SOmething that has slipped away...

TEXASMUNK

Just finised reading John Maxtone-Graham's book, LINERS TO THE SUN. He is also the author of THE ONLY WAY TO CROSS.

He made an interesting observation. With the advent of balconies on ships, there is a definate loss of comraderie when leaving a port or entering a port. Instead of passegers gathering at the rails of a ship (as was done for hundreds of years) today we all settle into our cabins and watch the approach or departure from our own private 5 by 9 balconies.

Just an observation, but an interesting way to look at just one more of the evolving changes in cruising.

I think in todays world, as many cruise passengers cruise to 'get a way' from the hussle and bustle then there are those that go to socialize. Balconies afford the luxury of both, private time with ones SO, or the fun of getting to speak with other passengers onboard.

Anytime dining where you don't sit with the same people every meal has shown that some are not that interested in striking up a long time friendship as they once were.

We met John Maxtone-Graham on the QE 2 last year and he was such a nice man. I'm sure he has seen a lot of changes in his many years at sea........I know how much the cruise industry has changed since my first cruise in 1981!! And not all for the better.........:rolleyes:

With the advent of balconies on ships, there is a definate loss of comraderie when leaving a port or entering a port.

He's right. We never attend the Sailaway parties, instead preferring to enjoy a few precious moments together on the balcony, then going off to window table at dinner while the ship is still slowly sailing away from port.

But, maybe next time..... :)

But with the design of the Grand-class balconies where everyone above you can see down onto your balcony, it's easy to have conversations with people on other balconies at sail-away! We did that on our last cruise. We were on Dolphin deck, and had a lovely chat with the people on the balconies above us. :)

John Maxtone-Graham provides great insight into the evolution of cruising! He is indeed a super, gracious person. I had the pleasure of talking with him when he was onboard the ssNorway (transatlantic). He gave several talks, very interesting. I told him a few stories about sailing as a single in the 80's (my mid-30s) and he actually wanted to use something in his book but I declined! :-) He followed up with a phone call, too, which really amazed me.

He has another book, Crossing & Cruising (1992), which talks about the atriums and how they evolved in the new builds of the 80's/90's. It's a very good book, too. He credits the Royal Princess with the start of the atrium craze! :-)

A note on the balcony comments. I think the lack of people around was why I did not like my Celebrity cruise on the Summit. It was a trans-pacific and the ship was so dead during the day, it was unreal. You could walk all over and not see a soul, scarey. Sailing single, I don't have to talk to people all the time but would like to pass people in the hallway now and then!!! :-) The layout, the dark interiors, supposedly old world elegant or something, nowhere to sit with windows where there would be people. I missed the windows and light cheery areas on Princess!

Susie

Just finised reading John Maxtone-Graham's book, LINERS TO THE SUN. He is also the author of THE ONLY WAY TO CROSS.

There are a number of interesting observations that he makes in this book that can be applied to today’s cruising environment as it was when the book was written back in the ‘70s I think. I especially liked the contrasts between the “old” cruiser and the “new” cruiser in the book. Much like the contrasts made on these boards today between the “traditionalists” and the “new cruiser.”

I can't imagine not being up on deck for sailaway!! That is always a treasured memory, and so much fun. I always bring lots of tiny little bottles of bubbles, and hand them out to any kids who are around, and we all blow bubbles as we watch the land shrink away. :)

John Maxtone-Grahame was one of the guest lecturers aboard the last voyage of the Sky Princess, 9-00, San Francisco to Sydney, and he gives wonderful lectures on history of modern cruising.

He and his wife are extremely personable and approachable. Gentleman is a word that fits him well.

I was so disappointed on my last cruise on Carnival from Tampa. We were in the middle of the muster drill when we started to sailaway. We were all huddled outside on the deck with our lifejackets as we were leaving land. That was disappointing. Oh well. Im just waiting for my Sapphire cruise in Sept. I can't wait.

