Service Level Concern

FlKittyKat

I have read several reviews discussing the level of service provided by the wait staff, bartenders, etc. and now am worried I need to prepare myself for confrontations and/or disappointments while on NCL. We enjoy embarkation lunch in a MDR opposed to the buffet and have read that is difficult on NCL. We also tend to shy away from the specialty restaurants, but it seems that the waitstaff does not encourage dining in the MDR.

Bit of background: We are experienced cruises, first time on NCL. We both work in the hospitality industry, knowing what to expect as far as service goes and know the challenges that come along with the job.

Am I worrying for nothing and making a mountain out of a mole hill?

You're worrying about nothing. I've had absolutely no problem having lunch in the MDR on embarkation day and the service level is top-notch. It's possible that a crew member might want to direct you to the buffet, but you can easily ignore the suggestion and simply proceed to the MDR.

All I can say is that I have a happy smile on my face from the time I board an NCL cruise until I have to leave...then I'm crying of course. And, my happy face is mostly due to the wonderful staff and crew that are constantly smiling and trying to make my cruise as nice as possible. I do keep in mind that I'm not the only guest on the ship that they must take care of and don't expect to be treated like royalty all the time.

I have read several reviews discussing the level of service provided by the wait staff, bartenders, etc. and now am worried I need to prepare myself for confrontations and/or disappointments while on NCL. We enjoy embarkation lunch in a MDR opposed to the buffet and have read that is difficult on NCL. We also tend to shy away from the specialty restaurants, but it seems that the waitstaff does not encourage dining in the MDR.

Bit of background: We are experienced cruises, first time on NCL. We both work in the hospitality industry, knowing what to expect as far as service goes and know the challenges that come along with the job.

Is your vacation going to be ruined if the service isn't flawless? If not, then who cares? When I have an issue with service, I'm usually over it about 2 minutes later.

I think people who are "prepared" for poor service are more likely to notice poor service. Why someone would even think about it before a cruise makes no sense to me.

Definitely yes. Especially since you're not going on a overcrowded megaship. Only major service problems we've had in MDR have been on Epic where we had clearly unexperienced waitresses with too large workload during lunch time. No mentionable problems (at least large enough that I'd still remember them) on other cruises.

Definitely making a mountain. Yes it is possible to have a waiter at one meal having a bad day but the good news you are not stuck with them the whole cruise. You most likely we have different wait staff at every meal. If you find one you really like request to be seated at their station when you return. Enjoy your cruise don't worry be happy. :D

Is your vacation going to be ruined if the service isn't flawless? If not, then who cares? When I have an issue with service, I'm usually over it about 2 minutes later.

I think people who are "prepared" for poor service are more likely to notice poor service. Why someone would even think about it before a cruise makes no sense to me.

Thanks for grounding me. You are right, my trip will not be ruined by poor service and before too long I am over it. I am a planner and just want this trip to be perfect as it is my hubby's birthday.

While we do have high expectations, we also know that everyone has an off day and I usually hope their day gets better. As I hope your day get better.

You won't be pressured away from the MDR by the employees. They don't care if you eat in the MDR or not. The one exception is on embarkation day. On that day I am pretty sure the employees are instructed to push, push, push everyone up to the buffet. Just pay attention, you won't hear one employee suggesting you eat lunch in the MDR....but you will hear 100 times how you can get up to the buffet for lunch on embarkation!!

There are major service issues on all the ships in the MDR. We could list them here but the same basic bad service issues have been going on fleet wide since Freestyle was created probably 10 years ago. You have to accept that or eat in the specialty restaurants or the buffet.

Here is a tip on embarkation day. You will be herded like cattle up to the buffet on embarkation unless you insist that you want to eat in the main dining room. This is the one meal all week that they do try hard to keep you out of the main dining room. Other than that one meal, NCL doesn't specifically try to keep you out of the main dining rooms.

