O/V on lower promedane vs privacy

mrandmrsdd

Hi,

I will be on the Ryndam in April which I believe, does not have Lanai cabins on the lower promenade.

I have an oppotunity to upgrade my J (for very little money if any) for an O/V on the lower promenade.

I have been in O/V on the main deck and realy like it, but I am concerned being on the lower promenade that people can look into the cabin. I usually keep the drapes open during the day and a litle bit at night so I can see light coming in the morning.

I also wonder if I will have a view if/when people use chair in front on the window during the day.

Alternatively I can wait/hope for an upsell for the O/V on the main deck. I believe the ship still has lots of cabin as this i a TA.

Input appreciated, thanks,

Diane

Hi,

I will be on the Ryndam in April which I believe, does not have Lanai cabins on the lower promenade.

I have an oppotunity to upgrade my J (for very little money if any) for an O/V on the lower promenade.

I have been in O/V on the main deck and realy like it, but I am concerned being on the lower promenade that people can look into the cabin. I usually keep the drapes open during the day and a litle bit at night so I can see light coming in the morning.

I also wonder if I will have a view if/when people use chair in front on the window during the day.

Alternatively I can wait/hope for an upsell for the O/V on the main deck. I believe the ship still has lots of cabin as this i a TA.

Input appreciated, thanks,

Diane

if you go to HALfacts.com (the link is in my signature if you don't know the new website) and go cabin 394 - you will find excellent examples of the questions you are asking. JTL513 was kind enough to send these in knowing people's concerns. It doesn't seem to be an issue from what he sent.

And those pics are on the Ryndam:D

Take a peek. I think (and hope) it should help

I've had OV cabins on that deck on the Ryndam and never felt that people were blocking my view or staring in. There's actually some kind of reflective coating on the window IIRC so that people cannot see in during the day. BUT if the drapes are open and the lights are on at night, they can see in.

The only downside to them IMHO is not being able to look down into the water as you can from a main deck cabin.

Also, be careful of what is above you. A friend was in 37# and got woken at 4 am every morning.... she was under a galley.

Edited by CowPrincess

BUT if the drapes are open and the lights are on at night, they can see in.
Maybe if their nose is pressed against the glass, but from where people ordinarily walk it is not possible to see in because of the bright deck lights which stay on all night. This picture was taken with the drapes open and every light in the room on:

http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/394-Ryndam.3.png

Edited by jtl513

I've sailed in a cabin on the Lower Promenade deck on the Veendam and had to keep the drapes closed - day or night. The coating on the cabin windows does not prevent people strolling on deck to see into your cabin especially when the lights are on. I found the cabins on this deck to be very undesirable.

On all four of my cruises.... :D ...., I have had a cabin on the promenade deck and there is no problem with privacy. In the daytime, the coating on the window prevents anyone from seeing inside. At night, just draw the heavy curtain and no one can see inside then. If you are doing some scenic cruising, then there might be a lot of people at the railings, but for the most part, you will be able to look out and have a great view of the ocean...presuming you book a cabin that is not totally obstructed.

An added benefit... going to bed, I have the solid curtain open just a bit and leave the sheers in place. That way, there is some light in case you need to get up during the night.

Works for me. ;)

Edited by KNOT2L82SAIL

We have chosen Lower Promenade cabins on all four S-class ships and the Amsterdam. We have tested the visibility into the cabin in all of them, day and night, with the drapes open and the lights on. If anyone is more than about a foot from the glass they will not be able to see anything inside, even at night.

Edited by catl331

I love the Lower Promenade Deck. During the day, people cannot see into the cabins. At night, if the lights are on and the drapes are open, people can see in.

I tend to keep the heavy drapes open during the day and leave them just cracked a tiny bit at night. Someone would have to have their noses right up to the glass to be able to see inside with that tiny opening. If you are in a very scenic area and people are lined up along the deck rails, they can block your view from within the cabin, but that doesn't happen often.

We had a major noise issue once on the Ryndam. I think it was galley above us.
We like the ones under the MDR best. When it's busy there we are either there ourselves or elsewhere on the ship, like a show or a lounge.

When we book a cruise on R & S class HAL ships we always choose the LP deck. We love it there! I have checked the window and couldn't even see if DH was in the room during the day. Easy access to the biggest balcony on the ship. Watch that you don't book a room under any Galley area and you will be fine - in our opinion. While we book Neptune Suites on Vista ships ... we never hesitate to book on the LP deck for R & S class ships.

We have booked OV cabins on R and S class ships for a total of 13 cruises. Most times I leave the curtains open but close them at night when dressing for dinner. While sleeping the sheers are closed. For the most part people walking by do NOT attempt to look in the window and in the daytime they will only see their reflection. There are people however that do attempt to see in, I think they are only curious to see if one can see in. And they have all been women, if that worries you.