Transfer from Piazzale Roma, Venice to port

Ewoodspark

I have been able to establish that you can board an express shuttle bus at Marco Polo airport in Venice that goes straight to Piazzale Roma in the centre of Venice. I know that the People Mover can then take you to Marittima cruise terminal or Tronchetto. Can anybody please advise which cruise terminal the Norwegian Jade uses.

Also do NCL run any shuttle buses from the port to and from Piazzale Roma.

I have sent an E-mail to NCL but not received any reply (as yet)

I have been able to establish that you can board an express shuttle bus at Marco Polo airport in Venice that goes straight to Piazzale Roma in the centre of Venice. I know that the People Mover can then take you to Marittima cruise terminal or Tronchetto. Can anybody please advise which cruise terminal the Norwegian Jade uses.

Also do NCL run any shuttle buses from the port to and from Piazzale Roma.

I have sent an E-mail to NCL but not received any reply (as yet)

The Jade uses Marittima.

Shuttle buses are hit and miss. I have been there when they ran...and when they didn't.

People Mover works...but with a lot of luggage and/or people... a cab from Piazzale Roma is ~20 Eu.

The Jade uses Marittima.

Shuttle buses are hit and miss. I have been there when they ran...and when they didn't.

People Mover works...but with a lot of luggage and/or people... a cab from Piazzale Roma is ~20 Eu.

Thanks for that. Where do the cabs say from Piazzale Roma actually go to? Do they go just to the dock gates or do they have access into the area where the terminal building for checking in are . €20 for a cab when it is just round the corner from Piazzale Roma sounds quite high but I suppose that is Venice prices for you

The shuttle to the port is more miss than hit.

Take the People Mover. It is on the NW corner of the Piazzale. You will have to walk with your luggage for about a quarter mile to the terminal.

If you take a taxi, they will be very unhappy with you, since it takes them off the queue and they won't get much to take you to the terminal.

Thanks for that. Where do the cabs say from Piazzale Roma actually go to? Do they go just to the dock gates or do they have access into the area where the terminal building for checking in are . €20 for a cab when it is just round the corner from Piazzale Roma sounds quite high but I suppose that is Venice prices for you

They will take you right to the luggage drop-off point.

I think the trip to the port is a regulated flat fee.

€20? With a few people and assorted baggage, it is a bargain not to schlep all that gear from P. Roma. You're on vacation, remember? :p

If you take a taxi, they will be very unhappy with you, since it takes them off the queue and they won't get much to take you to the terminal.

I disagree. 20 euros (it's fixed price) from Piazzale Roma to port is much better fare than 45 euros (also fixed price) from Piazzale Roma to the airport that is much further away compared to the price. They are much faster back to the queue and when we took taxi from Piazzale Roma, there weren't too many waiting there to begin with. We never had anything but top notch and friendly service and no visible dissatisfaction about the short fare - they do get more than enough money for the short trip.

I too recommend using the taxi, especially during hot summer season. There is about a half mile walk (measured it from Google Maps satellite image after we got back since I couldn't believe how far the People Mover stop actually was) from the people mover to the terminal that NCL normally uses and splurging 20 euros to the short taxi ride to bypass the hassle of people mover and the long walk at the port was one of the best decisions we made in Venice. Taxi takes you directly to the terminal so you pretty much get out of the car, give your checked luggage to the porters and step inside the terminal building. Easy peasy and totally worth the money IMO.

Edited by Demonyte

Get public bus from the airport to the port as bus stops right outside the airport and Venice terminus is within easy walking distance to the port (bus goes right past as it comes into terminus) though some cruise lines also offer a free bus as well from the bus terminus to the port. Bus journey time 25 mins or so and approx 2 euros against taxi fare of c30 euros each way, and cruise line coach price of c20 euros each.

Can anybody confirm if they have done the above and if it works OK

Get public bus from the airport to the port as bus stops right outside the airport and Venice terminus is within easy walking distance to the port (bus goes right past as it comes into terminus) though some cruise lines also offer a free bus as well from the bus terminus to the port. Bus journey time 25 mins or so and approx 2 euros against taxi fare of c30 euros each way, and cruise line coach price of c20 euros each.

Can anybody confirm if they have done the above and if it works OK

The Aerobus (bus #5) from airport to Piazzale Roma is 6 euros pp one way (there is also a return ticket that costs 11 euros available, but it is valid only 75 minutes from the validation, so you can't use it before and after cruise).

Also as I said in my previous post, last summer the taxi between airport and Piazzale Roma was 45 euros, not 30 euros like your quote says.

