Juneau will there be enough time?

2red4u

We are in Juneau from 7 to 1:30. I don't know how soon we are able to leave the ship, as this our first cruise and still learning how all this works. I believe we want to do a whale watch excursion and seems Harv and Marv come highly recommended. Would we have enough time to hike a bit around the mendenhall glacier, also? Or would we better to just walk around town after the whale watching.

We are in Juneau from 7 to 1:30. I don't know how soon we are able to leave the ship, as this our first cruise and still learning how all this works. I believe we want to do a whale watch excursion and seems Harv and Marv come highly recommended. Would we have enough time to hike a bit around the mendenhall glacier, also? Or would we better to just walk around town after the whale watching.

We are booked with Harv & Marv on the 8:20 excursion in Aug. It's a 4 hr trip so doesn't look like you will have any time at all after the excursion and very little before you go. When you book, make sure they know that your ship is leaving at 1:30 (guessing you will need to be onboard at 1).

Edited by UPGrandma

You should be able to get off the ship around 7am. Sorry, but you don't have time for both Mendenhall glacier "hiking" and a whale watch if you cobook. There is a chance you could take a cab direct to Mendenhall upon getting off the ship at 7am. And another cab direct to the whale watch, which if is 8:20am from downtown, could leave Mendenhall at that time as well. There may also be the chance of a pick up at Mendenhall, but I would expect an additional fee, offer this. You would need to know the EXACT dock of your whale watch, there are several, and the ability to get yourself going early. You will need to call a cab from Mendenhall, so be certain to have numbers. Call about 20 minutes prior to needing them, or arrange for your drop off to return and get you.

Since we stick to the Holland America Excursions so in case there is a problem, the ship will wait for us, I can only speak for cruise-sponsored excursions.

There is a whale watching with a nature walk to the Mendenhall Glacier that accomplishes both of your goals. Learning the evolution of glaciers during the short hike on the way to the glacier was very enjoyable:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1105

Are you certain it is Juneau that you have that port time? (Sounds more like a Ketchikan port time to me)

I'm a stressy kind of person. I'd do only the whale watch, and get back to the ship if that is your Juneau port schedule. JMHO of course.

Since we stick to the Holland America Excursions so in case there is a problem, the ship will wait for us, I can only speak for cruise-sponsored excursions.

Have you ever heard of an independent operator in Alaska leaving cruise passengers stranded after their cruise ship departed? In years and years of traveling there, I haven't. That line is actually just a "scare tactic" for the cruise lines to discourage people from booking independent excursions.

Harv & Marvs is a great example - 6-passenger boats vs. the 100+ passenger boats the cruise lines contract. Four hours on the water vs. +-3 hours for the cruise excursion. Free drop off at Mendenhall Glacier (not sure if the cruise line option even offers this, though they might).

Have you ever heard of an independent operator in Alaska leaving cruise passengers stranded after their cruise ship departed? In years and years of traveling there, I haven't. That line is actually just a "scare tactic" for the cruise lines to discourage people from booking independent excursions.

I can only speak from my experience and present my reasoning for using ship-sponsored excursions whenever possible:

Since ship-sponsored excursions could not come close to accommodating all of their passengers, there will always be a need for independent operators. I can only speak for the cruises that I have enjoyed but ship-sponsored excursions are usually sold out within a few days of the scheduled excursions and independent tours are the only option.

In my number of cruises, I know of at least six that did not manage to return to the ship on time as indicated by repeated paging up until the time the gangway was lifted. At the time, I did not determine that they had been on an independent tour but rather only their absence when it was time for the ship to depart. My Room Steward told me that it is not the norm but missing the ship does happen.

On the other hand, I have experienced three cruises where the ship was detained up to one hour while awaiting a late arriving ship-sponsored excursion.

In my number of cruises, I have noted more than 20 passengers at various ports rushing down the pier as the ships initial lines were being loosened. It is painful to see folks that appear of advanced age rushing. But for a few minutes, these could be added to the previously mentioned six.

I fully support the use of independent operators BUT I am fully cognizant that any mishap (flat tire, medical emergency, engine problem, accident, weather, etc.) that delays return to the ship on time will not cause the ship to wait for you.

In my case, I consider the additional cost of a ship-sponsored excursion as "insurance" that I will not be left behind without luggage, medications, or a reservation for a means to catch the ship in the next port.

Harv & Marvs is a great example - 6-passenger boats vs. the 100+ passenger boats the cruise lines contract. Four hours on the water vs. +-3 hours for the cruise excursion. Free drop off at Mendenhall Glacier (not sure if the cruise line option even offers this, though they might).

