Getaway "Returnees"

GeorgiaGirl14

Hello,

Just returned from the 2/8 sailing on Getaway. We were in an S6 suite. I have been on many NCL cruises and found the service to be lacking. The ship is gorgeous, but found the crew to be disappointing. Will post more soon.

Sorry to hear this but maybe since you were on the first sailing, there will be growing pains with the crew. Cant wait to read all about your review!

Hello,

Just returned from the 2/8 sailing on Getaway. We were in an S6 suite. I have been on many NCL cruises and found the service to be lacking. The ship is gorgeous, but found the crew to be disappointing. Will post more soon.

Nooo! When you talk about disappointing crew, do you mean your butler and concierge or elsewhere on the ship? Which S6 did you have? We are booked in an S6, so lots of details on which deck you were on and your recommendation on that is appreciated. Can't wait to hear more from a fellow S6'er :) And thanks in advance!

Nooo! When you talk about disappointing crew, do you mean your butler and concierge or elsewhere on the ship? Which S6 did you have? We are booked in an S6, so lots of details on which deck you were on and your recommendation on that is appreciated. Can't wait to hear more from a fellow S6'er :) And thanks in advance!

its all going to vary. I have seen several reviews today from folks from this same sailing that had a fantastic time and excellent service.....so don't let the bad outweigh the good! its going to be all about perception....

its all going to vary. I have seen several reviews today from folks from this same sailing that had a fantastic time and excellent service.....so don't let the bad outweigh the good! its going to be all about perception....

I like your attitude Tiffygirl!!! My husband and I are boarding the gorgeous Getaway next Saturday, 2/22 and as much as I love reading all the reviews I will NOT let ANYTHING dampen or color my anticipation of our vacation and celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary!!!! All I need for a great vacation is my sweet husband, great conversation and time together...the Getaway is going to provide the perfect 'backdrop' for our special time!! :D

I like your attitude Tiffygirl!!! My husband and I are boarding the gorgeous Getaway next Saturday, 2/22 and as much as I love reading all the reviews I will NOT let ANYTHING dampen or color my anticipation of our vacation and celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary!!!! All I need for a great vacation is my sweet husband, great conversation and time together...the Getaway is going to provide the perfect 'backdrop' for our special time!! :D

40 Years! Congratulations and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :)

Agree 100%, but I'm still curious about my S6!!

Same date. I already started packing

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Nice! Us too, already starting to lay out stuff on the bed in the guest bedroom (my snorkel gear, camera stuff, charger cables, connections for watching tablet movies on the TV, etc. etc.). Also did a bit of clothes shopping today, fortunately some warm weather/spring stuff is starting to appear in the stores. First time I've ever bought shorts while it was literally snowing outside, lol! :cool:

That really doesn't make any sense. We've almost always been in boarding groups 1, 2, or 3. I like the idea of the Vibe passes. Posh allows too many people - with the suite guests and then other guest. I like that Vibe makes everyone pay, and it's only for a limited number of people. My 17-year old can't get in yet, so we'll stick with Spice (which is more than fine, IMO).

Hi we are sailing the Getaway in June....Wondering what is a VIBE pass? Can we reserve our pool chairs for the cruise? Other cruise lines we've sailed didn't have that. :p

Well that sure as hell better not happen with us, as that's the whole reason we're 1) flying in the day before, and 2) spending the extra $$$ to stay so closer to the port. I don't want to have to go off on somebody first thing in the AM at the start of our vacation, but there's no way that would be acceptable to either my wife or me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It all depends on your sailing.... I was in boarding group 2 and the last pass (well the last 4 passes) was sold to the guy in front of me!! I was pretty disappointed! So I bought a spa pass instead. :p

It all depends on your sailing.... I was in boarding group 2 and the last pass (well the last 4 passes) was sold to the guy in front of me!! I was pretty disappointed! So I bought a spa pass instead. :p

All I can say is my wife will be devastated if we don't get a pass, that was our absolute favorite part of Breakaway, and probably the biggest reason we chose a Getaway sailing over another Allure/Oasis trip. So I put everything I had planning-wise into making sure we put ourselves into a position to get them. We originally planned to fly in the day-of to save some money, but because we didn't want to risk not getting the passes we ponied up the extra money to fly in the day before. And then we weren't even going to stay in Miami, but in Fort Lauderdale, but again because we didn't want to risk getting to the port late, we basically paid double to get the downtown hotel. So yeah, you might think I'm crazy, but that's how much we/she liked having the Vibe (we are young but can't stand kids running around while we're relaxing on deck), and as a result we've got a lot invested in making sure we get these passes. ;)

I have nice person who is leaving on Getaway today who is getting the dailies for me. If nothing else, I can share those next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That would make you a nice person too. :D

Okay, here goes, I (insert drumroll) LOVED it! Just got back today from the first post christening sailing and since I am fairly new I did not keep my dailies thinking a more experienced CC member would already be on top of it. So sorry, feel free to smack me :D.

