For those with celiac's or severe gluten intolerances

I'm not disputing that the OP actually has gluten problems ...

but ... IMHO part of the problem getting gluten free "stuff" may be that there are many, many folks who claim they need to be gluten free when actually they're getting on a diet fad bandwagon. I've seen numerous sources that say a gluten free diet is a quick way to lose weight. For that reason some institutions may not take issues like cross-contamination as serious as they might for a true medical need.

but ... IMHO part of the problem getting gluten free "stuff" may be that there are many, many folks who claim they need to be gluten free when actually they're getting on a diet fad bandwagon. I've seen numerous sources that say a gluten free diet is a quick way to lose weight. For that reason some institutions may not take issues like cross-contamination as serious as they might for a true medical need.

Another reason why I think JuliaMS had a great suggestion - don't tell them (whether cruise ship, restaurant or what) that you want "gluten free", tell them that you have a gluten allergy - that makes the point more clearly and forcefully and hopefully makes them take it seriously.

I've also seen people who say things like, "I'm gluten free....except for <my favorite cookies>."

I've seen people with genuine milk or gluten allergies and people whose symptoms of IBD improved dramatically when they eliminated gluten. It can be a real problem. But the people who just assume "Oh this is what the health conscious people are doing" certainly aren't doing the people with real problems any favors.

This will be my first cruise since having to eliminate Gluten. The cruise is less intimidating to me then going on a "regular" vacation and eating out in different restaurants every night.

I am pretty new to this, about a year, but I have found a better response in restaurants when I say I have a "gluten allergy". Food allergy is a significant concern in restaurants and most have some training for it. If I simply ask for a GF menu or a list of GF foods they think it's just a lifestyle choice and cross contamination is more likely. I started doing that after a server at Cheesecake Factory asked me if it was an allergy or a choice. She said for an allergy it would be prepared in a different part of the kitchen with precautions - if it is a choice they cook it on the regular line, the GF pasta will likely be cooked in a pan that just cooked regular pasta.

What are your favorite GF items available on the ship? Best dessert? is anything terrible?

Too true about the allergy thing but I don't like to lie. If I don't get a good feeling that the people are taking it seriously I don't eat. Honestly, I make it pretty clear how sick I get on gluten.

The best things that I found that were GF were the cookies available in the cafe promenade. Those things were seriously yummy. And in a package too, so no worries. I don't know what to tell you about the food. I posted this thread as a warning. If you get sick, I would be very careful. If it was me I would have a plain meat and veg and baked potato. But that kind of sucks. Bring your own food for snacks, maybe?

Yes and no, the great thing about the bandwagon is that there are so many many packaged choices. I can get GF cookies from the grocery store!!!! It used to be I would have to buy a mix and the resulting cookies tasted yucky.

I have found restaurants way more attentive in the last year or two. And they usually take it seriously when I tell them about my gluten intolerance. I guess they might take it more seriously if I lied and told them I was allergic. But I won't. Even people with celiac's don't have a gluten allergy. My condition is serious and it causes a great deal of pain and I just tell them that.

I guess they might take it more seriously if I lied and told them I was allergic. But I won't. Even people with celiac's don't have a gluten allergy. My condition is serious and it causes a great deal of pain and I just tell them that.

I honestly wouldn't call that a lie. It's just a shortcut to help them to understand that in your case, the condition is such that even trace amounts of gluten can cause severe reactions. As Julia said, they know of OTHER allergies like peanuts and other things with similar reactions - and they know how serious the reactions are and how careful they therefore must be. You need them to take your condition with the same degree of seriousness and carefulness in preparation - so you can take 15 seconds to tell them you're allergic to gluten or you can launch into a 5 minute explanation of the true medical condition, which isn't truly an allergy but in practice amounts to about the same thing as far as what it requires from their kitchen.

Yes and no, the great thing about the bandwagon is that there are so many many packaged choices. I can get GF cookies from the grocery store!!!! It used to be I would have to buy a mix and the resulting cookies tasted yucky.

