Tipping onboard

dorthegale

The guidelines state the guest should tip concierge and butler service commencerate with service. I find this very confusing. We use the butler more than the concierge...but tipping them would seem to me appropriate. Any one else figured this out comfortably?

If the search function would come back you could find dozens of threads on this exact topic.

In general, it's up to you. Some tip at time of use. Some tip at the end. Some tip a lot and some tip a little. Personally, I would tip when I use them for something

And when do you tip them? At the time you ask them for something or keep track and pay at the end of the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would definitely tip your butler or concierge whenever you get something. Not to say that you wouldn't receive excellent service anyway, but it lets them know immediately that you appreciate it, as opposed to them wondering if they will get a tip at the end.

I am in a regular balcony cabin, and I know that our tips are already taken care of in our mandatory daily charge, but I give my cabin steward $20 when I meet them. It pretty much assures excellent service from that point on. I still tip above and beyond for excellent service during the cruise. An extra $40 or $50 from just one cabin goes a long way to making an employee of the ship a little happier. If everyone gave just a little extra for excellent service, it would go a long way!

Edited by DinaS

On our first NCL cruise (about 8 cruises ago) we were taught the art of tipping the Concierge and Butler by a fellow cruiser in the Haven who was on his 40th NCL cruise. They like to be tipped at the end of the trip. We do just that and base it on our use of services. We do tend to use the Butler every day for breakfast in our suite, and you will get your afternoon snacks delivered everyday.

end of the cruise for me.....if you tip them a couple of days before they seem to disappear. I read people start at $100. for each. We have done that on some, but much less on others. But I do feel obligated myself, as they are not included in the general pool. The butler has generally done more work for us.

We tip them at the end of the cruise, based upon how much we used them, and how helpful they were. The butlers are the ones we use the most.

Some cruises we have never seen the concierge after the first day, and never needed their services. Consequently, we would not tip them.

Usually you can find them easily on the last day, to tip them, or you can leave a tip for them at the pursers desk.

For us, its easier to tip them at the end of the cruise, rather then carry a wad of cash around, and pass out cash to folks all the time.

I've been on over 40 cruises and last 10 years only in suites. I usually tip the day before disembarkation. I take thank you notes with me and place the tip in that along with a small note. I never felt the need to tip in the beginning assuring myself good service the butlers bend over backwards for you from the start of your cruise. The concierge helps you get on and off the ship without waiting in line also makes reservations for you for shows and restaurants. I find this very helpful because if a place is full they still get you into the show or restaurant. Tips are personal. Without saying what I tip or what "people" think is right I say the average seems to be 5-10a day per person and use. If you don't use them for 2 days of your cruise then no need to tip them for it. I know this is a touchy subject which gets people riled up. But if you have room service even after regular hours butler service takes care of it. They have night butlers when your regular one is off. Also if yu get sick it's great they bring food to you. If you let them know your snack preference early they will make note of it. Also if you have a party in your suite they can prepare it for your guests. I love my butler and concierge to me they are an incredible asset to my cruise. Enjoy your suite. Also dont overthink your tips, and wonder how much they make per cruise some people surprisingly don't tip at all

Tipping on board happens when the wave height increases and the ballast and stabalizer systems aren't work properly! (especially for those who've overindulged in the UBP) :eek:

Edited by jame_g

The butler and other staff are covered under the $12 a day discretionary service charge.

Concierges are in fact customer service staff - the same as the people on the customer relations desk. They all work in the same department.

Of course you are welcome to tip extra, but it is not required.

You will not get better or poorer service if you do or don't.

It should always be an individual matter and not something that you should feel pressured into doing if you do not wish to.

There is a good reason why the NCL site states 'A fixed service charge of $12 per person per day will be payable, at your discretion.'

The butler and other staff are covered under the $12 a day discretionary service charge.

Concierges are in fact customer service staff - the same as the people on the customer relations desk. They all work in the same department.

It should always be an individual matter and not something that you should feel pressured into doing if you do not wish to.

There is a good reason why the NCL site states 'A fixed service charge of $12 per person per day will be payable, at your discretion.'

And of course this is incorrect. The butler and concierge are clearly not part of the DSC. NCL spells this out in several places.

We always tip them at the end of the cruise. In talking to the butler on our last cruise he told us they prefer to receive anything they are going to get at the end. Same info as we received the first time we were in a suite.

From the NCL FAQ section:

"Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered."

Butlers are not part of the DSC.

Couldn't be more wrong.

