40th BDAY going SOLO on Carnival Glory - Right Decision?

wealth42morrow

Hello:

Well, after realizing that my 40th Born Day would be spent alone or with friends who simply couldn't make up their minds if whether they were in on the plans or not, I decided to hang out with me, myself and I.

I will be on the Carnival Glory (March 2, my actual BDay) and would like some ideas on how I should handle getting out at port and definitely enjoying myself on the ship. I am shy, but warm up quickly and do not want to find myself hanging in my room too much.

I enjoy shopping, music, great food and love love history. I even enjoy the water, although I am a horrible swimmer (taking lessons this summer).

Ports are Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan Honduras and Cozumel.

How do you handle getting pictures of yourself at different sites, when its only you? Do you eat alone as a single person? Will they automatically give me a single bed, even though I requested a King?

I really hope this will prove to be the right decision for my 40th.

Tina

first off....you made the right decision in that......you got tired of waiting for your friends!! I even had a friend.....who made me fly into Miami instead of Tampa...where the ship was sailing from....who decided 1 week ahead of time that she didn't want to go.....I told her flat out that she was going...I made it easier for her by flying in and out of Miami instead of Tampa.

I did a solo cruise also for a birthday. I did the Mediterranean but on RCI.

So about the beds....if the beds are separated when you get to your room....they will simply push the beds together...no big deal. I also ask for the egg crate foam thing to be put on top of the mattress. Just ask and it will be done.

I preferred to book my excursions thru the cruise line. Why? Because I was alone and I wanted to make sure that I was back to the ship ON TIME.

I was seated at a table with other people. Since this cruise was out of

Europe there were many people from other countries at my table. On a few nights when I didn't feel like talking, I ate at the buffet.

I went to one of the singles mingles meetings...but only 3 other women showed up...and they were very quiet.

There is so much to do on board that you won't be spending any time in your room. There is always something going on!

Enjoy yourself and don't worry!

Happy Birthday:) I have sailed several times over the years on my birthday and I ALWAYS sail solo....May will be 11 years of solo crusing

for me:D...I love it!

I don't know how Carnival sets up their beds but I would guess you will

have 2 beds and they can definitely be put together. I seriously doubt

it will be a "king size" bed but it should be much larger than a twin.

I would guess it will be "full size".

I would suggest checking the roll call section and see if there is one

started for your cruise. It is a really nice way to meet other people

and most folks are very friendly.

As for pictures? You mean in port? You will probably end up seeing alot

of people from your ship......If I am sightseeting and want of a photo?

I will stop and ask someone if they would please take my picture.....

Most people are nice and I see that all time...;)

Dinner, from what I have read, Carnvial does seat solos together.

Again, check your roll call......I am cruising next week and I am sitting

with 2 cruisemates. We linked our bookings together and it should be

fun:)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

Hello:

Well, after realizing that my 40th Born Day would be spent alone or with friends who simply couldn't make up their minds if whether they were in on the plans or not, I decided to hang out with me, myself and I.

I will be on the Carnival Glory (March 2, my actual BDay) and would like some ideas on how I should handle getting out at port and definitely enjoying myself on the ship. I am shy, but warm up quickly and do not want to find myself hanging in my room too much.

I enjoy shopping, music, great food and love love history. I even enjoy the water, although I am a horrible swimmer (taking lessons this summer).

How do you handle getting pictures of yourself at different sites, when its only you? Do you eat alone as a single person? Will they automatically give me a single bed, even though I requested a King?

Tina

Great decision! and great ports of call. As Lois suggested check out your roll-call for this sailing. Maybe you can get ideas for excursions from other members. As far as the dining, it will be your preference. If you select a seated dining time, you will be placed with others. Maybe couples or other singles. Just depends on the table size you select. If you select My Time Dining, you just show up and you will be asked if you want to sit with others or by yourself. As far as the bed arrangements, you have a choice of either 2 twins or a king. Just let Carnival know. Enjoy your cruise Tina! and Happy Birthday!

See answers to your questions.

1. How do you handle getting pictures of yourself at different sites, when its only you?

I never had a problem when I asked people for help with that. If I'm not hanging out with my cruise friends, I usually ask crew members on the ship and service personnel (waiters, security guards, etc) in ports. Among other passengers, your best bet are couples. They always need someone to take a picture of them together, which is where you come in. And they'll always agree to take a picture of you in return. Ditto for other solos, although you won't find as many of them.

2. Do you eat alone as a single person?

Only if you choose to. Carnival has assigned seating for dinner, and they're good with putting solos with others close to them in age (although not always with other solos). My tablemates were mostly non-solos; they were great, and I even hung out with them outside of dinner. Breakfast and lunch (MDR) are open seating, but you get an option of either your own 2-seater or sharing a table. The lido buffet is where you're on your own, but I ate there only when pressed for time or when the MDR was closed.

3. Will they automatically give me a single bed, even though I requested a King?

No. When you book a cabin, you choose if you want two twin beds or one king bed. Carnival's kings are really two twins pushed together with the gap filled in. The only was you'll get a single bed is if you book a 1A cabin, where the second "bed" is a couch or a bunk. I myself had a king bed on my solo cruise. It was nice and spacious, plus I have a tendency to move around in my sleep, so a twin bed would have sucked.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Just recently back from a Solo birthday cruise on Carnival Miracle. It was the 15 night Hawaii cruise which had been on my bucket list for some time. I had a great time even though the seas and the weather were not perfect. The weather was much better than here in NY though. I was seated for dinner with 5 other solo/singles at a table for 8. Although a very diverse group we got along wonderfully. I also joined my roll call on cruise critic and booked all the Island private tours with fellow cruise critics. The only Carnival tour was in Ensenada (The wine country tour). I had the twin beds together in a King configuration. Others on the tours offered to take photos of me and I did the same for them. I also me a group of Gals from Texas (they were traveling together) at the pre cruise hotel in Long Beach CA. We bonded and they even took me to the Steakhouse for dinner on my Big Day. Thanks Ladies!:D

I am kind of shy as well and ALWAYS join my Cruise Critic roll call. I have met some great friends on here. Happy Birthday and have FUN!

Denise

Hello:

Tina

Yes, Carnival is a good choice for solos/singles in their 20,30,40. A bad decision would be not to go. Keeping an open mind, positive attitude and a "go with the flow" mentality is critically for having a great cruise. Smile a lot and get out of your cabin and participate in group activites. There is a daily newsletter in your cabin with tons of things listed from morning to late night. This is how you meet people and make friends. Your cabin steward/stewardess will introduce themselves at some point on embarkation day. Discuss with them any issues/concerns you have with your cabin including bedding and your wish is their command. Unless you specifically want to dine alone, you will be seated with others in the dining room - could be other solo cruisers and/or couples. You might want to confirm actual table assignment with the Maitre'd upon boarding the ship although the actual table # should be listed on your cruise sign and sail card. In the rare situation you are not compatible with your table mates just talk to the Maitr'd after dinner and ask for a table change. Never a problem. Have fun and let us how it went when you get back.

Edited by COMBOY