Where can I dive and what can my wife do

lyndonstation

I am a beginner diver, and will be in Grand Cayman, Belize and Cozumel in March. My wife is a non swimmer and could stay on board ship, but it would be nice if she could either go with me, or do something on her own. I would not be opposed to shore diving so she could stay at the dive center if there is a beach nearby or something. We have never been to those places so we are at a lose as to where to dive and if she could venture out on her own.

Belize is a tender port. She can take a tender into Belize and just shop and walk around that area. There are also a few restaurants, she could grab a drink and enjoy the view. Most people recommend not walking outside that area unless you are on an excursion.

Cayman is also a tender port. Very safe to walk around. The tender drops you off right in downtown Georgetown, so tons of shopping and restaurants. For a couple bucks, she can grab a local 'bus' (a mini van :)) and have it take her to Seven Mile Beach.

Coz is also a great and safe port. (Also safe to eat and drink there :D) A lot of shops and restaurants. I love getting a Sangria at Palmeras, an open air restaurant, which is right in the heart of the shopping. Great for people watching. :)

ry%3D400

You can either take a taxi into town, or if you are lucky, you will dock right downtown. Either way not an issue - there is a set price for the cabs if you end up having to do that; think its under $10?

Hope this helps. :)

In G Cayman, you can walk south 300 yard from the cruise terminal and there is Eden Rock for shore diving/snorkeling. There are restaurants/shops near by. She can drink/relax there, or shop around. Don't forget to buy some "Big Black Dick" rum -- really, it's a Cayman speciality.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not take one of the snorkel sails? That way you can get some water time and she can get a nice boat ride. There are a couple of nice ones in Belize.

Or do Sting Ray City together in Grand Cayman.

My wife also doesn't swim very well, so she has only gone snorkeling once or twice and it was mostly me dragging her around. But she loves the sailboats and enjoys Sting Ray City.

Then you could dive the other two ports. Doing something water related together goes a long way towards smoothing things out for "abandoning" her.

ken

• 1 month later...

I can relate to your situation very well, as I am a hard-core diver, while my wife is just now learning to swim. For the sake of unity, and a tranquil and peaceful marriage, don't leave your wife behind, or send her away, unless she specifically wants to do something, or go someplace while you're diving. I almost always bring my wife on the dive boat with me, and she loves it. She loves the excitement, and she has a feeling of being involved, and most importantly, we're together. Over time, she has actually become quite knowledgeable about diving. She can rattle off information about nitriox, trimix. decompression procedures, proper gear configuration, you name it. It's hilarious, as she is the most educated non-diver I've ever seen. So, my advice to you is to encourage her to come. Bring her along, unless she really wants to do other things.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I am a beginner diver, and will be in Grand Cayman, Belize and Cozumel in March. My wife is a non swimmer and could stay on board ship, but it would be nice if she could either go with me, or do something on her own. I would not be opposed to shore diving so she could stay at the dive center if there is a beach nearby or something. We have never been to those places so we are at a lose as to where to dive and if she could venture out on her own.

This is a situation I run into as well. Since you mentioned Grand Caymen, I started another thread after reading about a beach dive that is walking distance from the port. When 2015 roles around if I do this, she can either stay on board for an extra hour, or it me make friends in our roll call group tag along with someone and we could meet up later.

Last year in St Thomas, i couldn't find anyone to stay wiht her at Coki Beach, so I instead chose Blue Island Divers. May is there slow season so they let her come on the boat for $20 and she actually enjoyed being out on the boat sunning herself and helping out.