The butler & concierge is NOT included in the $12.00 DSC. You tip at your own discretion. Some people use a base and tip up or down depending on use & service. A good concierge & butler can really make a difference in your cruising experience. JMHO

Edited by NJLVW

I am so confused. Yesterday, I asked at Guest Services and was told that the butler and concierge were included in the tip pool. I signed on this morning to ask for suggestions on additional tips for 4 crew members who were just so fantastic (cabin steward, server, hostess, concierge) and we want to recognize them for that.

And of course this is incorrect. The butler and concierge are clearly not part of the DSC. NCL spells this out in several places.

We always tip them at the end of the cruise. In talking to the butler on our last cruise he told us they prefer to receive anything they are going to get at the end. Same info as we received the first time we were in a suite.

From the NCL FAQ section:

"Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered."

Never said that butlers are part of customer services. They are part of the housekeeping team, surely?

Can't see that quote on FAQ at http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/#service-charge

Maybe they have different rules to cruises sold in the UK.

Experienced NCL cruisers have told us that the preferred amount for the butler and concierge are $10 per day, given at the end of the cruise. We occasionally provide more if the service was better than average. The concierge on our most recent cruise on the Jewel went well above and beyond in ensuring that everything was perfect so we tipped accordingly. The thank you we received from both indicated to me that they were quite happy with what we provided.

I usually tip the day before disembarkation. I take thank you notes with me and place the tip in that along with a small note. I never felt the need to tip in the beginning assuring myself good service the butlers bend over backwards for you from the start of your cruise. The concierge helps you get on and off the ship without waiting in line also makes reservations for you for shows and restaurants. I find this very helpful because if a place is full they still get you into the show or restaurant. Tips are personal. Without saying what I tip or what "people" think is right I say the average seems to be 5-10a day per person and use. If you don't use them for 2 days of your cruise then no need to tip them for it. I know this is a touchy subject which gets people riled up. But if you have room service even after regular hours butler service takes care of it. They have night butlers when your regular one is off. Also if yu get sick it's great they bring food to you. If you let them know your snack preference early they will make note of it. Also if you have a party in your suite they can prepare it for your guests. I love my butler and concierge to me they are an incredible asset to my cruise. Enjoy your suite. Also dont overthink your tips, and wonder how much they make per cruise some people surprisingly don't tip at all

Ditto on everything Cabin Cop said so well (took the words right out of my mouth) We love our butlers (so far) and usually tip $10pp for each day, same for concierge, and our steward usually $50+ extra depending on the size of the suite.

Edited by auntierobin

I am so confused. Yesterday, I asked at Guest Services and was told that the butler and concierge were included in the tip pool. I signed on this morning to ask for suggestions on additional tips for 4 crew members who were just so fantastic (cabin steward, server, hostess, concierge) and we want to recognize them for that.

Indeed they are, however cash tips in addition will never be turned down :)

You can also tip in a local currency, so in Europe feel free to tip in Euros. Cash is cash at the end of the day.

The Butler and Concierge are not covered under the DSC ($12 a day charge), they should be tipped separately. The Concierge is a dedicated person, not the customer service personnel at the front desk. From NCL website: Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

I set aside $10 a day per person for the Butler and $5 a day per person for the Concierge; I don't use the Concierge as much as I use the Butler. I add on to those figures for services over and above and would take away for unsatisfactory services. I always tip at the end of the cruise. I just don't like tipping in the beginning of the cruise, seems gauche IMHO, but that is just me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Where does it say that at http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/#service-charge

A USA site is not relevant to anyone booking in the UK or Europe.

Maybe they expect Americans to pay different amounts to other guests? Maybe the price charged in the UK or Europe reflects these amounts and therefore does not require anything extra?

If UK customers pay more than American customers, and these costs are built in to the cruise fare then I would not expect those clients to feel that they have to pay more.

Where does it say that at http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/#service-charge

A USA site is not relevant to anyone booking in the UK or Europe.

Maybe they expect Americans to pay different amounts to other guests? Maybe the price charged in the UK or Europe reflects these amounts and therefore does not require anything extra?

If UK customers pay more than American customers, and these costs are built in to the cruise fare then I would not expect those clients to feel that they have to pay more.

The OP is from California. Thus the information some of us posted is relevant to that poster's question. And you are correct, a USA site is not relevant to anyone booking in the UK or Europe, just as the UK site is not relevant to anyone booking in the USA.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The OP is from California. Thus the information some of us posted is relevant to that poster's question. And you are correct, a USA site is not relevant to anyone booking in the UK or Europe, just as the UK site is not relevant to anyone booking in the USA.

Point taken :)

As long as other Americans are not going to jump up and down because UK guests do not tip extra, as they are probably built into the price. :)

Concierges are NOT customer service staff. They go through special training and are in many cases Clef D'Or concierges: http://www.lcdusa.org/

Butlers are not part of the housekeeping staff.

Neither is included in the Daily Service Charge.