I think the observations made reflect how much our lives have changed, and those changes are not necessarily for the better. We have been conditioned (those of us who are wage slaves) to feel somewhat guilty about going on vacation. There are people I work with who just cannot believe how I can plan to take two weeks off, and a few have even suggested that I'm not going to be holding up my end for doing so.

Whether due to school schedules or whatnot, the majority of people take one week off at most, and try to cram as much into that week as possible. I really don't believe that you come back relaxed and reinvigorated when you do that. I think you can see that in some of the posts here in the meticulous planning, having to cover every detail in advance, and trying to fill every moment with activity for fear of being bored. That sounds as stressful as work.

The other thing that intrudes is that most of us spend much more time at work than the standard 40 hours/week. No one knows when the next round of RIF's will take place, so in between we try to cover the productivity of those who have been laid off, and make ourselves look as valuable as possible. We sacrifice the good things in life to stay off "the list". Family, friends, relaxing, enjoying the moment all take a second seat. It comes as no surprise that many use their time off the reconnect with the people most important to them, and shun larger scale socialization.

Finally, technology insulates us from having to deal with people face to face, and maybe the skills needed to be social creatures have waned in the process. We drive alone in our cars, use e-mail instead of walking down the hall to discuss things with our coworkers, and play phone tag. The web diary has replaced visiting and catching up. Networking has replaced making friends. Consideration for others is of little importance since social relationships are disposable, if they are even formed.

It's no surprise then that the things that make a social occasion have so little importance attached to them.

Spongerob - excellent observations and well written! I am one of those who wants to be on-deck for sail away from each port. On our last cruise there were six of us who always met at whichever end os the ship left port last and had a drink, visit and enjoyed our last look at whatever island it was and the beautiful sunset. I missed those sail aways the most when we got home. It didn't matter that we may not have seen each other all day, this was our time to catch up. One couple we knew before the cruise, the other we met on board (actually on our roll call pre-cruise).

I also enjoy time on the balcony with DH - I have the best both worlds. I spend time with loved ones and meet people I would never otherwise have the opportunity to meet. I always talk to folks around me, in line on the elevator, anywhere - sometimes you get a response sometimes not - but life would be dull if you didn't try!

I think that this is just an extension of everyday life. When I was growing up in the 50's-60's you knew all of your neighbors and they were somewhat of an extended family. What my parents didn't see, the neighbors did and wastedno time calling my mom to tell on me before I got hurt!:D

Today, how many of us even know our neghbor's names beyond the house next door?

I remember the time I sailed to LaHarve from New York City back in the early 60s and it was really a "Big Deal". I was a young lad of 20 going to Europe, buying a VW Bug in Paris and taking off for a 3 month vacation on the Continent. You really could do it for $5 a day back then:-). When our ship, the SS France, pulled away from the dock in NY, everyone was out on deck that beautiful spring day, some throwing streamers and confetti over the side, and it was an experience I will never forget. I have been on many cruises since and always try to be up on deck if I can but none will ever match that day.

Today, how many of us even know our neghbor's names beyond the house next door?

We must live in an unusual neighborhood. We have 73 homes and I know every one of the neighbors names (children and most pets.) :cool: Of course, it helps a lot when you are on the Homeowners Association board and you are the social chairman. :D

I was so disappointed on my last cruise on Carnival from Tampa. We were in the middle of the muster drill when we started to sailaway. We were all huddled outside on the deck with our lifejackets as we were leaving land. That was disappointing. Oh well. Im just waiting for my Sapphire cruise in Sept. I can't wait.

Sadly, a lot of people miss sailaway on the day of embarkation. Many have early dining and are getting ready for dinner as the ship is sailing away. In my case, I rarely make it to the sailaway festivities. I'm usually sound asleep in my cabin, exhausted from the 24 hours I have usually already been up on the first day of the cruise.

But I do try to catch sailaways from some of the ports.

Interesting point about the balconies, though. I never thought of that. I guess sailaway would be a lot different today than it used to be.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived