Staying Connected

derekmcsd

We are sailing on the JOS next month and I am trying to find the cheapest way to stay connected using my iPhone. We have a one year old at home and would like to receive daily photos of her and also know how she is doing with her grandparents. My phone is through Verizon. My question is: is it better to pay for the $30 global package or use wifi on the ship? Also if I purchase the global should I turn off iMessages or leave it on? We normally like to toss out phones in the stateroom safe and forget about them this time is a little bit different. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree with CigarKing, it looks like you are in a port nearly every day. Do your research and find out where the closest wifi is in those ports. Sometimes, the terminals have free wifi or there will surely be a coffee shop/café nearby.

We are sailing on the JOS next month and I am trying to find the cheapest way to stay connected using my iPhone. We have a one year old at home and would like to receive daily photos of her and also know how she is doing with her grandparents. My phone is through Verizon. My question is: is it better to pay for the $30 global package or use wifi on the ship? Also if I purchase the global should I turn off iMessages or leave it on? We normally like to toss out phones in the stateroom safe and forget about them this time is a little bit different. Any help would be appreciated.

We recently (Nov. '13) cruised on RCI with our verizon phones and we didn't pay any upfront charge for Global services on the ship. Verizon enabled our 2 phones for cruise ship roaming and we paid $2.49 per minute for calls, $.50 per text sent, and $.05 per text received. So we only paid for the service we used. It was great to know that if something was happening back home people could get hold of us.