I happen to like HAL!

scamper

I find most mainstream lines to be generally the same, overall. When we cruise (once in a while) we have decided that HAL suits us best. We like the smaller size of the ships, which is the number one reason we sail HAL. We dislike the "Giant Behemoth Ships" with 5 or 6 thousand people on them....it is just way too many people IMO.

I was reading another thread where much of the discussion was about HAL having the "bad" reputation of appealing only to those "of a certain age." I like that term!

Well, I can tell you that (now in my mid 50s), I have been a HAL customer since my early 40s and I happen to like having middle and advanced-aged people as my shipmates! They're by and large civilized, gracious, courteous, friendly; many are spritely, energetic, obviously like having a good time, and God Bless them.

I have faith to know when I have booked my next HAL cruise that most all of my shipmates will be good and decent people of all ages who are doing exactly what I am doing, making it the kind of vacation that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Well said and thank you. Every year we get a year older and when that stops happening you know that we are dead. I started in my mid fifties and now I ama in my mid seventies.

Some who are complaining about the older set will be there before one knows if, if they live long enough.

Thanks for the great post! It ruffles my feathers when someone says the average age on a HAL cruise is 70 or 80. TA's should be fined for doing that. I mean, come on folks ... you may have passengers in their 70's and 80's ... but not an average of all ages. Think about the math to get that number.

I'll also never understand when someone takes a 21-day or longer cruise and comes back to complain about the "old people" on the cruise. Except for those independently wealthy, how many "young people" can take those longer cruises? I know my adult children could never get that much time off work at once (exception being school employees off in the summer of course).

It's funny. We were on a 17 day Vancouver - Hawaii - San Diego cruise in September 2011. The Captain made on announcement that we were not able to tender in Maui due to the 12 foot swells. He said his crew were having difficulties scrambling on to the tender so he certainly wasn't going to risk passengers, at an average age of 75. There were only three children on that cruise (the Doctors children).

We have only sailed HAL. First sailed in 2001 and have now achieved 3 star. We are both still working. DH is 53, I'm 59. Like the HAL ships for their size and staff.

Next cruise Panama on the Westerdam. April 15, 2014. :)

Rockfan2

We love HAL and will be taking out 11th cruise soon with them. Like everyone else, we have seen a few downfalls due to cutbacks, but they are not enough to discourage us from cruising. Very relaxing and enjoyable. Glad to see this type of thread. Thanks for starting it.

We just returned from our first HAL cruise 2 days ago. HAL says their average age is 55 overall, and on our specific sailing the average age was 66 (as told to us by a member of the staff). We are in our 40s, and based on the wonderful passengers with whom we interacted, we were definitely among the youngest on our sailing. However, we knew this in advance, and welcomed it for the very reasons the OP pointed out. We found our ship mates to be more civilized, openly friendly, and courteous than the younger set (our age and younger) on other lines. I don't think there was any instance where we waited for an elevator together or passed someone in the hallway without a, "Good morning" or some simple and friendly small chat. It was noticeable and appreciated, and added to our enjoyment of HAL. We will be sailing HAL again, hopefully sooner rather than later (though our friends are now jokingly calling us senior citizens because we enjoyed HAL so much). That's a compliment! ;)

I think most people cruise the cruiseline they are MOST comfortable on - that said, it's up to the consistant cruiser to figure out WHICH line that is, We;ve sailed several lines and never had an "AWFUL" cruise - but I CAN assure you -WE love HAL too AND are the MOST comfortable for MANY reasons. I won't even mention what those reasons are- they aren't anybody else's business. But-YES, we re VERY comfortable on HAL again and again!

Anne

Our first cruise was on HAL - we decided to go to spend time with my recently widowed stepfather, who was travelling with his seniors group from church. What a great group! And there were 3 50-60ish women in the group that would put a 20 year old to shame. Fun loving ladies.

We tried Princess once thinking our teenager would enjoy it more and have more people his age - but he said he preferred HAL as well. He also noticed that the level of service just didn't seem to be there.

I have always found a good mix of ages on a HAL cruise. We've only done 7 day cruises, so that accounts for younger people and families. I have never felt that I was on a floating nursing home. One thing I have noticed is that the children on HAL cruises seem to be very well behaved and it helps to restore my faith that there are parents out there teaching their children to have manners and respect.

:) My wife and I have cruised since the early '90s. Due to some fairly expensive addictions--sleeping with a roof over my head, eating three meals a day, etc.--we were limited to 1 cruise a year because of limited vacation time. But, we've managed to enjoy 18 or 19 cruises, most of them on HAL. But, during those years, we've also cruised Princess, Carnival, RCI, and two other lines that have gone defunct (Commodore and Reagent).

