Is Junior Suite worth additional $$

Fair enough. May I assume that when you book a JS you specify "Do Not Upgrade"? GS and above have separate sleeping areas, so those suites force you to split up your activities.

LOL! :D They have a curtain Thom, and one bed. We have had GS as well and have never been forced to split up our activities or our "stuff". :D

It is a little bit of a waste though....we do tend to pile stuff all over that useless bar. But we will always happily take an upgrade if offered....I've always wanted to explore a bidet in an OS. :D:o:D

Edited by Coralc

We loved the Jr Suite too, whats not to love? BUT the difference in that and the D1 we have booked on the FOS in November is $960. No way am I paying that much for a few extras. We had and E1 (slightly smaller room with love seat) last cruise and it served its purpose very well for two people. This time we chose the D1 (larger room with full sofa) because of its location (hump). The balcony is deeper than Carnival ships but doesn't have a lounger (wish it had) but was just fine for us.

For future informtion check out Hollands Nieuw Amsterdam V balconies on the eight floor. We had one last Nov. and is what all balconies should be in terms of depth, seven feet, and didn't have to pay for a suite. (But we still love RC the most).

What are the advantages and benefits of a junior suite? Is the additional dollars you would pay over a superior balcony worth the benefits? We are planning a B2B2B month plus and wonder if the additional space would be worth the extra dollars.

Thank you for your advice

PAH

How much time will you spend in the room?

We've booked 2 OVS the last 3 cruises but haven't gotten double the points. Wondering about this???? I thought double points were only for JS and above

You don't get double points for booking two rooms. Double points are for the suites.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A lot of people told us don't book a JS. Your never in the room. We have only been in a JS and we love it! Our friends had a balcony suite and an inside. The reason they don't ever spend time in the room is because the room is so small! Go for the JS. Spend time lounging on the balcony with a room service snack. Invite your new friends over to your cabin for a drink. There's plenty of space:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by goldgirl2

Several reasons for me to book a JR Suite, bathtub for DW, extra space, full sofa (I do not like to nap in a bed), we order room service and not feel like your are camping out, and I enjoy getting a salad from the WJ and having lunch on the balcony.

Is Junior Suite worth additional $$? It all depends. There are numerous correct answers.

Many will argue it's not necessary because they do not spend any time in the room. Others will extol the virtues of the large balcony, the extra space, the walk-in closet, the full size tub, or the priority boarding.

As a frequent Vegas visitor, it's much like the endless debate there "Why should I pay $$ for a suite at The Wynn, when I can get a perfectly clean room at Bally's for a fraction of the price? After all, I'm just in the room to crash for a few hours". Well, if that's your approach, then no, it doesn't make sense. If on the other hand, you enjoy having the space to relax, then go for it. It's totally personal as to whether it's "worth it".

The biggest benefit is the double C&A points you will earn in your JS cabin.

I would never consider this the "biggest benefit". I personally could care less about cruise points and would never choose a stateroom or cruise because of points. To me, that's kind of like "chasing comps" in Vegas. You want something? You're ALWAYS better off just paying for it than jumping through the hoops to get the "comp". But then again, I'm a lowly Diamond and have no concerns about becoming Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. Perhaps those actively striving for higher levels feel differently.

.The double points in that scenario were for solo bookings.
Correct. Double points for solo bookings just started a few months ago, and are probably not well known outside the solo sailing community (I heard about them only here on Cruise Critic). It is because of this new double points for solos feature that I hypothesized getting two balcony cabins versus a JS. I misspoke above on the sailing - the cost analysis posted was for the 11 Apr 2015 Oasis - I have not done other dates or other ships, so don't know if the ratio is better or worse than average. The analysis was done with a 200% single supplement. If you have 340 or more C&A points (I do not), and thereby have a 150% single supplement, two balconies for solos would actually be $1400 LESS than one JS for 2 people.

