Help me decide

sparelink

So i am decided that when we are in St Thomas we are going to rent a small boat and drive around, sight see and snorkel on our own. from what i have read, snorkeling is better at St John. so I have found 2 options:

First is rent a small boat in St Thomas and drive it over to St John and spend the day there. this is a little bit of a ride on a small boat. but i dont have to worry about the ferry back and forth.

Second is take the ferry from St Thomas to St John and rent a boat there. dont have the long ride but have a ferry ride that is longer but dont have to burn the gas.

both looks like they will be a wash in price. what would you recommend. I feel if i rent in ST Thomas we will get more play time than if i have to take the Ferry

I would rent a boat. Check out Pirates Paradise Adventures or St. Thomas Boat rental. Little $$ but worth every penny!!

Good Luck

PBB, where did you rent from? What size boat?

I plan on renting a boat no matter what, justing is where? In St Thomas or St. John's.

Anyone know how long the boat ride is from St Thomas to St. John? Weather should be good in June but I'm worried about rough seas. I am an avid boater and have plenty of experience but better safe than sorry.

Anyone taken a small boat across to St. John's before?

Also there is 2 ferries. How long is the taxi ride to the red hook ferry? Is it any faster then taking the once from Charlotte Amalie? Looks like the one from red hook runs every hour or so while the once from Charlotte only runs twice a day.

we rented from Pirates Paradise Adventures and we got the boat called red beard. I believe it is 32 foot. It comes with a Captain.

Pretty quick from St. Thomas to St. John. 15-20 min.

Check out Jost Van Dykes island too. 30-35 min from St. Thomas.

Wish you a great trip and have a great time.

Matt

taxi to red hook is 20 - 30 min and is the preferred ferry because it's much more regular than downtown (leaves on the hour).

The ride in a small boat from CA would be quite rough, from the East End not as bad because you're closer. JVD is a bit further and requires a passport if docking there from the USVI.

There are several excellent operators that take groups of up to 6 ppl and they know the waters which is a huge plus. Look at New Horizons or Yacht Nightwind, both out of Sapphire marina.