Need Help Deciding Which Cruise

Greysea74

My sister and I are taking a cruise in November, just trying to decide which one to take. We have it narrowed down to 2. The first one is a 7 day Caribbean out of Charleston, SC on the Fantasy, with stops in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau, comes out to $1428. The second choice is a 5 day Bahamas cruise out of Jacksonville on the Fascination, with stops at Half Moon Cay and Nassau for $1354, that's with an aft balcony. No balcony on the Fantasy. I welcome all opinions.

That's a tough one for me. Obvious answer is 7 day since it has more days. But the balcony is a real nice touch so that makes me think the Fascination.

If I had to make a choice, it would be the Fascination. We took a short 4 day on RCL last year and the Majesty did not have balconies except suites so we had an outside room. It was OK but I missed the balcony.

Luckily we followed up with an 8 day Breeze balcony so that was much better.

Overall I don't think I would cruise without a balcony again.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Half Moon Cay (we rented a cabana) it was the best singke day I ever had on a cruise, followed closely by Grand Turk, but I also had an aft balcony a few years ago & it was amazing!! The Fantasy is a bit older ship. Just some tidbits for you to consider! Have fun!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

HMC & GT are both great ports, although I have not been to either. I would certainly choose that option for the ports. I have no problem with 5-day cruises, but if a 7-day is about the same price, that becomes a no-brainer for me. Although I don't really care about balconies. I have had 3 balconies in the past, and although the cove balcony was nice, I don't see them as that big of a deal. I don't miss them when I don't have them. I would be tempted by a cheaper room on the 5-day, but I would ultimately choose the 7-day based on the addition of Grand Turk.

For one that has never had a balcony (and don't see it happening in the future), I also would choose the 7 day cruise. My wife and I have done both, with a 5 day after taking a few 7 day ones. The 5 day seemed like we just unpacked before having to pack up again. If you enjoy a quiet moment just looking out, then a balcony is good. However, for us, if we want to view the outside, we go up on deck and watch. Besides we love to people-watch so a balcony would prohibit this :) The only times we are in the cabin are to sleep and change.

I've had balconies and I would still pick the 7-day cruise.

To the OP, find a nice interior cabin on the Fantasy, say on the Lido or Panorama decks, close to a door to the outside and you won't miss a balcony and enjoy your 7 day cruise with 3 port stops!

Another thing to consider would be any travel related expenses you'll incur. (Gas, hotel, parking, meals, etc.) sometimes a cheaper cruise ends up costing more in the long run if you consider all options.

In your case you've narrowed the trip down to two similar itineraries. I'm guessing you're satisfied with cruising to the Bahamas, since both trips are going there. The ships you're choosing are are the same class, one having a balcony option and the other without. So, the layout and basic amenities will be very similar. So, outside of the things I've mentioned earlier, the basic difference is the time aboard ship. For me, I'd choose longer over shorter unless the travel expenses really caused something to rack up that would put it out of reach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both older ships. I love the Fascination but I would opt for the 7 day, and it is a closer drive for you. That is a big factor for us. Half Moon is wonderful.

A balcony is nice but it is not the only priority on a cruise. I have only had 2 and have cruised 30 times.

Thank you for all of the replies. Unfortunately my sister is unable to go with me. I talked it over with my mom and she is going to go, but cant afford a whole lot. So I booked 5 days out of Charleston going to Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay, for just $928.50. Also booked Faster to the Fun and a Clam Shell for Little Stirrup Cay!!