Thom

We were in our first JS this past October on the Oasis. We LOVED this room and it has really spoiled us! We were on the hump so the balcony was huge, 2 loungers, a dining sized table (not one of those little bitty things) and 3 chairs! There was a sofa and a chair in the room, walk in closet..which we absolutely loved, robes and tub in the bathroom, also a coffee maker and tea kettle! Besides the double points, to us it was worth the upgrade..BUT I must tell you that we did not originally chose that room..we had booked a D1. When it was about a month out from cruising date I was still checking prices on that cruise..I noticed that suddenly Junior suites had a guarantee price..which they hadn't had earlier. I called RCCL and they said that since they were unable to transfer some OBC from a (Celebrity) cruise that we had transferred from ..would $100 more pp be ok??!?!?!? Hell yea! LOL Took the room on the spot! Now as I said, we are sooooo spoiled.

We booked a Jr Suite one time because it was less than $100 extra for both my DW and myself for the entire cruise. Not a hard decision.

Shopping your prices can make a difference.

Plus, we have a mobility scooter we store in our cabin and that extra room made all the difference.

If we were going B2B I would love the extra stretch room of a Jr Suite.

We almost always book a JS when cruising. We love the extra space, walkin-closet and tub/shower combo. Plus the C&A double points are an added bonus. Usually the balcony is larger too. We had our first GS last year and it was great but we will probably stick to JS from this point on. Being Diamond Plus we get all the regular suite amenties anyway. Would definitely recommend booking the JS. Just know once you have one its hard to go back....LOL Happy Cruising!

Edited by Annefran

I thought this might be a good idea to up our C&A points. It will be an extra $1600 each to upgrade, that's an entire cruise! We'll stick with our D2 balcony!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ummm. Because you both get double points for booking a JS, anyway? We don't need 2 beds or 2 TVs or 2 showers for that matter.

I guess it might make sense for some people, but a JS works just as well for the two of us, without having things split up between 2 cabins.

Now, I believe if 2 singles booked 2 connecting junior suites....you would each earn TRIPLE points. That would probably be a score, but out of our price range. :D:):D

But you get double the on board credit and twice the D+ gifts if you book two rooms. The extra bathroom is nice.

Gina

But you get double the on board credit and twice the D+ gifts if you book two rooms. The extra bathroom is nice.

Gina

Good point Gina, I forget about the extra OBC and D+ gifts. That would give us 3 more bottles of wine per 7 day cruise.:)

We love the extra space in the junior suites. When we sailed on the Oasis, we put 3 of us in a D8. Ugghhh, I felt like we were on top of one another. After that, we did a junior suite and it was so much better. I love the walk in closet and the bathtub. Plus the huge balcony is great also. Its very much worth the extra cost to me.

What are the advantages and benefits of a junior suite? Is the additional dollars you would pay over a superior balcony worth the benefits? We are planning a B2B2B month plus and wonder if the additional space would be worth the extra dollars.

Thank you for your advice

PAH

I enjoy a jr suite on any cruise 7 days or more. Think it is worth the extra money. Especially if it is on the aft as larger balcony.

...I forget about the extra OBC and D+ gifts. That would give us 3 more bottles of wine per 7 day cruise.:)
I considered getting two Balcony Discounts (on each of the two Balconies, but only one on the JS) in my (sample of one) cost analysis, BUT my calculations did not include an extra combinable future cruise OBC nor the extra gifts.

Unless they skip the DL/CL, I think Bob will need help schlepping some of those (full) wine bottles off the ship - I volunteer:p.

Thom

I considered getting two Balcony Discounts (on each of the two Balconies, but only one on the JS) in my (sample of one) cost analysis, BUT my calculations did not include an extra combinable future cruise OBC nor the extra gifts.

Unless they skip the DL/CL, I think Bob will need help schlepping some of those (full) wine bottles off the ship - I volunteer:p.

Thom

Thanks Thom, but we always seem to find nice people at our MDR table who are willing to help us consume the wine. We've never had any left over!