Argentina Economy and Iguazo Falls

Sand Pine

The recent news on the Argentine economy indicates higher inflation and cut backs in the economy. We are planning on visiting several Argentine ports this December on a Marina cruise. Does anyone have an opinion on any effects this may have on the visit and excursions in the ports? We have read that Buenos Aires has not been maintained as well as in the past with streets and public areas more run down. The inflation will make the US to Argentine exchange rate more favorable but the cost in Argentine pesos will increase, so maybe a wash in US dollars?

Also, has anyone taken the Oceania tour to Iguazo falls? We are considering adding this tour prior to our departure from Buenos Aires. Any information would be helpful.

my daughter-in-law is from Argentina. She just got back. She loves going to the falls, it is beautiful. The crime in Argentina is on the rise, so I would take the O tour and stay with a group as much as possible. Our money is very valuable and some people are selling it on the black market, but there are a lot of phony Argentine bills there, so I would not do it. Be very careful in BA--everyone agrees. This is a shame, but it is still pretty and you should still do it. Just do not wear jewelry and watch for pickpockets. Your money is good, but they are raising prices...still not a wash.

and it was the hi lite of the cruise. Loved the whole area and FALLS esp.

More impressive than Niagara,IMO.

Loved BA,even with all the negatives.Just be aware,take precautions,and HAVE FUN. We went to La BOca and danced the Tango in the streets,had cappuccino with guitar playing,ate great Italian food.Wished we d had more time there,even with all the problems.Missed Recolleta cemetery.

So I say,go for it.Was on my bucket list,and GLAD I did. Hey, I was in Egypt during a US Travel Warning,with armed guards. In Cambodia just prior to gov.marches,etc.What can I say?? Take a chance,and HAVE FUN,must be my motto.:o

Just back from BA.

Crime is an issue.

There are two economies in Argentina. Official and the Blue Market for currency. Three weeks ago the USD was at 10:1 when the official ratio was only 6.8. Now is higher at 7.9.

Good private tours are OK. We used tours by locals and had Fabian. Excellent guide.

We are doing a cruise from Lima but starting in Rio and up to Iguazu and then BA and we have made all the arrangements independently.

We looked on line for Guides and in each location found highly recommended people with whom we have booked. This was not difficult.

Brian

Although we did see a fair number of homeless people in BsAs and parts of the city definitely look run-down, we did not feel unsafe (mind you, we didn't venture into La Boca area and we were aware of the scams such as fake $100 pesos and bird dropping/dirty water trick). I can't think it's become that much worse?

Also, has anyone taken the Oceania tour to Iguazo falls? We are considering adding this tour prior to our departure from Buenos Aires. Any information would be helpful.

If you are concerned, then the Oceania tour would be your safest bet. It is just expensive, that's all.

We did our own planning with a private guide prior to our O cruise and it was great.

I would recommend staying in the town on the Argentina side as it is pretty small and the area of the town you'll be staying in is basically all tourist-driven, so it should be quite safe since it is in their interest to protect their main source of revenue. If you're staying at the Sheraton inside the park, even less chance of something going wrong because you're basically in the park compound!

To get the full experience, you should visit both Brazil and Argentina sides (I think this is in the O tour so you should be covered). Just be warned that the Argentina side is a lot longer - 3 separate walks/paths, highest, middle and base level (full day's worth of walking) versus Brazil's single long walk (2.5 hours' worth at a leisurely pace). Remember to wear quick-dry clothes and to drink water regularly!

If you decide to go private tour, you might also ask about stopping at the Bird Park (Brazil side, on the way to the Falls) and possibly even Itapu Dam as well.

We visited the falls in 2013 as part of a trip to Peru and Machu Picchu. We stayed on the Brazilian side but crossed over to see the Argentine side as well. The panoramic view from the Brazilian side is fantastic, but we needed a visa to be in Brazil, which was expensive. I do not know if the O tour requires or provides a Brazilian visa or what the cost is. I will say that if I only had to choose one side to see it would be the Brazilian side. The Bird Park on the Brazilian side is also a great visit and well worth the time. You are closer to the falls on the Argentine side, but you do not get the panoramic view like you do on the Brazilian side. The best thing is to do both sides if you have the money and the time.

