Beaches / Snacks / Umbrellas / Drinks / Waves

Funcouple

You'll have to define 'decent waves'. Not a lot of surfing in Bermuda.

Horseshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay, Shelley Bay, Snorkel Park all come to mind for amenities. Horseshoe Bay will have higher waves than the other three, but on some days that still might mean waves of 1-2 feet. Usually the waves are 2-3 feet at Horseshoe as they hit the shore.

Swizzle, thanks for the input. I suppose any waves large enough to sink your feet into the sand if you stand in one spot long enough would suffice. Not really interested surfing. Listening to the sound of the surf is always refreshing though. Mild "body surfing" would be nice, although not necessary.

Can you get swizzles out on any of the beaches?

The guys in my group can tell you that the best 'body surfing waves" are at horseshoe.

They are constantly body surfing when we go to the beach.

Enough that they tend to get rashes on their chests.

Make sure you bring plenty of extra swimtrunks, because the sand doesnt wash out. ;)

Here is a quick upload for you to see these not so little kids.:D

105521316.jpg

105521328.jpg

We just returned from Bermuda yesterday. The biggest waves were at Warwick Long Bay. It was extremely rough though, and we kept getting swept off of our feet, even in knee deep water. It had us exhausted after a half hour. Horseshoe Beach's waves were pretty tame in comparison.

Can you get swizzles out on any of the beaches?

Hmmmmm, beaches owned by resorts generally do. Elbow beach, Grotto Bay, Arial Sands and Pink Beach Club definately have bars near the beach so I'm sure a swizzle would be available there. Now that I think about it maybe swizzles are available at Tobacco Bay or Snorkel Park but I've never tried to order one. Otherwise I don't think they are available at the other public beaches such as Horseshoe.

Which resorts / hotels allow non guests to use the beach and the beach services? If they don't "allow" non guests on, then how about hotels / resorts where you could easily walk in and use the facilities?

Resorts don't have a problem with people coming in and wandering around. They will gladly let you buy drinks at the bars or eat at their restaurants. The only time I know of that you may be asked for proof that you are a guest is if you're trying to use the private beach and the facilities. Since the main hotel is usually a ways away from their private beach, this makes it easier for them to limit their beaches to guests while allowing non-guests access to the hotel.

Someone posted recently that one resort (Elbow? Wyndham?) allowed non-guests to use their private beach at a cost of something like $50 per person. With all of the public beaches available I've never bothered. I'm sure the other resorts have similar schemes available.

Elbow Beach has both a public and private section so you could set up in the public section, then go to their beach bar (Mickeys) and buy a swizzle. Not sure if you can take it from the bar though, it will probably be served in a glass.

I recently emailed Elbow Beach hotel and asked if I could pay to "rent" their private beach and facilities for the day, as I will be arriving to Bermuda on a cruiseship. They politely declined to let me use the beach, but said I was welcome to come in and eat in their restaurants. Oh well. I wanted the use of the beach and chairs and maybe even the pool.

I paid 50.00 per person (what many shore excursions cost) at the Wyndham this past week. It was a beautiful water park and lagoon type beach without waves, great and worth every penny if you have children. You get an abundance of brand new lounge chairs. Nice clean towels, fresh water showers, changing rooms and bathrooms that are new and clean! They have a restaurant and they gave us a shuttle to the bus stop, it is tough to push a stroller up a steep long hill after a great fun active day! The day before we went to Tobacco and Forth ST Catherine. I would not allow my daughters into the bathroom, so gross and disgusting. Many on our cruise agreed those two particular public beaches were not up to par and I would not return to them. I guess it all depends what you are used to.

Archived