Moderno

coyboy1971

As luck would have it, ate at Moderno on the last night of our cruise on the Jewel. It was fabulous!

Chose one of the four good Malbecs offered on the wine list and dove in.

By far the most delicious beef choice was the PICANHA, which was crispy on the outside, juiced and med. rare on the inside. Wow. The bacon wrapped chicken was also a surprise. All the meats were good...the lamb chops were cooked to order and better than I've had in Cagney's.

Salad bar was top notch. I sampled the hearts of Palm salad, the chorizo potato salad, the roasted peppers, and some assorted cold cuts. Two soups offered, too.

All four sides are brought out family style.

Like other Brazilian steakhouses, they will keep coming around in rotation until you turn your medallion to red. The maître'd, the assistant hotel director, and the F&B director all stopped by to ask what our favorite selection was. Every time we said "PICANHA" they would wave down a server and more would arrive. I swear, we had to say "red means stop" when they came around yet again.

The mango rice pudding was awesome for dessert...the coconut flan was good, but not special.

I highly recommend this... Don't wait til your last night!

Edited by coyboy1971

But did you eat the brown sugar coated banana? I thought the beans were excellent, but I passed on the garlic mashed potatoes and rice......just too much great meat!!!

David

P.S. It was so good that I ate at Moderno twice in four nights. Cagney's was great, also and neither restaurant pushed you to get done.

But did you eat the brown sugar coated banana? I thought the beans were excellent, but I passed on the garlic mashed potatoes and rice......just too much great meat!!!

David

P.S. It was so good that I ate at Moderno twice in four nights. Cagney's was great, also and neither restaurant pushed you to get done.

I kind of forgot about the sides being there until the end...lol. Like you said, the meat was the star.

You're right...no rush to turn the table. As a matter of fact, when we showed up with no reservation because the sign board said "green = plenty of tables" the hostess gave us a hard time about not having a reservation. I showed my Haven key card and suddenly she was all "right this way!" The restaurant was never more than 50% full while we were there. This was the only night of our cruise we did not make a reservation because we thought we'd try one of the MDRs, but they both had 30 min waits. I guess they don't want to overbook, but it seemed funny, especially with a green light on the sign for every seating that night.

David

We are planning on two nights for Moderno for our upcoming Jewel cruise. It is our favorite, love the Salad Bar and the Bananas and the Pineapple carved at the table are pretty darn good :)

We pass on all the starchy food too ;)

Every time i ate at moderno i totally enjoyed it

Didn't eat too much at the salad bar because i wanted to save room for the delicious meat

I think they need to step it up on the desserts

Limited selection and I think they need ice cream

You can get ice cream, just ask! When we went on the Gem in January, we asked them to cut up the whole pineapple for the table & bring us some vanilla ice cream. That was dessert. Divine.

OMG!! That pineapple with ice cream sounds amazing.... what a GREAT idea. I can never get them to give me enough pineapple...... I would skip everything just for that.

Whoa whoa!!! Let's not get crazy now! :D

Moderno is my top Specialty second only to Le Bistro (have to stick to the NCL original). Had Moderno on the Jewel when the added the restaurant to the fleet. My group of 9 dined on the Gem for the CTN this month and we had a great time! The meat was cooked to perfection. Now this isn't a criticism, but more of a comment on my aging tastebuds...it seemed that the meats all tasted like they were seasoned with McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning this time around. It was weird. I mean I loved every portion that was carved for me. And truth be told...I was only looking at an empty plate...a testiment to staying ahead of the gauchos! :D The card was never "red".

NCL SUGGESTION BOX: as an appetizer, can you add Coração de Frango Temperado (chicken hearts) as a rhodizio item? many rhodizio places that i've been too have this choice.

weird question. I know.. I want to try Moderno but my daughter is a vegitarian (she eats dairy, eggs etc). Does the salad/sides have many non meat choices?

Some have expressed they'd simply dine there for the pineapple! :D

In seriousness, the salad bar has some non-meat options. Here is the only photo i took of the Moderno salad bar from the Jewel in 2012.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oP9CIPur-5J1aQi2qXEqSsZf_zfoi9N0GqKskw6Pi4Q?feat=directlink

Edited by ZoneHPH

weird question. I know.. I want to try Moderno but my daughter is a vegitarian (she eats dairy, eggs etc). Does the salad/sides have many non meat choices?

On the Epic, yes. On the Jewel they have a smaller salad bar with fewer choices. I would not eat there as a vegetarian. It really is all about the meat.

As luck would have it, ate at Moderno on the last night of our cruise on the Jewel. It was fabulous!

Chose one of the four good Malbecs offered on the wine list and dove in.

By far the most delicious beef choice was the PICANHA, which was crispy on the outside, juiced and med. rare on the inside. Wow. The bacon wrapped chicken was also a surprise. All the meats were good...the lamb chops were cooked to order and better than I've had in Cagney's.

Salad bar was top notch. I sampled the hearts of Palm salad, the chorizo potato salad, the roasted peppers, and some assorted cold cuts. Two soups offered, too.

All four sides are brought out family style.

Like other Brazilian steakhouses, they will keep coming around in rotation until you turn your medallion to red. The maître'd, the assistant hotel director, and the F&B director all stopped by to ask what our favorite selection was. Every time we said "PICANHA" they would wave down a server and more would arrive. I swear, we had to say "red means stop" when they came around yet again.

The mango rice pudding was awesome for dessert...the coconut flan was good, but not special.

I highly recommend this... Don't wait til your last night!

Glad you had a great experience! Ours has been the opposite but might be willing to try again.