Cunard to do away with Grills?

keithm

You can get adjustable ones that fasten at the back of the neck like this

34ep5bn.jpg

For band collars you get those which fasten in the front. They are the better choice. Both types and Kummerbund are available in the sjip's shop at reasonable prices.

It's clear Cunard plans to push the Grills rather than remove them. The current advertising prominently displays the Grills classes and their web images push the luxury that is often associated with Cunard liners (e.g., the white gloved steward carrying the trademark LV bag).

Given that Grills suites seem to sell quicker/better than Britannia accommodation (judging by online searches through Cunard) on many voyages I think it's quite ignorant to be suggesting the withdrawal of this class of travel.

Now the US and UK are recovering from the GFC I'm sure Cunard will begin to see a revival in passenger numbers. The airlines are beginning to see a gradual return to pre 2008 First and Business travel numbers, so luxury cruise lines and hotels are bound to be on the up as well.

It's a bit of a shame in some ways as it means 5 star travel will become more expensive again. The GFC was great for Aussies as prices in the US and Europe dropped. Coupled with the AUD rising to parity and above, the last half a decade was a golden age for travel.

That said, I cannot wait for April when I can start planning a 2015 TA voyage on QM2 (aiming to surprise a travelling companion with Grills)! Given that Titanic 2 is very unlikely to move off the drawing board, Cunard will continue to have a monopoly on the Atlantic for a long time to come.

It's clear Cunard plans to push the Grills rather than remove them. The current advertising prominently displays the Grills classes and their web images push the luxury that is often associated with Cunard liners (e.g., the white gloved steward carrying the trademark LV bag). Given that Grills suites seem to sell quicker/better than Britannia accommodation (judging by online searches through Cunard) on many voyages I think it's quite ignorant to be suggesting the withdrawal of this class of travel. Now the US and UK are recovering from the GFC I'm sure Cunard will begin to see a revival in passenger numbers. The airlines are beginning to see a gradual return to pre 2008 First and Business travel numbers, so luxury cruise lines and hotels are bound to be on the up as well. ... Given that Titanic 2 is very unlikely to move off the drawing board, Cunard will continue to have a monopoly on the Atlantic for a long time to come.
Well said :) . Thank you. Edited by pepperrn

I can't see why they would get rid of the Grills: these yield far more income than the extra costs involved. Their biggest problem will be to raise prices in the Britannia grades where many have got used to the very low prices of the last few years.

David.

That's a very good description indeed.

But it's odd, when that type of grading is applied to a plane, people have no issue with it, but when it's applied to a ship, it becomes a "class system". I've never been able to work that one out.

And the same happens in hotels, stadiums, etc :eek:

Well- quite understandable- and a very good idea- I would not appreciate do dine in the Princess and Grill Restaurants every night. I like the atmosphere in Britannia- so it is nice to choose ones dinning options! If wanna have an upscale meal, dinner- well - possible just book a Spec. Restaurant!

Apparently, Celebrity is launching a new category called "Suite Class" next year.

"...Suite Class guests can expect exclusive experiences and 24-hour pampering when it debuts on all Celebrity ships, except Xpedition, during the 2015-2016 season.

Among the services: unlimited Internet and alcoholic beverages, a dedicated restaurant for all meals, complimentary dining in all the specialty restaurants, butler service 24 hours a day, daily high tea in your suite, and no need to jostle for a spot with priority seating for any entertainment productions..." copied from http://www.leaderpost.com/travel/Celebrity+launch+Suite+Class/9561972/story.html

...Among the services: unlimited Internet and alcoholic beverages, a dedicated restaurant for all meals, complimentary dining in all the specialty restaurants, butler service 24 hours a day, daily high tea in your suite, and no need to jostle for a spot with priority seating for any entertainment productions..."

Except for the unlimited internet and adult beverages, roughly the same as QG. Although I've read that on some lines there the "inclusive" wines and drinks which are complimentary but also "premium" varieties that are charged.

I would not want to see roped off seating areas in the Royal Court Theater or Illuminations just for Grill passengers. (Even though I've traveled in the Grills.) Because these are ship public venues it would be an in-your-face statement to the majority of the passengers that they don't quite belong there.

Edited by BlueRiband

I would not want to see roped off seating areas in the Royal Court Theater or Illuminations just for Grill passengers. (Even though I've traveled in the Grills.) Because these are ship public venues it would be an in-your-face statement to the majority of the passengers that they don't quite belong there.

Hear! Hear! I hope that we can all agree with you on this. QM2's grand public spaces, open to all, are among her best features.

Hear! Hear! I hope that we can all agree with you on this. QM2's grand public spaces, open to all, are among her best features.

Hear!! Hear!! NO need for further discrimination...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hear!! Hear!! NO need for further discrimination...