We took the O tour to Iguazu a few years back - it is not to be missed! Complaint? Only there for one night and hotel rooms did not have a falls view. We just returned to Iguazu following a 6 week cruise on NG Explorer operated by Lindblad. Were there for 2 nights - had falls view rooms and visited Brazilian side as well as Argentine side. Get up early in the AM for a walk on the upper level - breathtaking!

If you do this on your own -as we did - you don't need a guide to see the falls. We had a hotel in 'downtown' Puerto Iguazu (it's more a village than a town) in Argentina, took the bus to the Argentinian side of the falls (bus station across from the hotel) and had the hotel arrange for a driver to the Brazilian side. All this worked out fine with just a smattering of Spanish.

Several months ago and to be frank, Buenos Aires is a mess. rather than having a better or worse area it all seems mixed together. Homeless and bums all over even in the " good" sections. Dirty streets, run down parks, shanty towns all over... To be fank, having worked in public safety, I felt very uneasy. On our cruise there were more than a few robberies... one guy had his shoes stolen off his feet as he sat on a park bench....if that gives you an idea. Too, the town was totally un-impressive and looked like a scene out of escape from new York. Once was enough...no desire to ever go back.

You can easily do Iguazzu falls in a day from Buenos Aires. It cost $380pp rt air and $30pp entrance plus 100 rt cab. English was spoken and we saw no need for a guide in the park... I suggest the Sheraton if your staying because it is in the park and you can set out in the "cool" of the day

Is BA really that terrible in shape? We know that there is crime and poverty in most major cities throughout the world....but your post....makes BA sounds beyond horrible! :eek:

No, it isn't.

It's true that the city is past its prime at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Construction was going on to refurbish the pedestrian malls of the Microcentro. We walked a lot, were never attacked not even in the park that was supposed to be a hangout for thieves. We avoided certain areas, dressed like locals. I kept my small cross shoulder pocketbook close.

Everybody was helpful and friendly when we needed them.

Is BA really that terrible in shape? We know that there is crime and poverty in most major cities throughout the world....but your post....makes BA sounds beyond horrible! :eek:

Yes there is crime and poverty around the world. Yes many major cites have their "sections". London, Paris, Rome,etc.

However, Buenos Aires as well as several other Argentine ports are way worse than the vast majority of cities in the world I have visited in the past 30 years.

I could see that at one time it must have been pretty good....However, the sheer volume of negative was overwhelming to me. I took a tour and was advised to keep by the bus and not wander in any direction, at every stop.

The poverty is on the scale of third world like Bangaledesh and everywhere you turn it is in your face. From the door steps of up-scale shops and places its everywhere you turn..

Too, the culture seemed not to care, dog droppings everywhere. People of all economic strata just tossing personal trash without a care everywhere. Go figure why. It seemed like no one cared about anything anymore except themselves.

I go places to experience a difference and see other things. I am rather adventurous too but this was over the top. It is not just Beunos Aires but the majority of South American ports with some exceptions like Ushuaia, seemed in serious decline You can add Valpariso to that list too. So it is a regional thing I guess.

Outside the metro areas however it seemed to be much better. If I ever visit south America again ( which after this I have NO desire to) I would get out of town and skip the the metro areas entirely

On my next cruise we are stopping at 3 Northern So American ports...You will find me on the ship....

Seriously, I wish I could tell you differently, I wanted to ....but that's what I found. Sorry

Inflation is indeed taking it´s course...we have seen prices rise each day on items...and there is crime...and poverty as you mentioned...as in all major cities. Is it beyond horrible....No!! We have been all over the city..to the beautiful theatre, cemetary, La Boca for lunch and to see tango etc. etc. Just be careful...as you would in any major city. We have done all this on our own...taxis are everywhere and very inexpensive. But we do this in the day time...and stay close to our hotel at nignt...right off Florida St. There are beautiful old buildings in the main central area and yes...they are working on the streets...improving them. I never saw any homeless people sleeping on the street or in any shop door steps...and we visited several other SA ports on this cruise as well....would come back in a heart beat!!!! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

Use a private guide. Much smaller group and they keep an eye on you at all times. Yes, she warned us and we were careful, but it does not matter where you travel in the world now, you can run into problems with crime.

Buenos Aires and Rio.. are on a whole different level that is off the scale in my opinion. Homeless in the morning in NY and Miami... yes Homeless and shanty towns everywhere in Buenos Aires...24/7