Dawn Internet Questions...Ship and Ports

coka

I do not need to stay in touch with anyone while on vacation but my brother does. I think he is a really important guy! He is wondering about internet on the Dawn and at the ports of call. He thinks I know everything Norwegian but my only experience is using internet onboard or in port to give a quick shout out somewhere. Can anyone here answer some or all the questions below, or add what you might think he needs to know?

Thanks in advance!

Coka

1. How much for unlimited Internet package onboard if there is one?

2. Is it true there is a laptop in the owners suite and does it work?

3. If he brings an iPad, can he use it anywhere onboard?

4. Can he can find free Wifi in Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel? Where?

I do not need to stay in touch with anyone while on vacation but my brother does. I think he is a really important guy! He is wondering about internet on the Dawn and at the ports of call. He thinks I know everything Norwegian but my only experience is using internet onboard or in port to give a quick shout out somewhere. Can anyone here answer some or all the questions below, or add what you might think he needs to know?

Thanks in advance!

Coka

1. How much for unlimited Internet package onboard if there is one? There is no unlimited package

2. Is it true there is a laptop in the owners suite and does it work?

Yes, it is kind of a "clunker" but usable

3. If he brings an iPad, can he use it anywhere onboard?

Yes, anywhere he can get connected. There are dead spots

Yes, many bars, restaurants etc have signs for free wi if. It is expected you will buy something. Example, Starbucks just off the pier in Cozumel has free wi fi, they like you to buy a coffee.

Yes, many bars, restaurants etc have signs for free wi if. It is expected you will buy something. Example, Starbucks just off the pier in Cozumel has free wi fi, they like you to buy a coffee.

And if you're feeling more inclined to the stronger stuff, you can have libations at Senor Frogs. DH and I split a margarita "yard" at about 11 am.:eek:;)

Sorry, Coka, don't know about the other ports. BTW, we found and enjoyed the forward sundeck w/the lounger/cabana setup on Breakaway.:) Unfortunately a couple of the covers are already getting ripped (or broken) as the wind can be pretty strong up there.

The Tropicante in Costa Maya has FREE Wi-Fi and they offer a FREE phone for you to use to call back home.... Ask for Steve if you go there.

Edited by Hey Wang

WiFi on the Dawn & other (NCL or otherwise) ships are usually available but it isn't free ** - you need to signup for the satellite-based internet, a small one-time fee and pay by the minutes or in bundle (buckets) of minutes, the more you buy & the lowered unit cost per minute, from 75 cents to 40 cents & lower - one device active at a time. It will not be fast and for most 'power users" considered rather slow, but for basic email & web surfing, it is usually adequate if you limit use of HD graphics & audio due to bandwidth or technical limitations.

** Exception is that you can get "free" ship WiFi only for NCL's website, to review upcoming sailings, offers, pricing, FAQ, deck plans & urgent weather updates and port info, etc.

Land-based WiFi are unsecured and can be easily spyed on unless you have access to & use a secured VPN or similar encrypted connections for transactions such as banking. Proceed at one's own risks

Facetime, Skype, Hangouts & similar high bandwide apps are usually blocked and/or its ports disabled. Voice & SMS/text messaging are fine.