The embarkation was pretty painless, got to the port at around 10:45 am, was given a group 8 pass and immediately made my way down to the service desk to get Vibe passes, which turned out to be an awesome decision as the ship was super crowded. Yay CC for educating me.

Service

I have no clue what people are complaining about service wise. I had a couple of instances where things were slightly "slow". However, given this was the first voyage with a full ship and training was still in full swing I thought everyone did a great job. Happy faces dominated. Lots of reps on hand from corporate to make sure anything that remotely qualified for improvement was addressed. I sailed in October on the Breakaway and like this ship (her twin sister and identical in so many ways) much better. The whole Miami theme just feels more"sunny" and happier to me.

Restaurants

Loved Moderno and Teppanyaki. The Tropicana room is a fantastic space. Otherwise NCL regulars are familiar with the menu. I am happy to answer questions. I like good food and felt that the extra fees were well worth it.

Entertainment

Burn the Floor was fabulous, the Illusionarium show is fantastic. And I really loved Legally Blonde. Disclaimer here in that I have a child who performs in that show, but in all fairness the quality of the production is superior to most shows I have seen performed on board of ships. The same holds true for BTF and the magic show. There was also a Wine Lovers musical that was being performed as a lunch option, be aware that yes you do get a full meal that is essentially the same as ghe dinner that is served during the Illusionarium. I didn't realize that and ate the same for lunch and dinner as I attended both on the same day. Oops. Still, NCL is clearly wanting to make a statement here, because the level of talent of the performers was impressive. At night, Howl at the Moon boasted incredible performers (catering to a somewhat more mature audience perhaps) and the Grammy Experience was packed every night as well, with people thoroughly enjoying themselves.

There is tons to do for children and the club was filled with happy energetic that oozed out (my cabin was on the same deck so I had a chance to see that as I caught the elevator.

I am not really a spa girl, but I decided to treat my girlfriend and I and boy was it worth it. It was nice to relax after port day, away from the hustle bustle in the pool areas. There are plenty of lounge chairs available, but I am just not into the "bumper to bumper" tanning thing.

Conclusion

The parties were all fantastic. Instead of the White Hot there's the Glow party (like on the Breakaway) Again if you are an NCL regular, you know that Julie is an amazing Cruise Director. It actually feels as if she has identical triplet sisters, because she is just everywhere.

I can't wait to go back!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by dtchgrl618

Thanks for the review! We sail at the end of may in a B6. How was the waterfront?

The Waterfront was great and a lot of people made use of it. There's comfy seating and we generally didn't have an issue finding a spot. Then there is also the specialty restaurant seating, but we didn't try that (I like to be near the Moderno appetizer buffet and Teppanyaki is indoors). Yesterday the outdoor area near the bar was a bit too windy for me, but all the other days were comfortable.

That really doesn't make any sense. We've almost always been in boarding groups 1, 2, or 3. I like the idea of the Vibe passes. Posh allows too many people - with the suite guests and then other guest. I like that Vibe makes everyone pay, and it's only for a limited number of people. My 17-year old can't get in yet, so we'll stick with Spice (which is more than fine, IMO).

It's something that really annoyed me I must say! When they gave me 20 on my last cruise I wanted to scream! But really they skipped half the numbers and called twenty with the third set. That is after the handicap and VIP people got on board!

We spent almost every day in spice on our last cruise. Got out there around 7 and lounged all day :) it was great!

Okay, here goes, I (insert drumroll) LOVED it! Just got back today from the first post christening sailing and since I am fairly new I did not keep my dailies thinking a more experienced CC member would already be on top of it. So sorry, feel free to smack me :D.

The embarkation was pretty painless, got to the port at around 10:45 am, was given a group 8 pass and immediately made my way down to the service desk to get Vibe passes, which turned out to be an awesome decision as the ship was super crowded. Yay CC for educating me.