So, the text is clearly so old that the People Mover didn't even exist when that was written. The "easy walking distance" from Piazzale Roma (bus terminus in the text) is at least a mile, depending on the terminal used. Now that the People Mover (1 euro pp) is there, the walking distance has been cut in half.

• 2 months later...

We booked a private car service, 40 Euro, from the airport and you get dropped off right at the doors to the cruise terminal. Easiest way to go as it's a loooong walk from where the people mover is to the actual terminal. Fine without luggage but wouldn't want to do it hauling bags.

http://venice.airports-shuttle.com/

We will be sailing out of Venice for the third time this year. Last year we took the people mover (€1 per person). There is quite a long walk when you get off but, last year, there were free buses running from the people mover station to the luggage drop off point. We actually walked but the bus will probably be an option.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to revive this if I may with a couple of questions.

We are on the Jade Greek cruise ex-Venice 4 October. We will be travelling from Milan to Venice S.L. by high-speed train, arriving 3.10 pm.

Since the Jade sails at 6.00 pm, and my paperwork says we have to be onboard an hour before, I thought we'd be fine.

BUT ... website says we have to be on board TWO hours before; i.e. 4.00 pm. Now we're starting to get worried.

Our plan is to get off the train, take the people mover, and walk (all 4 of us are pretty fit, even if "ancient", with full mobility) to the terminal.

To those who've done it before, is it feasible in the time? Once we get to the port, where do we go? To a central point or to the ship's berthing terminal? How do we know where the ship is (apart from eyeballing them all)?

We really don't want to mess around with vaporettos and water taxis are horrendously priced.

Is a taxi from Piazzale Roma worth it? Are they easily accessible or is it a case of queue up and wait forever?

Lots of questions, I know, and I apologise. I wouldn't have worried if we hadn't been forced to cut it so fine. (No, we can't get an earlier train, it's booked out; in any case, there is no refund on our present tickets, so that would be $200 down the gurgler.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

You will probably be fine if you arrive on time. The hardest part will be transferring your luggage from the train station to the Piazza Roma. The walk is about 20 minutes and then the people

Mover and walk are another 20 minutes. If you are worried about the time when you arrive, walk to the piazza Roma and take a cab for $20 to the port.

I'd like to revive this if I may with a couple of questions.

Our plan is to get off the train, take the people mover, and walk (all 4 of us are pretty fit, even if "ancient", with full mobility) to the terminal.

To those who've done it before, is it feasible in the time? Once we get to the port, where do we go? To a central point or to the ship's berthing terminal? How do we know where the ship is (apart from eyeballing them all)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

We took the Jade from Venice in June and the luggage drop and check-in was not at a central point but rather in the ship's individual berthing terminal. There was some temporary signage up for each ship in port. I don't know if the Jade always uses the same terminal at Marittima or if it changes based on ship traffic, but we departed from and returned to the same berth: the second berth from the Port Entrance gates near where the People Mover drops off. (This is the empty berth in the foreground of the photo below which the Jade [not visible in the photo] is about to enter.)

You might also get a little sense of the distance from the People Mover to the terminal building in the photo in which you can see the People Mover tracks in the distant background to the left of the other ship (Splendour of the Seas).

(Our review is at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070831)

Venice+Port+Berth.jpg

Enjoy your trip! We had a blast.

You will probably be fine if you arrive on time. The hardest part will be transferring your luggage from the train station to the Piazza Roma. The walk is about 20 minutes and then the people

Mover and walk are another 20 minutes. If you are worried about the time when you arrive, walk to the piazza Roma and take a cab for $20 to the port.

We are also arriving by train. Can we just take a taxi from the train station to the cruise ship?

We are also arriving by train. Can we just take a taxi from the train station to the cruise ship?

If you're arriving at the Venice Santa Lucia Train Station, the closest land taxi pick up is at the Piazzale Roma, a short walk and pedestrian bridge crossing away. Alternatively you can take a vaporetto the one stop from the Santa Lucia Station to Piazzale Roma as well.

There is no car traffic on the island that the rail station is located - just like most other islands in Venice.

As said, you will need to haul your belongings to Piazzale Roma OR get off the train already in Mestre (if possible) and take much longer taxi drive from there.

The bridge from the station to P Roma is a very large humpback bridge with steps. I wouldn't fancy carrying or dragging a lot of luggage over it.

On the people mover, the lift at P Roma has been broken for some time, so you need to take your luggage on the escalator. However the escalators at both P Roma and the port are frequently being repaired. If the escalators are out, then you need to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs.