Some Glory notes and comparison review

BubMunkeyBles

Hey all! Just got back home yesterday and thought I'd put in some quick thoughts. I am spoiled and this was my third cruise of my vacation home to Florida. I cruised Royal and Celebrity prior to our Carnival Glory sailing so it was hard not to compare the 3. Anyways here I go.

For this cruise it was myself, DH, my 3 and 4 year old and my Mom.

Leaving out of Miami was pretty crazy since it was marathon day. We stayed at the Miami Marriot Biscayne the night before so at least were pretty close to port. We got to the port around 11:30 and boarded around 12:15 or so. No issues.

They had a lot going on the first day for the Super Bowl. It was a family cruise so we didn't do a lot of the stuff we normally would just the two of us.

Emerson was great. The entertainment staff was rather blah though and I wasn't impressed with the shows at all. The B Squad I think did a movie song themed show that was pretty good though. Royal Caribbean is definitely doing entertainment the best from the 3 lines I tried out.

Kids used Camp Carnival and they were all great. My 3 year old didn't want to go though really (kind of clingy) but I couldn't get my 4 year old to leave at times.

We did get a rude note from someone (who of course remained anonymous, lol) under the door about how we should beat our son because he had a tantrum in public and how he was pulling one over on us (we had just seen the ship doctor because he was running a fever and was not happy etc etc). Anyways, kind of ticked my husband off but whatever. People will always judge I guess and they have no clue what was going on. I thought we were being polite by taking him back to our room when he wasn't feeling well.

Food has declined. Guys Burgers were good. Did dinner in the Lido some with the kids and it was horrible. Only a small portion open, minimal selections. Ridiculous, of course all the other places like Guys and Burrito bar are closed over actual dinner times. MDR was a disappointment, especially having just gotten off Celebrity the week prior, but definitely better than Royal Caribbean's food in my opinion (I don't claim to be a food expert). We had anytime dining and the service was somewhat disappointing.

Room was nice, Carnival definitely wins out on room and storage space. Room steward was great and tolerable of the kids.

Missed Roatan, I think next time we do Western we may try another line. Carnival's pier gets missed quite a bit because of issues while other ships dock elsewhere just fine. No biggie, but the extra sea day was a drag with the kids and little extra programming. Did the Chukka beach day through Carnival to Belize. It was pretty disappointing, wouldn't do it again. Did the dolphins through Dolphinaris in Cozumel, was great, pictures were ridiculous considering I did the same tour in Jamaica recently and the pictures were 1/3 the price on CD. We booked with Native Way in Grand Cayman (turtle farm, stingrays, Hell) and it was very good. Next time would just do the sting rays and beach time I think.

Debarkation was horrible. Miami is a mess with customs and just ridiculous. We came into a different terminal so car was far away. Ended up having someone go get it and pick us up because too much luggage and kids who can't pull their own yet.

I think Carnival is still great for the budget but I think we may try NCL next since their prices are pretty comparable. I feel like I should be more wow'd but wasn't even with all the upgrades (downgrades?) being done. Celebrity will definitely be our line of choice for couples only cruising for now (but we try to cruise for itinerary anyways, Carnival is lacking there comparatively). Carnival was nice for our family though and I am sure we will be on them again. My daughter cried leaving because she was going to miss the ship, lol. This was my 10th cruise and I did somehow get some Platinum perks even though I am still Gold. Guess their system didn't switch all the way (my card was Gold).

I forgot to mention but I very much prefer Carnival's frozen drinks. I hated that on Royal and Celebrity both they use a ton of floaters for some reason and it seemed my drinks were never the same. I defaulted to mudslides because they had to blend everything together on those lines. I did have alcohol packages on Royal and Celebrity but not on the Glory since we were cruising with the kids.

My quick line comparison if you're interested. In order from best to worst out of Carnival Glory, Celebrity Summit, Liberty of the Seas.

Rooms: Glory, Summit, LOS

Beds: Glory, LOS, Summit

Food: Summit, Glory, LOS

Entertainment: LOS, Summit and Glory about tied

Service: Summit, Glory, LOS

Embark/Debark: Summit, LOS, Glory

If you have questions I can try to answer. Sorry, this was way longer than planned.

Thanks for your review, as for live entertainment was there any bands playing in the evening.

A salsa band was about it. For some reason the rock cover band has been eliminated.

We were o nthe same cruise and thought the best entertainment was the table magician and the piano bar guy Dave.

Liked the food but the entertainment was rather pitiful.

Whoever dreamed up playlist prod and hasbro for evening entertainment should be fired.