Transportation/Hotels in San Juan

lunagirl

My husband and I will be flying in at 1pm on a Saturday before a Sunday evening cruise departure. We would love to see some of San Juan and are thinking of staying in the Condado area. This will be our first time in San Juan.

Our normal transportation system involves taking a hotel shuttle to the hotel and cruise port, but I don't really see that as a feature for San Juan hotels.

What is the best way to plan to get to the hotel and port in San Juan?

How big is San Juan? Should we plan for a taxi as our primary mode of transportation?

How is the pricing for taxis?

Is the Condado area pretty central?

Thanks!

Taxis will be your best form of transportation. They are plentiful and well-regulated so you won't have to worry about pricing issues. The price for the taxis are by zones.

The fare from the airport to the port is $19 per cab (not per person) plus $1 per suitcase.

The cheapest cab fare is around $9 for one zone, and $19 for 3 zones which is from Isla Verde to Old San Juan. It is about a 20 minute ride from the airport in Isla Verde to Old San Juan- a little longer depending on where you are going.

Condado is a great central location to stay. I like to stay at the Conrad Condado Hilton Plaza when we are there. It is very close to the Pan Am Pier where many ships depart from.

All of the hotels pretty much rely on taxis for their guests transportation. However, You can also use the buses to get around for much cheaper. They are clean and run regularly. We paid around $1.50 to get from our hotel in Condado to downtown Old San Juan.

If you want more info about San Juan, I have plenty of information and pictures of both Condado and Old San Juan in my Caribbean Princess review that is added to my signature.

Enjoy!

My husband and I will be flying in at 1pm on a Saturday before a Sunday evening cruise departure. We would love to see some of San Juan and are thinking of staying in the Condado area. This will be our first time in San Juan.

Our normal transportation system involves taking a hotel shuttle to the hotel and cruise port, but I don't really see that as a feature for San Juan hotels.

How big is San Juan? Should we plan for a taxi as our primary mode of transportation?

Thanks!

Just arrived Tuesday. Taxi from airport to Condado was $21 for two persons and four bags ($1/bag). This is a set fee.

Just arrived Tuesday. Taxi from airport to Condado was $21 for two persons and four bags ($1/bag). This is a set fee.

I know Condado may be a zone closer than the port which would explain the difference in pricing.

Was it $21 plus $1 per bag or $17 + $4 for a total of $21? Just curious as to whether the rates have changed since our last visit.

I know Condado may be a zone closer than the port which would explain the difference in pricing.

Was it $21 plus $1 per bag or $17 + $4 for a total of $21? Just curious as to whether the rates have changed since our last visit.

It was $15 plus $2 gas surcharge plus $1 per bag airport to Marriott Stellaris.

Thanks!

My wife and I always stay at the Marriott Condado....and always plan 1 day of downtown shopping. We've learned to take the city bus (it stops right in front of the Marriott on Condado). It costs @ $.50pp exact fare. Ask the bellmen which busses specifically, as many pass through the area and not all go downtown. The bus stops just east of the downtown business area near the bus terminal and all get off. It is just a short walk from there to everything downtown. Often we'll have dinner and take a cab back to the hotel.