 years old. It is for the cruise we have just booked for April 2015 when she will be 18 years old. The cruise is on Celebrity Solstice going from Sydney to Honolulu (18 nights). We did that same cruise on Solstice in April 2013 and there were only 40 teenagers on board. The two other children who we met on the April 2013 cruise, we have all decided to go again in April 2015 (same ship/same ports/same time of year). On the cruise last year the three children (plus about another nine teenagers) would go to teens club, escape and eat, walk around the ship, more eating and then back to teens club (this went from 10.00 am to about 2.00 am in the morning).

My daughter has been on 13 cruises and said that the teens club on Solstice was the best one she has been to.

There were no activities specifically for 18 to 20 year olds as I could count on one hand passengers in that age group. I will see if there is anything for 18 to 20 year olds on the short eight night cruise.

I may ask, when we go on the ship in April 2014, if there is any chance she could attend teens club. Even if it means the two other children go in, make friends and then escape with those children and my daughter just joins in.

Luckily my daughter will not be able to drink alcohol. In Australia you can drink alcohol from 18 years of age but because the ship goes to an American port the age for drinking alcohol will be 21 years. That is okay with her (and me).

Kim