Newie with questions!

PaperSniper4

PaperSniper4,

If you're not working with a TA you probably need to. They can give you advice and quote some prices for you and throw in some goodies as well. Mine can give me an excellent idea of what the entire cost of a cruise will be including airfare.

You're the consumer and you need someone in your corner if things go bad.

You get their expertise free!!

We also buy trip insurance. We're already spending thousands, a few more hundreds buys peace of mind.

Avalon cabin size is far better, also payment is only 90days prior to cruise so if any issues pop up it is easy to cancel or change cruise as we had too last year.

Difference in cost isn't as great if you take cost of having money out of your bank account for over 12months

That would seem to make sense, but then I see rates higher in May than June, and that seems illogical. Also, Avalon had a 10% discount on a cruise sailing on 4 July, but the regular price the week after and before that one. Odd. The Avalon agent with whom I spoke had no idea why that was either......

The reason that Avalon's prices vary for different dates is because they

charge more for their new "suite" ships. The suite ships debuted first in

2011. Also cruise companies run specials on particular dates because they know based on historical data which weeks need incentives to entice people to book.

I am surprised by the difference in price that you are finding between Avalon and Viking.

I book my Avalon cruises through a large online site and I get excellent discounts. Just google discount rates for European river cruises and you will find the online companies.

The balance due on Avalon cruises is 90 days before you sail. I refuse to fund Vikings building craze and I am offended by their advertising ploys which claim that the are offering 2 for 1 prices.

Yes, I am a happy Avalon cruiser. We have a Rhine cruise and a South American adventure/cruise booked for 2014.

I am trying to decide where we are headed for 2015.

Enjoy your travels.

Edited by Shebely

• 3 weeks later...

To OP,

Looks like a great plan to me because the best times for repositioning are often the best time on a river, spring or fall.

We are doing the same thing in reverse with a Viking river cruise on the Yangste before meeting up with a Celebrity cruise in Northern Asia and then a Transpacific to Vancouver.

Have a great time, whatever you decide. .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

PaperSniper,

Ask Viking about airfare from Memphis. I just booked a cruise, and flying from Nashville was only $1 per person more than flying from Atlanta.

Your mileage may vary!!

FuelScience

I did when I booked. It was roughly $1400 from either Memphis or Nashville. I think I can beat that by perhaps 4-5 USD (total) by booking my own. I think the airfare for our dates (June 2015) will be out around July this year; I'll start looking then.

You might want to look at Vantages "Switzerland & the Heart of the Rhine and Moselle. It's a 16 day tour, and it does both the Rhine and the Moselle. I've never sailed with Vantage, but I love this itinerary and plan to try it.

People on CC who've sailed Vantage seem pleased with the line. The only downside I've seen is that they DO NOT include free wine and beer with meals.

FuelScience

https://www.vantagetravel.com/Trip/1792/Switzerland-and-the-Heart-of-the-Rhine-and-Moselle

People on CC who've sailed Vantage seem pleased with the line. The only downside I've seen is that they DO NOT include free wine and beer with meals.

FuelScience

https://www.vantagetravel.com/Trip/1792/Switzerland-and-the-Heart-of-the-Rhine-and-Moselle

They do include beer and wine on some of their cruises. If you check the ships listed you can see the ones that include beer and wine on their itineraries.

http://www.vantagetravel.com/ship/amenities.aspx?shipid=171