Labor Day/Sept 1- Lots of kids on the ships?

RexyCruiser

We' ve taken 2 cruises from NY over Labor Day-first in 2009 and it was wall-to-wall full of misbehaving, rude kids. You'd get knocked over in the pool with the older teenagers roughhousing. We almost decided not to cruise out of NY again. Labor day of 2013, we tried again and it was much better. Still a lot of kids but parents kept better control of their kids. It was a good cruise.

Looking to take the 5 night Splendor cruise from NYC to Canada leaving on Sept 1. How many children should we expect on the boat? For my area, this is the week school starts, but I'm not sure about other parts of the country.

Some but less the following week.

• 1 month later...
Looking to take the 5 night Splendor cruise from NYC to Canada leaving on Sept 1. How many children should we expect on the boat? For my area, this is the week school starts, but I'm not sure about other parts of the country.

Im cruising Sept 7, Im hoping there are NO kids. My first cruise was during spring break, and I don't ever want to make that mistake again. I read these boards and hear people say they didnt encounter any unruly kids, and I sure envy them. I just dont understand how parents allow their kids to run amok on that floating city. Anything can happen. Would you allow them to do that at home? Im a mother of two grown sons, and never would I have allowed it, for their safety, as well as out of respect for others.

A general rule of thumb I have used with some success is to look at the price. When families tend to travel because of school breaks; summer, holidays, Spring Break, the price goes up. When the kids are in school the price tends to drop.

I paid more for a 4-day cruise over MLK day, then the 5-day cruise that left after ours because the Friday before was a teachers in-service day (No school) and with no school the following Monday parents had no problem letting the kids miss the Thursday before (This was out of Galveston).

You can bet you bottom dollar that the travel industry (That includes airlines) know when school is out in various parts of the country. In the mid-Atlantic and south most schools start back in August, so cruises leaving Labor Day weekend are usually a good price. The week before and after Thanksgiving week are good, as is the 2nd week of January. A different cruise line/longer itinerary helps. Our 10-day cruise on the Emerald Princess was at the height of Spring Break, but at 52 & 57 we were among the youngest on board. Almost no kids.