Sail Away spot for ship lovers, not party lovers?

TequilaToo

Where's the best spot for sail away on Oasis in Port Everglades for people who are not party people, but who just love the wind in their hair and the feeling of flying (no, not like Jack and Rose, but close).

Edited by TequilaToo

The helicopter pad maybe? I think it might be a case of too much "wind in the hair" up there and perhaps there may be a bigger crowd than you want though. I'm sure others will have better suggestions. :)

Edited by joepeka

The helicopter pad maybe? I think it might be a case of too much "wind in the hair" up there and perhaps there may be a bigger crowd than you want though. I'm sure others will have better suggestions. :)

The helipad is usually not open except for special events.

The helipad is usually not open except for special events.

Huh... I did not know that. We went up there on Independence while still at the dock but didn't go there again during the cruise. So all those folks you see on the web cam at the bow during sailaway are special event attendees? I'm not questioning your information, I simply don't know the answer. :o

Yes, another vote for your own balcony. Away from the crowds, yet you have a great view as you go out to sea.

Last time we cruised we were right over the spot to see the Harbor Master (is that the right name for the guy who navigates the ship out to sea?) JUMP from a little "diving board" that was stuck out for him onto the deck of a small Coast Guard ship, then zip back towards land. Lots of people were on their balconies watching him, and everyone cheered for him. A cool thing to see.

That was when we sailed from Miami. Miami is a cool place from which to leave because you sail out along the coastline for a fairly long time, and people are waving from the shore. Some even stop their cars by the side of the road to watch the big ships go out.

Regardless, we don't particularly enjoy being up on deck with . . . well, everyone for sail-away. We've done it when we've sailed without a balcony, and in those cases we've sought out an empty part of the deck, away from the crowds. I'd say, if you have no balcony, just walk around 'til you find a relatively empty spot. You might do well to go up or down from the main pool deck.

Huh... I did not know that. We went up there on Independence while still at the dock but didn't go there again during the cruise. So all those folks you see on the web cam at the bow during sailaway are special event attendees? I'm not questioning your information, I simply don't know the answer. :o

Different ships have different rules regarding the front helipad. I was on the Liberty and it was open to anyone. On the Allure/Oasis, it is not open.

The helipad is not open to the public on the Allure or the Oasis; just for special events. Other ships may have different policies. For example, when I was on the Explorer and the Jewel passengers did have access to the helipad, weather permitting.

Freedom class [and most/all(?) smaller RCI ships] have a helipad that is open 24/7 [except during emergency operations and rough seas]. Oasis class helipads are not public.

For "wind in their hair and the feeling of flying" on Oasis try the Sun Deck on Deck 14 forward [port-side entry only, not starboard]. You can stand on top of the Bridge wings. Usually very few people up there - so don't tell anyone:cool:

Thom

Kind of depends on your cabin. If you have an outside balcony and are on the port side, then definitely your balcony. You can bring on a bottle of champagne and either order some chocolate strawberries, get some cheese and things from the Windjammer, or bring stuff onboard with you. We always bring nuts and dried fruit with us. Also often Hickory Farms cheese and meats and crackers. But you could bring chocolates or whatever, and have a very nice private sailaway.

If you aren't in an ocean facing balcony, then do the same on the secret balcony at the end of deck 11 or 12. But go to the port side, it's got the better view. Then take some champagne out and you will likely be with very few people.

You can also go out front on deck 14 (I think). You can get above the bridge and it'll be a great view. May be more people out there though. Just go to the end of the hall an there will be a door.