My theory is that they instruct their employees to "encourage" all passengers to the buffet instead of the MDR on embarkation day. My theory is that the reason they do this is to have some data to take back to corporate that says..."hey, there is very low interest in lunch in the MDR on embarkation, see look how few meals we serve in the MDR on embarkation.....lets close the MDR and save money on staff for that meal". So the employees are instructed to herd you up to the buffet to intentionally keep you from the MDR. Otherwise, wouldn't one employee along the way not herd you up to the buffet?!

Then you have to focus on the things NCL does well. The other lines have NCL beat by a mile on the food but NCL has better entertainment, much better suites and VIP things, the ships are decorated fun and funky, young and hip. Focus on what NCL does well.

Then you take the cheerleader attitude which is either...."food is subjective" (good food isn't subjective!!) or the other favorite is....."Well, as long as I'm not cooking I'm happy".......(really?)

Thanks everyone for talking me off the worry ledge and bringing me back to normal. I sort of knew I was creating a mountain, and your words of wisdom helped me down.

Now, I will now focus on the fun and relaxation we have in our near future. Thanks again!

Just got off Epic , service was great start to finish in my opinion. We had lunch at Taste right after boarding as as has been our tradition( 3 cruises) ,

was quick , easy and tasty. Love the portobello mushroom appetizer.

There are major service issues on all the ships in the MDR. We could list them here but the same basic bad service issues have been going on fleet wide since Freestyle was created probably 10 years ago. You have to accept that or eat in the specialty restaurants or the buffet.

Sorry you feel that way, but that hasn't been my experience on NCL at all and I've been cruising on them both before and after Freestyle was introduced. "Major" service issues? Never (at least for me). An occasional issue, yes, but nothing that has ever come close to ruining a meal (let alone a cruise) for me.

Are there specific times the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day? We will not even arrive to the port in Whittier until 3:45pm from our shuttle. The Sun is not scheduled to leave port until 9pm.

Yes, all MDRs have specific times posted for all meals. The Freestyle Daily will list the times. 3:45 is definitely too late for an MDR lunch.

Thanks for grounding me. You are right, my trip will not be ruined by poor service and before too long I am over it. I am a planner and just want this trip to be perfect as it is my hubby's birthday.

While we do have high expectations, we also know that everyone has an off day and I usually hope their day gets better. As I hope your day get better.

What a fun birthday it will be!! I know you want it to be perfect, but realize it won't be. Nothing is perfect, so don't set yourself up for disappointment. Being a planner will help make it an awesome experience! (but not perfect):)

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago and the service was just fine. Though my expectations may be significantly lower than someone from the hospitality business.

We ate lunch in the MDR on embarkation day and it went flawlessly. We don't order drinks in the MDR except wine on one night, as it seems all the cruise lines are SLOW with drinks in the MDR.

If I ever find a ship with slow or poor service in the MDR, I just plan around it. You will find that the buffet can often have as good, if not better, food than the MDR, and on the Jewel this was often true.

Yes, all MDRs have specific times posted for all meals. The Freestyle Daily will list the times. 3:45 is definitely too late for an MDR lunch.

Also it depends on the ship and F&B director (or team) onboard but MDRs are usually open for lunch only on sea days.

My husband is a retired VP whose entire career was in the hospitality industry. Yes it can make him particular about certain issues, but also understanding about others. We had no problems having lunch in the MDR on embark day, and no problems with dinner service but we eat early. We now cruise in suites and love that. We had an exceptional time on the Dawn in Nov. as he got to know the Exec Sous Chef and the Exec Chef well. If you prepare for confrontation you will have it, if you act like a pro even if there should be a problem, then you will have a wonderful time.

... We enjoy embarkation lunch in a MDR opposed to the buffet and have read that is difficult on NCL. ...but it seems that the waitstaff does not encourage dining in the MDR.... Am I worrying for nothing and making a mountain out of a mole hill?

How do they make it difficult? You simply go to the MDR instead of the buffet and ask for a table, they seat you and you order what you want.

Not sure why the wait staff would care where anyone eats. We have been to both specialty restaurants and MDR and found the service was fine in both. It is what you make of it and similar to a land restaurant. You can't show up with a party of 10 at 6:30pm, expect to be seated right away and be done eating in 1/2 an hour.

Yes worrying for nothing and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Edited by PCLMassachusetts