More on the Jewel...

cod

I wrote a review last week and it was just 'published'. I didn't see anything about our cabin in it, which I did write about too, so I'm here to elaborate on it a little.

We were in 8094. The very first obstructed oceanview, sideways cabin, from the mid-ship elevators. We really liked this cabin and it's location. I'd read that you could hear -albeit very faintly - music from the nearby atrium area until 11:00 or so. True, but it was never enough to keep me awake. I would pick this type cabin and the same location again in a heatbeat!

The only downside was the bathroom (specifically one area of the bathroom!) which could have been bigger but, oh well, 'say la v'. (If anyone would like to spell that out for me in French, I will try to remember it for next time!lol)

My only other elaboration would be about the crew. They were, in a word, great! We like room service in the morning for coffee and a couple or crousants (more help with my French needed?) to have while getting ready for the day and before heading out for breakfast. The young man who brought it every day was like a ray of sunshine! And on the first morning he said that if we would like him to bring the same thing, at the same time each morning, he'd be glad to. (Perhaps this option is new because it had never been offered on our other NCL cruises!) From then on we could set our watches by him and always with a big smile on his face!! Where do they find all these great people!?

Our cabin steward too was one of the best we've encountered on our 20- something cruises. We found our cabin very clean and it was kept that way all week. And his was another 'happy face'. I just wish I'd made a point of remembering these two names in particular!

And one 'coincidence' discovered onboard. They had an Italian-named singer/piano player nightly in one of the bars...Shakers I think was the bar name. He played the piano very well but his singing of American songs did not make us want to stop when we would be walking through. One night we saw in our 'daily' that he would be singing Italian classics that evening so we went, sat, and enjoyed it tremendously. My husband was born and raised in Genoa and so we approached him when he took a break and we asked where he was from and he said 'Genoa' but when he realized DH was very familiar with the area, he narrowed it down to Savona..where he said he has his home. DH's brother lives in Spotorno..a stone's throw from Savona and where we have spent lots of time in last 50 years! He metioned having played at a hotel club in Spotorno for a couple of years!

Isn't it a small world, after all!!??

Ciao

Edited by cod

Thank you for posting the info about your room. My uncle is in that room in April and we were a bit concerned about the layout based on a few pics we've seen. Also about the lack of storage (it seems there is approximately 1/2 the drawer space of a non-oblong partially obstructed view?)

c'est la vie...thanks. Now if I can just remember it!

As for storage, it might have been a little less than regularly laid out cabins but it was ample for us. (We each just bring a carry-on size bag).

I hadn't thought too much about it but now that I do, the hanging closet space was less and the shelves - and safe - where to one end of the closet. There were 4 drawers and a few cubby-holes here and there and an open shelf over the little fridge. That was it but it was more than enough. And since it is a "2" person cabin there were no bunks on the walls or trundles under the beds. And we each had one of those waffle (for lack of a better word!) pads on our bed. I don't know if they were there because someone had complained that the mattresses were too hard or what. One more thing. The beds were together and we asked our cabin steward to please separate them. In small cabins, having that space between beds makes a big difference. (A tip was in order as always when extra requests are made!) One more thing! We had a nice, flat screen TV!!

Did you happen to take any pictures of the sideways cabin? That comes up on here a lot and no matter how much you search on here OR on google, there are not many, if any, to be found. It would sure help people out around here to be able to see what one looks like.

I was in the same cabin on the Jewel in May. Loved it. Am booked in another sideways obstructed view on the Pearl for a 2015 Panama Canal Cruise. I may try to request the 8094 cabin for my Pearl cruise as I know what to expect. I thought there was plenty of storage and layout made the cabin feel larger/roomier than the "normal" layout

Well, here is a link where I had posted pics of cabin 8094 and also an accessible obstructed view cabin on deck 8

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1853399&highlight=jewel

Great pictures, djmess. Yes, that was our cabin and I know anyone contemplating a like-cabin would appreciate seeing your photos. Your

beds were apart as we requested ours be and it's amazing the difference having that space in between makes as to how roomy the cabin seems.