Le Havre excursion to Paris...how much?

janny444

It was super easy to catch the train right by the port....cheap too. Just not a lot of time to spend in Paris! We had enough time to walk up to the Louvre and back to train. We were afraid to try to catch the last train and potentially miss the ship. There was a group of Braziliians who did it right. They preplanned and basically left the ship at this port and planned the rest of their vacation in Paris. Smart. Wish we would have thought of that. All that was missed was onesies day and for that they spent the rest of their vacation time in Paris and flew home from there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ps, the train cost so etching like $80-100 for both of us round trip. I think it was a two hour trip into Paris. Our trip was two years ago, so my memory of prices and travel time hazy, but I remember thinking the cost was extremely affordable. I never thought I was interested in going to Paris and after that short trip into Paris I know I want to go back! If your scenario is the same as ours was, I would do what the Brazillians on our trip did and just disembark at Paris and loose one sea day and make air reservations to fly home from Paris!!!

We did the Paris on your Own excursion from X. Pretty much not worth it. We hit traffic going into the city, so it took I believe 3.5-4 hours to get there and another 3 to get back. We spent less time in Paris than we did on the bus, and felt very rushed the entire time. If i had it to do again, I'd go elsewhere or stay on the ship that day. Paris is worth a few days or even week or more in itself. The only thing we got to do was go to (and up) the Eiffel tower, but that's because we bought tickets prior to going on vacation.

It was 109 per person, and our time in the city was not the stated 5.5 hours, since we hit traffic on the way in.

Edited by ariawoman

We did the Paris on your Own excursion from X. Pretty much not worth it. We hit traffic going into the city, so it took I believe 3.5-4 hours to get there and another 3 to get back. We spent less time in Paris than we did on the bus, and felt very rushed the entire time. If i had it to do again, I'd go elsewhere or stay on the ship that day. Paris is worth a few days or even week or more in itself. The only thing we got to do was go to (and up) the Eiffel tower, but that's because we bought tickets prior to going on vacation.

I have say that as much as I adore Paris, you are correct about the excursion being not worth it. So much time getting to and from, and not enough time being there. I'd recommend doing it only if someone has never seen Paris before and is of the "anything is better than nothing" mindset. Otherwise I'd say to go the lovely Honfleur for the day and skip the Paris excursion.

Ps, the train cost so etching like $80-100 for both of us round trip. I think it was a two hour trip into Paris. Our trip was two years ago, so my memory of prices and travel time hazy, but I remember thinking the cost was extremely affordable. I never thought I was interested in going to Paris and after that short trip into Paris I know I want to go back! If your scenario is the same as ours was, I would do what the Brazillians on our trip did and just disembark at Paris and loose one sea day and make air reservations to fly home from Paris!!!

that is a brilliant solution! The good thing is that ships in Europe are very amenable to people leaving at different ports of of call, unlike in the Caribbean.

Several years ago, I just took the train, no traffic problems on my own. Very easy to get tix at the train station. Once in Paris, I took the Metro to the Lourve and had a great time, including lunch. Not very touristy, but what I wanted to do. Reversed the route on the way home. I had no troubles and I don't even speak French.

The trick in any large city and limited time is to be very picky about what you decide to see and then plan another trip at a later date.

Good luck, and remember you can do this on your own with a little planning.

There is no way I would try to do Paris from Le Havre. First of all the Normandy Coast and D-Day sights are totally worth seeing, and the tiny glimpse you get of Paris on a day trip isn't worth the effort to get there.

Two years ago we disembarked the TA at Le Havre (vs Harwich) and spent a week in Normandy and Brittany (my new favorite part of France) and then two weeks in Paris. Even a few days at the end of the cruise would be totally worth it. But for a couple of hours? That's just painful! And Paris isn't like Rome, where you actually can see a lot in a port stop if you plan it right.

Lancashire? Does that mean you are in the UK? If so, and if you want to see Paris there are lots better ways to do so than the torture of a one-day bus trip from Le Havre! Why not rent a car in Le Havre then drive west over the Pont du Normandie (spectacular), go to Honfleur and on to the west as far as your ambition takes you. You could go all the way to Arromanches and the D-Day beaches. Alternatively, you could go east from Le Havre and see the famous shoreline around Etretat and Fecamp. Or go to lovely Rouen, see the cathedral and the spot where Joan was executed, etc.

It was super easy to catch the train right by the port....cheap too. Just not a lot of time to spend in Paris! We had enough time to walk up to the Louvre and back to train. We were afraid to try to catch the last train and potentially miss the ship. There was a group of Braziliians who did it right. They preplanned and basically left the ship at this port and planned the rest of their vacation in Paris. Smart. Wish we would have thought of that. All that was missed was onesies day and for that they spent the rest of their vacation time in Paris and flew home from there.

Yes you can plan your own travels to Paris. Paris is about 2 hours from the port by bus. We used Celebrity tour. Others took the train. As it happened someone jumped in front the train that day outside of Paris on its way to Le Havre. Cruises passenger did make it back in time that were on the train. But the taxi ride did cost them plenty. It is one thing to hire a private tour near them ship. It is another to go hours away. Do you fell lucky? Richard