NCL Dawn Feb 23- No Passport...what to do

scoutandbunji

We listened to the travel adviser with NCL as far as not needing passports, but do have birth certificates and licenses.

Now getting nervous if we should get off the boat at any of the stops...Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel

Could there be a problem? Has anyone done it? Thoughts?

you'll be find. So long you are U.S. citizen. Make sure you have your BC and driver's license to board. You need BOTH to board or you'll be denied boarding. When you are in the ports all you are going to need is your NCL KeyPass/Door Key and your Driver's License. That's it. Bon Voyage and have a great time!:)

The above information is correct. As long as you have your BC and DL, assuming you are a US citizen, you'll be fine.

I didn't have a Passport for years and was still sailing.

The only inconvenience will be if you miss the ship in any of hose ports. You'll get home, but it will take a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We listened to the travel adviser with NCL as far as not needing passports, but do have birth certificates and licenses.

Now getting nervous if we should get off the boat at any of the stops...Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel

There could always be a problem if you (or someone in your party) get sick and need help, or if you miss your sailing at a port.

If there are no problems, then you don't need a passport.

Personally, I always carry a passport whenever I am out of the Continental United States or flying or cruising ANYWHERE (even within the US).

I believe in hoping for the best, but preparing for "less" than the best :)

I've done it as have my kids and other folks that I have traveled with. You will have no problems as long as the birth certificate is a certified copy or original, with raised seal.

It is possible to get passports in as little as 24 hours (Monday - Thursday) via a passport expediter. Google: Get a US Passport fast. Passport expeditor services offer 2 levels of service:

8 - 12 days

overnight (as long as the passport office is open the next day.)

Always make a copy of your passport (or other papers) and bring them with you along with a credit card and some cash on all excursions just in case you somehow miss the ship and need to fly to another country to rejoin it.

If you only have your BC, but don't bring it with you on excursions then you need to be cautious about what activities you do, because if you or someone in your party gets hurt and winds up in a hospital, you will definitely miss the ship.

IMO, you should never travel outside the US without your passport. I know many people have and have not had any problems and I hope the same goes for you if you choose not to get a passport.

Get a notarized copy of your BC. That's what I did on cruises before I had my passport

My DD and DSIL used their birth certificates and driver's licenses on our Dawn cruise in January. Since DD's driver's license was in her married name, she also brought a copy of her marriage license (which was scrutinized carefully).

We did the same for my wife and brought a notarized copy of that as well.

I did the Dawn in November, your good with just a BC and ID.

I've done it as have my kids and other folks that I have traveled with. You will have no problems as long as the birth certificate is a certified copy or original, with raised seal.

Not all birth certificates have a raised seal. Some have seals that are impressed or embossed, and in some cases the BC is printed on specially watermarked security paper.

Neither the CBP regulation, nor NCL's explanation of same use the words "raised seal". The requirement is that the BC must be issued by the government, not a hospital.

Edited by njhorseman

This is not a criticism on anyone's choice...but a fair question. Why are people so hesitant/resistant to own their own passport? (this doesn't apply to folks who booked a cruise in a timeframe where obtaining a passport can't be done - horse before cart? great deal? spontaneous booking...etc)

Is it the cost?

Is it because if you aren't traveling, it just sits in a drawer somewhere?

As there are many examples, here is another one:

A coworker of mine was on the Breakaway last September 2013 (NYC to BDA). While en route they got word a member of their immediate family passed away. Once the ship arrived in BDA, they went straight to the airport to head back home. Easily done with passports. Without them, they would have to wait for the US Consulate to open, prepare the application, take photos...the whole bit. Though I'm sure that process can be expedited...just thinking of adding more stress to an already stressful situation wouldn't be something i'd like to experience.

Not all birth certificates have a raised seal. Some have seals that are impressed or embossed, and in some cases the BC is printed on specially watermarked security paper.

Neither the CBP regulation, nor NCL's explanation of same use the words "raised seal". The requirement is that the BC must be issued by the government, not a hospital.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say :). It must have some type of official government seal, mark, stamp or what not. Those pretty little papers with your baby feet stamped on them aren't gonna cut it, LOL.