Service

I have no clue what people are complaining about service wise. I had a couple of instances where things were slightly "slow". However, given this was the first voyage with a full ship and training was still in full swing I thought everyone did a great job. Happy faces dominated. Lots of reps on hand from corporate to make sure anything that remotely qualified for improvement was addressed. I sailed in October on the Breakaway and like this ship (her twin sister and identical in so many ways) much better. The whole Miami theme just feels more"sunny" and happier to me.

Restaurants

Loved Moderno and Teppanyaki. The Tropicana room is a fantastic space. Otherwise NCL regulars are familiar with the menu. I am happy to answer questions. I like good food and felt that the extra fees were well worth it.

Entertainment

Burn the Floor was fabulous, the Illusionarium show is fantastic. And I really loved Legally Blonde. Disclaimer here in that I have a child who performs in that show, but in all fairness the quality of the production is superior to most shows I have seen performed on board of ships. The same holds true for BTF and the magic show. There was also a Wine Lovers musical that was being performed as a lunch option, be aware that yes you do get a full meal that is essentially the same as ghe dinner that is served during the Illusionarium. I didn't realize that and ate the same for lunch and dinner as I attended both on the same day. Oops. Still, NCL is clearly wanting to make a statement here, because the level of talent of the performers was impressive. At night, Howl at the Moon boasted incredible performers (catering to a somewhat more mature audience perhaps) and the Grammy Experience was packed every night as well, with people thoroughly enjoying themselves.

There is tons to do for children and the club was filled with happy energetic that oozed out (my cabin was on the same deck so I had a chance to see that as I caught the elevator.

I am not really a spa girl, but I decided to treat my girlfriend and I and boy was it worth it. It was nice to relax after port day, away from the hustle bustle in the pool areas. There are plenty of lounge chairs available, but I am just not into the "bumper to bumper" tanning thing.

Conclusion

The parties were all fantastic. Instead of the White Hot there's the Glow party (like on the Breakaway) Again if you are an NCL regular, you know that Julie is an amazing Cruise Director. It actually feels as if she has identical triplet sisters, because she is just everywhere.

I can't wait to go back!

Glad to hear you had a great cruise! Thanks for the review :)

Service

Restaurants

Entertainment

Conclusion

I can't wait to go back!

Thanks so much for throwing us a bone! :D So many of us sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear!

We sail her in 35 days! Can't wait....

Service

Restaurants

Entertainment

Conclusion

I can't wait to go back!

Thanks for the info!! How was your cabin?

The cabin

We had an outside cabin with a balcony deck 12 aft forward. The thing that stood out for me was that I could take a shower comfortably (I am tall). As people have mentioned the balconies are small but then we only really sat there to take a picture or two. Two things I don't like but "fixed" on my own was that the cabin only has 2 outlets that are near the desk, so I brought an extension cord to plug in my gizmos so I could read my iPad in bed, while charging my phone and my girlfriend could charge her laptop too. Another thing is that the power turns off when you leave your cabin and pull your key card out of the slot (not practical if you are trying to charge something), so we folded some paper and stuck it in the slot as needed. Beds are really comfortable and the full size sofa came in handy to set out outfits :D Luggage fit nicely underneath the beds and there was plenty of storage space and hangers (and we did not travel light...). I can't remember for the life of me if there's a gap between the railing and plexiglass.

The cabin

We had an outside cabin with a balcony deck 12 aft forward. The thing that stood out for me was that I could take a shower comfortably (I am tall). As people have mentioned the balconies are small but then we only really sat there to take a picture or two. Two things I don't like but "fixed" on my own was that the cabin only has 2 outlets that are near the desk, so I brought an extension cord to plug in my gizmos so I could read my iPad in bed, while charging my phone and my girlfriend could charge her laptop too. Another thing is that the power turns off when you leave your cabin and pull your key card out of the slot (not practical if you are trying to charge something), so we folded some paper and stuck it in the slot as needed. Beds are really comfortable and the full size sofa came in handy to set out outfits :D Luggage fit nicely underneath the beds and there was plenty of storage space and hangers (and we did not travel light...). I can't remember for the life of me if there's a gap between the railing and plexiglass.

thanks for posting the mini review! im so glad you enjoyed your cruise!

was Levity Entertainment a big improvement from Second City?