I have found restaurants way more attentive in the last year or two. And they usually take it seriously when I tell them about my gluten intolerance. I guess they might take it more seriously if I lied and told them I was allergic. But I won't. Even people with celiac's don't have a gluten allergy. My condition is serious and it causes a great deal of pain and I just tell them that.

There is no need to lie, that is crazy for anyone to even suggest that. Whether you are allergic or intolerant, they should have been able to help you. You do not need to go into a long explanation, they should know better.

I would also be very hesitant to listen to one of the servers behind the buffet in the WJ as opposed to the Head Chef. The language barrier with some of the WJ servers is a major issue. There were two servers on the Freedom telling everyone that the freestyle machines weren't working, they even put a plastic cup and said see, no work. It was amazing when you put a freestyle cup on the machine, it worked perfectly, RFID chips are amazing things.:rolleyes:

I hope you give it another try again sometime. We had a galley tour on our Freedom cruise and they talked a lot about meeting all the special needs of all passengers and crew. They showed us the gluten free kitchen, with all the equipment that is only allowed to be used in that area. They really seemed to be trying to help.

There is no need to lie, that is crazy for anyone to even suggest that. Whether you are allergic or intolerant, they should have been able to help you. You do not need to go into a long explanation, they should know better.

I would also be very hesitant to listen to one of the servers behind the buffet in the WJ as opposed to the Head Chef. The language barrier with some of the WJ servers is a major issue. There were two servers on the Freedom telling everyone that the freestyle machines weren't working, they even put a plastic cup and said see, no work. It was amazing when you put a freestyle cup on the machine, it worked perfectly, RFID chips are amazing things.:rolleyes:

I hope you give it another try again sometime. We had a galley tour on our Freedom cruise and they talked a lot about meeting all the special needs of all passengers and crew. They showed us the gluten free kitchen, with all the equipment that is only allowed to be used in that area. They really seemed to be trying to help.

I do believe the guy behind the counter saved me from another glutening. The head chef told me that the potatoes and veggies were okay and the guy behind the counter told me they were contaminated. When I told the head chef he muttered under his breath and apologized. I'm sure that there was supposed to be a certain procedure followed and it wasn't for one reason or another. I am so thankful for the guy behind the counter, I'm sure he got a talking to for his audacity (for telling me or for not following procedures or whatever happened)

I honestly wouldn't call that a lie. It's just a shortcut to help them to understand that in your case, the condition is such that even trace amounts of gluten can cause severe reactions. As Julia said, they know of OTHER allergies like peanuts and other things with similar reactions - and they know how serious the reactions are and how careful they therefore must be. You need them to take your condition with the same degree of seriousness and carefulness in preparation - so you can take 15 seconds to tell them you're allergic to gluten or you can launch into a 5 minute explanation of the true medical condition, which isn't truly an allergy but in practice amounts to about the same thing as far as what it requires from their kitchen.

That's what my family says. They tell me it is just easier to say it's an allergy, but I am kind of a black and white sort of person and it just gets stupid when I try to lie (I used to be able to do it well when I was a teen =) ). When I try to lie I mess it up turn red and make other people more confused. Doesn't really make anything easier. But my family readily tells others that it is an allergy =)

That's what my family says. They tell me it is just easier to say it's an allergy, but I am kind of a black and white sort of person and it just gets stupid when I try to lie (I used to be able to do it well when I was a teen =) ). When I try to lie I mess it up turn red and make other people more confused. Doesn't really make anything easier. But my family readily tells others that it is an allergy =)

I guess I'd say that would be about the most innocent "lie" possible. Actually, kind of similar to a "lie" that I use as I think about it. I'm in the computer field, and occasionally am asked to explain how the various pieces inside a computer work together. If I went into detail, it would take way too long, bore them totally and they probably wouldn't understand anyway. So I simplify and streamline the explanation a little, and from a STRICT technical perspective, a fellow engineer would say I was wrong. I honestly don't really think of that a lie, rather a simplification for the non-technical. I'd argue you'd be doing exactly the same thing by saying you have a gluten allergy, and I'd be willing to bet the staff at a typical restaurant would much prefer you say that then launch into the more complicated, REAL explanation which is not technically an allergy. All they need to know is how careful they need to make sure your food is prepared - and the less time you can take effectively communicating that to them so they can continue with their tasks, the better.

