"B.B.King Jazz Club" on Westerdam

K&RCurt

With the search function not working I went and looked though the last 20 pages of threads here, but found nothing that mentions the "B.B.King Jazz Club" on the Westerdam. We will be on the Westerdam for the March 22nd sailing and are wondering what this is all about.

What I have surmised from the limited information HAL has on their website is that they have one evening that they set this up in the Queen's Lounge with decore similar to B.B.King's actual club and then a band (just a few people from the "HalCats, or whatever they are called now?) playing blues.

To those who have attended this: As a big fan of live music, particularly Blues and Rock guitar, should I bother vs whatever else might be going on that evening? I have seen B.B. king live and others such as Jeff Beck, Walter Trout, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Johnny Winter, etc.. I am not expecting that level of performance, but if it is just "hokey" and sub par I would rather skip it entirely than have to walk out in the middle of it!

Thanks for your input and I apologize if this has been covered before here.

I can't comment on the Westerdam's BB King show, but I did see it several times on the Noordam this month. I would guess they are pretty much the same, but with different performers. What I saw on the Noordam was wonderful. Five very talented jazz musicians, and a show put on nearly every night. Come to think of it, I believe they had 2 shows each night. One earlier and one later. One of the nights they did a show in the big showlounge, and got a standing ovation. These folks really know how to play jazz.

I hope you get the same thing on the Westerdam. Attendance will be well worth your time.

I can't comment on the Westerdam's BB King show, but I did see it several times on the Noordam this month. I would guess they are pretty much the same, but with different performers. What I saw on the Noordam was wonderful. Five very talented jazz musicians, and a show put on nearly every night. Come to think of it, I believe they had 2 shows each night. One earlier and one later. One of the nights they did a show in the big showlounge, and got a standing ovation. These folks really know how to play jazz.

I hope you get the same thing on the Westerdam. Attendance will be well worth your time.

I counted six I wonder if someone quit

Drummer

Saxophone

Trumpet

Bass guitar

Piano

Lead guitar

With the search function not working I went and looked though the last 20 pages of threads here, but found nothing that mentions the "B.B.King Jazz Club" on the Westerdam.

you probably didn't get many hits because you searched for the wrong thing. it's "BB King's BLUES club".... not Jazz club

i went to the show at the club (the queens lounge) on the Westerdam in January, about 3 or 4 times. Good band, but i wouldn't consider what they were playing blues (i'm from chicago). 6 piece band with 2 singers (1 male & 1 female). The music was mostly R&B from the 60s/70s- Motown/Stevie Wonder/Aretha Franklin etc. Most of the focus is on the singers, the band members didn't get much solo time.

The guitarist was good, but I think the only time he got a solo was when he played Cold Shot by Stevie Ray Vaughen.

This band was better than the HALCats - but i would have preferred more bluesy (muddy waters/buddy Guy type music).... although i'm not sure the rest of the passengers would enjoy that.

With the search function not working I went and looked though the last 20 pages of threads here, but found nothing that mentions the "B.B.King Jazz Club" on the Westerdam. We will be on the Westerdam for the March 22nd sailing and are wondering what this is all about.

What I have surmised from the limited information HAL has on their website is that they have one evening that they set this up in the Queen's Lounge with decore similar to B.B.King's actual club and then a band (just a few people from the "HalCats, or whatever they are called now?) playing blues.

To those who have attended this: As a big fan of live music, particularly Blues and Rock guitar, should I bother vs whatever else might be going on that evening? I have seen B.B. king live and others such as Jeff Beck, Walter Trout, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Johnny Winter, etc.. I am not expecting that level of performance, but if it is just "hokey" and sub par I would rather skip it entirely than have to walk out in the middle of it!

Thanks for your input and I apologize if this has been covered before here.

Was on Westerdam over Thanksgiving holiday week and went several times to see them perform. They were usually set up in the Queen's Lounge and did 3 sets each over 4 nights and then where the main lounge 1 night for a terrific performance. They don't mix HALCats with the group. It is not hokey at all as these performers are from the various B.B. King's Blues Clubs, but they haven't performed as a group together, except for on the ship. They do a lot of Motown mixed with old stuff and new blues like Gary Clark, Jr. If Cee Cee is still the female lead singer, you're in for a treat!

I would at least see the main show in the main lounge and go at least 1 night to the Queen's Lounge. I was there each night and they just got better.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I wonder if it's a true B-3 or the "New" B-3 by Hammond Suzuki.

I guess I'll know in just under 2 weeks. :what:

I wonder as well, I haven't heard one of the new ones live. Hard to beat an old B3 with a Leslie speaker.

This sounds like it will be better than I expected.

I wonder as well, I haven't heard one of the new ones live. Hard to beat an old B3 with a Leslie speaker.

