Really Missed the Navigational Channel on the Sun

OceanDreaming2

One of the things we found lacking on the Sun was the absence of the navigational channel on TV. You know the one. It shows the distance traveled to the next port, how far you've gone, the time, etc.

At our Meet & Greet, the HD Brian Walters said it was a computer program which had crashed and they had to order a new one. He said he'd heard it had arrived and it should be up and running soon. That was day 2 of our 12 day cruise. It never happened. In fact we heard later from another source, that it had not even been ordered yet.

Since the cost was supposedly close to $30,000, one has to wonder if it's one of those things NCL feels we could do without.

What do you think? Do you like to switch on the channel every now or then or could care less?

My parents just got off the Sun yesterday so I asked them about Navagation channel and said they had it on in their cabin. Said it could take a while to load and change info, but it was there. I was hoping it would be when i saw this thread as the wife and I will be on the Sun in June.

Edited by jimsig

I'll sell NCL my old iPhone for $10,000. They can cobble together a cheap interface, and save some serious coin.

Since the cost was supposedly close to $30,000, one has to wonder if it's one of those things NCL feels we could do without.

The navigation channel on the Norwegian Star is in serious need of help. During most of the trip it said we were in the mountains of Costa Rica. I'd love to know how the ship ever got there to begin with!! LOL :D

It's a channel I watch and enjoy on the voyages to see where we are and what just might be outside our window. I'm sure people who bring binoculars find the information helpful. Some of the truly interested people bring a GPS device and a map to figure out what land is there. On the Panama Canal transit it would have been nice to see all the information as we had a port side cabin and were seeing land quite a bit during the voyage!

It was also awesome the pool temp never once changed by one degree up or down! Those deck hands are quite good at their job! ;)

What do you think? Do you like to switch on the channel every now or then or could care less?

I hope they have it when we cruise the Sun in late May. DCL use to have it and when we went last March, I really missed it :-( It showed distance from last port, distance to next port, total distance traveled, weather and seas information. I liked taking pics of the screen, lol

My parents just got off the Sun yesterday so I asked them about Navagation channel and said they had it on in their cabin. Said it could take a while to load and change info, but it was there. I was hoping it would be when i saw this thread as the wife and I will be on the Sun in June.

Well, that's a good sign!

We didn't have a designated navigation channel on the TV. They must've added it on the cruise following our's.

On the bright side, we did have new TVs!

We didn't have a designated navigation channel on the TV. They must've added it on the cruise following our's.

I wonder if the new TV's maybe were not set up properly to get all the channels they could have and the Navagation ch was left off in your cabin?

Nice to 'see' you again, Mary! We're on the Sun in 30 days. We're in a midship balcony, what category were you in that had a newer TV? We heard the TV's were old but we watch it only when going to bed. I'll miss the navigation channel though, I hope it is back! Fran

Edited by Rockapulco
too tired to type accurately

I wonder if the new TV's maybe were not set up properly to get all the channels they could have and the Navagation ch was left off in your cabin?

Nice to 'see' you again, Mary! We're on the Sun in 30 days. We're in a midship balcony, what category were you in that had a newer TV? We heard the TV's were old but we watch it only when going to bed. I'll miss the navigation channel though, I hope it is back! Fran

The navigation programming is a $30M something investment which (apparently) was supposed to have been ordered and even received for sometime. Looks like they finally got it working.

Fran - Good to "see" you too. We were in a BD balcony - about as far aft as you could be while still on the starboard side. I read the TVs were replaced during the last drydock.

Enjoy the Sun!