I have been told by Doctors I must follow a gluten free diet. I had positive titers on my gluten blood tests. In the past I did not feel good on many foods due to food allergies. Does this mean a follow a gluten free diet all the time? I cheat about once or twice a month. I get a stomach ache and sick when I cheat... but sometimes it is worth it! One thing I don't like is being judged for my choices.... It is a hard diet to follow all the time even it your are told you must......

I have been told by Doctors I must follow a gluten free diet. I had positive titers on my gluten blood tests. In the past I did not feel good on many foods due to food allergies. Does this mean a follow a gluten free diet all the time? I cheat about once or twice a month. I get a stomach ache and sick when I cheat... but sometimes it is worth it! One thing I don't like is being judged for my choices.... It is a hard diet to follow all the time even it your are told you must......

Here's the thing, and it is really hard to hear and even harder to follow the advice. Every time you eat gluten (with celiac's which you might/probably have) you are poisoning your body. It won't cause you to die today or tomorrow but eating gluten when you have celiac's shortens life span considerably. Lymphoma and other cancer's are more common among those with celiac's and even higher with non compliance.

Here is the unvarnished cold hard truth: Gluten is killing you.

It sucks, I know. GF food is better than it was but it ain't good. But you need to get a handle on this. You are worth the time and the effort to eat safely.

I eat GF foods due to an intolerance and I think they're tasty! I eat more whole foods than anything else though. I rarely eat "gluten free" foods...I eat mostly foods that just are gluten free.

Now, when we go on our cruise, that will become more of an issue because I won't be preparing my own foods...I foresee a lot of cheese and fruit for breakfast...

Thanks for the heads up...Hopefully they have it together on the Oasis :rolleyes:

Umm... Okay... Not sure exactly what to make of that? :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I'm not the OP, but I have gluten allergies (along with milk and a few other things). I think what they meant was:

Gluten free foods = things that normally would have gluten but are made with gluten free flour. Like gluten free bread or cookies.

Foods that are gluten free = don't have gluten in them naturally. Like fruit, veggies, meat, rice, etc.

I just came off Adventure and had no problem getting GF food....just had to ask. They have a tasty potato bread which I had in place of rolls at supper. Heads up though-they toast not so good. I also had a standing order with the MDR and WJ which my server placed so that I just had to ask for GF pancakes and they were made fresh right then.

I also was shown the next night menu in advance, although my order really didn't change much since I don't like red meat or seafood. I lived on salad and grilled chicken. :D

They also have a selection of GF pasta and rolls-but you do need to ask in advance. They will also make the potatoes special if you ask the night before. (They are cooked on their own from the main batch).

I did snap a pic from the Galley Tour of the GF display....however the cord to upload the pictures from my camera was packed into the bag....that somehow missed my flight and thankfully it was found...just waiting on Fedex.

I just came off Adventure and had no problem getting GF food....just had to ask. They have a tasty potato bread which I had in place of rolls at supper. Heads up though-they toast not so good. I also had a standing order with the MDR and WJ which my server placed so that I just had to ask for GF pancakes and they were made fresh right then.

I also was shown the next night menu in advance, although my order really didn't change much since I don't like red meat or seafood. I lived on salad and grilled chicken. :D

They also have a selection of GF pasta and rolls-but you do need to ask in advance. They will also make the potatoes special if you ask the night before. (They are cooked on their own from the main batch).

I did snap a pic from the Galley Tour of the GF display....however the cord to upload the pictures from my camera was packed into the bag....that somehow missed my flight and thankfully it was found...just waiting on Fedex.

I'm glad you were able to eat safely.