Yes it's great. They don't even ask anybody to dance and the dance floor is packed. Not that I can dance:eek:

They did a really nice job matching the sound. It's not quite as warm to my ears, but it's a very, very good facsimile.

We were on the Noordam for the 11-day starting Jan 27. And the Blues Club was the best. We say them every night of the cruise. Great band and very tight. They played a lot of motown and blues. A bit of jamming too. But everything was great. A few folks said that they were loud but I wouldn't have it any other way. If you like that type of music, you'll love them.

If I remember some of the names of the performers.....

Lil' Rounds was the female singer. She was on American Idol season 8. I like her then, and she's even better now. Great voice.

Larry Springfield was the male singer. Great voice and great performer. Loved it. The two of them make a great show.

There was also a keyboard player, drummer, bass, guitar player, trumpet and sax. Sorry, but I don't remember their names. All of them were great. Especially the guitar player. Super blues play. All of them did some individual jamming which was super.

Another poster was asking what the keyboard player was using. On the Noordam, the keyboard player was using a Hammond Organ and a Roland XB. There are so many different models for each of those keyboards, I'm not sure of the exact one that they were using.

All I know is that the next time that I cruise, who's playing in the blues club is the first question I'm going to ask. If Lil' Rounds and Larry Springfield are there, I'll change my itinerary just to see them play again. This line up will be on the Noordam until the end of March '14. I don't know what will be playing after that. HAL has got a winner with this venue and they certainly should not give it up.

Is the playlist the same every night? Or is it totally new?

No they change it up you might here the same song every now an then

They play

BB king

Earth Wind And Fire

Van Morrison

Stevie Wonder

K.C. And The Sunshine Band

Prince

Various Motown

And many more

We were on the Noordam for the 11-day starting Jan 27. And the Blues Club was the best. We say them every night of the cruise. Great band and very tight. They played a lot of motown and blues. A bit of jamming too. But everything was great. A few folks said that they were loud but I wouldn't have it any other way. If you like that type of music, you'll love them.

If I remember some of the names of the performers.....

Lil' Rounds was the female singer. She was on American Idol season 8. I like her then, and she's even better now. Great voice.

Larry Springfield was the male singer. Great voice and great performer. Loved it. The two of them make a great show.

There was also a keyboard player, drummer, bass, guitar player, trumpet and sax. Sorry, but I don't remember their names. All of them were great. Especially the guitar player. Super blues play. All of them did some individual jamming which was super.

Another poster was asking what the keyboard player was using. On the Noordam, the keyboard player was using a Hammond Organ and a Roland XB. There are so many different models for each of those keyboards, I'm not sure of the exact one that they were using.

All I know is that the next time that I cruise, who's playing in the blues club is the first question I'm going to ask. If Lil' Rounds and Larry Springfield are there, I'll change my itinerary just to see them play again. This line up will be on the Noordam until the end of March '14. I don't know what will be playing after that. HAL has got a winner with this venue and they certainly should not give it up.

Drummer was Dave Mason who I found uber talented

Well, I do not know about the typical HAL passenger, but if I was playing Family Feud, and the question was "Name a Famous Blues Performer";with the possible exception of B.B. King - my answer would not be found on the list above.

Now, the set list may be consistent for the BB King "Blues" Clubs on land, but I think the traditional Blues fan will not be very happy. I have watched several performance clips on Youtube, and I will have to readjust my original exuberance when I heard that the B.B. King Blues Club would be included in our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

On the other hand, this is a step in the right direction. I am glad to see evidence that the ghost of Lawrence Welk is no longer aboard.

I was on the Western am over New Year's and spent every night listening to the B B King band. They did three sets a night and each set started with what I would consider to be traditional blues and it would transition into a Motown sound. Each musician is exceptionally talented. The drummer goes by the moniker NaturalPhil. You can find some videos of him on YouTube.

I was on the Westerdam's Jan 4 sailing. The BB King shows were excellent !

There were two or three shows each night in the Queen's Lounge and one night, the band took over the Vista Showroom.

Be warned, the Queen's Lounge is kept chilly. Needed a jacket every time.

Well, I do not know about the typical HAL passenger, but if I was playing Family Feud, and the question was "Name a Famous Blues Performer";with the possible exception of B.B. King - my answer would not be found on the list above.

Now, the set list may be consistent for the BB King "Blues" Clubs on land, but I think the traditional Blues fan will not be very happy. I have watched several performance clips on Youtube, and I will have to readjust my original exuberance when I heard that the B.B. King Blues Club would be included in our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

On the other hand, this is a step in the right direction. I am glad to see evidence that the ghost of Lawrence Welk is no longer aboard.

:eek:--K.C. and the sunshine band--OH NO- i'm on the same cruise, I am a big fan of the blues, just saw BB in toronto last fall, I see him everytime he's playing in the area, But, your right, this is a wonderful direction for HAL to go:D