What is discriminatory about the Grills?

People pay more so why shouldn't they get extras?

I am not suggesting that part of the Public spaces be roped off, but what is wrong with QG and PG having something special?

I cannot go to Blu on Celebrity unless I am in Aqua Class. I cannot eat breakfast at Sabatinis on Princess unless I am in a suite.

I must be misunderstanding your comment.

I don't travel in the Grills as steerage is luxurious enough for me, (though a complimentary upgrade is always welcome). I sincerely hope Cunard maintains the Grills because, I believe, those passengers subsidize my fare.

At $20,000+ I bet they do! ;-). Remember I was QG last voyage. Loved it! But, see NO reason to cordon off Royal Court or anywhere else...

Someone posted (complained) about seeing shorts and sandals on a formal night during the recent Caribbean Fiesta cruise... We must have seen the same guy... But, unless you take a circuitous route to the theater after dinner, you walk through King's Court. But, hey, he was allowed to as he wasn't anywhere else.

• 1 month later...

The good old British separation by class is way outdated! We are on vacation on-board a cruise ship and not trying to show off who is richer than others. Just want to have some fun with the family. No wonder Cunard is not profitable at all and sold to cheap old Carnival American owner.

;)

The good old British separation by class is way outdated! We are on vacation on-board a cruise ship and not trying to show off who is richer than others. Just want to have some fun with the family. No wonder Cunard is not profitable at all and sold to cheap old Carnival American owner.

:rolleyes:

Sinova:

Cunard had the Grills class long before Carnival took over.

If people want to go First or Business class on an airplane, why shouldn't they?

If someone wants to be on a Club Level floor in a hotel, why shouldn't they?

Everyone has the right to spend one's travel money in any way they wish. Some will chose to go Grills and others will not.

There are unwritten class rules all over the place.

I do not think that those who go Grills are trying to lord it over anyone. It is their vacation as well.

I chose the Grills this time for the 28 day Norwegian adventure because I was able to snag a really great deal. I am not paying as much as I would if I had a suite on Princess or Celebrity for the same time frame.

I will report back and let you know if it was worth it.

BTW: The photo below was taken when I emigrated. We were in steerage.

Just because passengers spend more for Grill accommodations, it doesn't mean they are "richer" than passengers in any other accommodations - it only means they are willing to spend more. :D

BTW, I've recently been comparing the perks given to suite passengers on other major cruise lines. What I'm finding is that there is an increasing trend to entice passengers to book suites by providing all kinds of separate areas - many of which are far more intensive than those limited areas for Grill passengers on Cunard ships.

But if you're looking for a cruise line that does not offer suite passengers any "separation by class" or any special perks (other than suite cabins are larger) - check out Carnival ships. I have no personal experience of Carnival ships, but it sounds like their policy regarding suite passengers may be more to your liking.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Wasn' the "worker's class" the first class declared? Shouldn' they be happy if we stay of their areas? I'd like only to please...

Sinova:

Cunard had the Grills class long before Carnival took over.

If people want to go First or Business class on an airplane, why shouldn't they?

If someone wants to be on a Club Level floor in a hotel, why shouldn't they?

Everyone has the right to spend one's travel money in any way they wish. Some will chose to go Grills and others will not.

There are unwritten class rules all over the place.

I do not think that those who go Grills are trying to lord it over anyone. It is their vacation as well.

I chose the Grills this time for the 28 day Norwegian adventure because I was able to snag a really great deal. I am not paying as much as I would if I had a suite on Princess or Celebrity for the same time frame.

I will report back and let you know if it was worth it.

BTW: The photo below was taken when I emigrated. We were in steerage.

excellent comments. I love the grill class for the restaurants, which are still the best I've experienced at sea. We tend to lose energy quickly so we like larger rooms. We also enjoy priority boarding. We don't travel the grill class out of any feelings of superiority.

To argue that Cunard is class based is not accurate. Anyone who can afford to pay the fares can travel in the grills. It's not based on lineage or family ties. Yes, it's an economic system but so are most things in life!

I've met blowhards in the grills, sure but I've also met some lovely people. And vice versa.

Everyone makes choices over how to spend their money. Some purchase Fancy cars, others tickets to high profile events, still others technology gadgets. We just happen to enjoy luxury cruising.

Only on Grills couple tried to lord their class of booking over others during my time aboard QM2.

With the two of them being the exception, I don't see Grills passengers doing any lording. In fact, I didn't come across any other discussions that involved what class of accommodation people were travelling.

Every cruise line has a class system - people in suites always get special treatment. On Princess suite guests eat breakfast in a specialty restaurant and have more menu choice.

At the end of the day we live in a world that is divided economically. We see it in every aspect of life.

So I couldn't disagree with you more.