Speaking from experience, and 5 Alaska cruises - we use nothing but independents, and have never had a problem. The only one we heard of was a HAL excursion to Haines where we left 60 people behind who were held up due to bad weather (last cruise of the year). They were eventually flown back to Vancouver. We tend to use independents on all our cruise ports, wherever.

I can only speak from my experience and present my reasoning for using ship-sponsored excursions whenever possible:

Since ship-sponsored excursions could not come close to accommodating all of their passengers, there will always be a need for independent operators. I can only speak for the cruises that I have enjoyed but ship-sponsored excursions are usually sold out within a few days of the scheduled excursions and independent tours are the only option.

In my number of cruises, I know of at least six that did not manage to return to the ship on time as indicated by repeated paging up until the time the gangway was lifted. At the time, I did not determine that they had been on an independent tour but rather only their absence when it was time for the ship to depart. My Room Steward told me that it is not the norm but missing the ship does happen.

On the other hand, I have experienced three cruises where the ship was detained up to one hour while awaiting a late arriving ship-sponsored excursion.

In my number of cruises, I have noted more than 20 passengers at various ports rushing down the pier as the ships initial lines were being loosened. It is painful to see folks that appear of advanced age rushing. But for a few minutes, these could be added to the previously mentioned six.

I fully support the use of independent operators BUT I am fully cognizant that any mishap (flat tire, medical emergency, engine problem, accident, weather, etc.) that delays return to the ship on time will not cause the ship to wait for you.

In my case, I consider the additional cost of a ship-sponsored excursion as "insurance" that I will not be left behind without luggage, medications, or a reservation for a means to catch the ship in the next port.

Your "theory" sounds good, but you have NO confirmation they were caused by any independent vendor, which likely they were not. Sorry, clearly IF any vendor was the cause for a missed cruise ship, it would have been ALL over this board. You simply do not hear of any in Alaska.

There are no guarantees in life but the percentages are extremely low for any mishaps.

Are you certain it is Juneau that you have that port time? (Sounds more like a Ketchikan port time to me)

I'm a stressy kind of person. I'd do only the whale watch, and get back to the ship if that is your Juneau port schedule. JMHO of course.

There are itineraries with round trip Seattle sailings and having Tracy Arm and Juneau the same day.

There is a whale watching with a nature walk to the Mendenhall Glacier that accomplishes both of your goals. Learning the evolution of glaciers during the short hike on the way to the glacier was very enjoyable:

You took this and it went on the Nugget Falls trail? In the past they did the Trail of time, which has NO glaicer viewing, and free with a visitor center guide sheet.

Edited by Budget Queen

I believe that the Harv & Marv trips take you to the Mendenhall glacier. You could look at your time once you get there and decide if you can make your ship if you get off and take the bus back.

I would not recommend they consider this. Mendenhall buses can have long lines for returns. There may be an option for a short 15 min. stop with H&M which I have heard of in the past. But my suggestion above with the cab direct to Mendenahall once they disembark, gives the most time there.

We really want to go off on our own and hike but are too afraid of missing the ship. The independent tour operators we have looked at have a process in place in case u do miss the ship with them. Still a small scary thought but I feel confident with them getting us back in time. Harv and Marv have a great reputation and record. We just wanted to squeeze more in. However, we are not going to chance it. So we will only whale watch. Thanks everyone for the input.

We really want to go off on our own and hike but are too afraid of missing the ship. The independent tour operators we have looked at have a process in place in case u do miss the ship with them. Still a small scary thought but I feel confident with them getting us back in time. Harv and Marv have a great reputation and record. We just wanted to squeeze more in. However, we are not going to chance it. So we will only whale watch. Thanks everyone for the input.

Why aren't you considering just taking cabs, and getting off your ship when it clears? H&M would be AFTER this and as you note, will get you back to the ship in time.

I guess I'm a bit confused to your question. The tour is 4 hours we are in port for 5. We don't have time to go on a hike and a tour with them

It doesn't start at 8:20am?? Sorry if I made the wrong assumption, and it starts earlier.

I see now, so do a small hike at mendanhall then the tour? I'm a newbie so you have to speak err type slowly for me, lol.

Correct, go to Mendenhall FIRST and directly with a cab (will cost you). I detailed above. You then would need to know the EXACT marina of your whale watch, or maybe have them pick you up at McDonalds etc, with you taking a cab there? You do NOT want to come all the way back downtown to join them. You should have enough time to do the Nugget Falls trail, which takes an hour.

Frankly for a 8:20am "tour", involves at least 30 minutes of transfer/loading, from downtown.