Both of us just recently received our bronze medallions, and booked two more cruises with the onboard cruise consultant. We enjoy the level of service on HAL, and the fact that the cruise staff doesn't bombard you with frivolous announcements over the ship's PA; you're not bowled over by little yard apes running wild through the Lido; you're not disturbed by drunks in the hallways while you're trying to sleep; you're treated with dignity and respect by the staff; you sleep on beds on high-quality linens and truly comfortable mattresses; you don't subsidize a lot of on-board activities that you're not interested in at all (zip lines and climbing walls, anyone?). And, do I really NEED soft-serve ice cream or pizza available 24 hours a day? I don't think so.

I look forward to many more cruising years with HAL, and enjoying their smaller ships.

On our first cruise, we were in our 30's, we have not sailed any one else since. Now that "one of us" (me) turned 60' we still sail HAL. We really don't care about anyone but each other. Dining for 2, a balcony or suite and a cabana. We are in heaven. Cruise = relaxation

While, I think some people consider it a "bad" thing to be labelled as a cruise for older men and women, on a personal level, it really helped me select HAL for our first cruise.

My wife and I will likely be among the youngest if not the youngest on our cruise in late April in the Mediterranean. At 33 and 28, we've never really fit in with our peers as a married couple that doesn't like to party or drink. We have a passion for travel and experiences, and could think of no better way to see as much of Greece as possible than a cruise.

I may be alone, but I hope that HAL never loses its reputation for attracting a more "sophisticated" crowd and I hope that it's reputation for solid service lives up to my own "newbie" expectations. There's no doubt in my mind that we are gonna have a blast crusing with like-minded folks no matter what age we all are. I also have little doubt that we will beat our fellow passengers to bed each night so y'all try to keep it down. :)

PS: I have been using the HAL board on CC as a resource since we first purchased our cruise and have picked up a tremendous amount of knowledge thanks to the search function. I intended to post a heartfelt thank you for helping settle my nerves after our cruise was finished, but I couldn't resist weighing-in on this topic since it seems to be popular and occasionally intended as a derogatory description of HAL.

So there it is; thanks to all who continue to respond and post constructively. Without y'all, I would, be very nervous and probably lost!

While, I think some people consider it a "bad" thing to be labelled as a cruise for older men and women, on a personal level, it really helped me select HAL for our first cruise.

My wife and I will likely be among the youngest if not the youngest on our cruise in late April in the Mediterranean. At 33 and 28, we've never really fit in with our peers as a married couple that doesn't like to party or drink. We have a passion for travel and experiences, and could think of no better way to see as much of Greece as possible than a cruise.

I may be alone, but I hope that HAL never loses its reputation for attracting a more "sophisticated" crowd and I hope that it's reputation for solid service lives up to my own "newbie" expectations.

We were in our late 20s/early 30s when we first cruised on the old Noordam in 1994. We were definitely on the young side of the demographic, but we've always enjoyed a bit of formality and dressing up for dinner. (Shocking in America today, no? ;))

We had a great time then and continue to do so today. When you used the word "sophisticated," it made me smile. That's how we think of it as well. May you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours.

...we also like HAL and have sailed with them six times. We enjoy:

• the size of the ships
  • the overall ambiance
  • the outstanding attentive service
  • the dining
  • the cabins and balconies
  • the entertainment including classical music
  • the itineraries
  • the competitive pricing

Now, if only HAL would get with the program and adopt 21st Century smoking policies!

We like HAL. But we also like other cruise lines. It comes down to ship, itinerary, and price for us. Usually HAL, Princess, and Celebrity are on the short list.

We do not find a great deal of difference between some of the cruise lines...more similarities than differences. They all have strengths and weaknesses based on our personal preferences. If however, you asked us which is the most likely cruise line not to be around in five or ten years we would both say HAL. HAL seems more than a little mixed up at the moment.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I have done 14 cruises, the last 9 have been on HAL. We are happy and have no thoughts or need to go to any other line, have they all been perfect no, but any problems have only been an inconvience and I think the front desk has always been pleasant and did the best they could. I try to remember where we are and that I have had to wait days or more for plumbers and electricians at home on dry land.

I read many post and some times end up with more questions then before. I am very lucky to have a friendly neighbor close by that is a very active member on this board. I have asked many question and received many responses both good and bad and have found them all to be very open honest and helpful. I don't know if I should identify or not but, I will know after this post.

Thank you neighbor.