Super Star Virgo

little poppett

re: busseltoncruisers question

It's not that we dislike seeing kids having fun but just really concerned about any pushing and shoving whilst trying to manouvre Mum's wheel chair. Also as we are a party of 10 will we all have to queue at meal times at the main dining room (wheelchair and all) or can we book beforehand.

Suspect that wheelchair does/could become an issue. Mostly due to the narrow passages and busy lifts etc. We did not see lot of pushing shoving but queues often get a bit "close". Best bet would be to get a better cabin (Balcony or Suite) and pretty much stay away from the pool decks. Life should be no problem for a Deck10 or Deck11 cabin as the lifts spend most time between Deck 7 and Deck 12 anyway. Lifts get busy but it is easy to move around once the first dining is underway.

The first afternoon will be worst period as lots of people moving around - and excitement etc. Check in early (try to get there by 11am - 11:30-1pm is peak and queues are long). Eat early while others boarding and then find a quiet spot in Galaxy of Stars. Note that you can check bagage and do initial checkin without mum - i.e. she does not have to queue until boarding & customs.

You cannot reserve tables - but guess if you are a higher level cabin (particularly suite) it may be possible. Go for later sitting and you will be fine (see my other post - always large or couple nearby tables available). You can certainly get wheelchair reserved for shows if you are Balcony Class and above.

Your biggest hassle will be embarking and disembarking for day trips - but crew is so friendly and accommadating that I am sure they will figure something out if you are polite about it and give them some warning (wait until after initial check-in panic subsides). Book Gala Dinner ASAP. You do not have to book trips straight away. We booked a couple at 8am on morning of trip and ended up in half full buses.

Thanks DLF Aust. We are all travelling balcony class so that should be helpful. One further question regarding dining. You mention late sitting. Does this mean that there is set times or just arrive at the dining room later and if table is available then you are seated. Or is it like traditional dining with set times but without reservations. We have sailed on this ship previously but a while ago and we have been on a few more cruises since then so am having trouble remembering what the protocol is. we were supposed to be sailing on the Gemini but it was redeployed elsewhere and we were relocated to the Virgo (we could have had a refund but we had booked holidays etc..). As compensation we received all shore excursions for free and we thoroughly enjoyed what was on offer. We were given an outside window on deck 6 but received balcony priveleges. Thank you for your input and we will pay heed to your suggestions.

I have booked the virgo for March next year, balcony class, after reading the last few posts, I am interested in Cancelling.

I don't want to pay top dollar, and have to chose dining options so as to not have a problem with other passengers and not be able to use the pool freely. Does anyone know what cancellation charges are

thanks Hazel

I have booked the virgo for March next year, balcony class, after reading the last few posts, I am interested in Cancelling.

I don't want to pay top dollar, and have to chose dining options so as to not have a problem with other passengers and not be able to use the pool freely. Does anyone know what cancellation charges are

thanks Hazel

I think you are making a mistake and are taking what is posted on these boards way too far. For a start you are far from paying top dollar for a cruise using Starcruises. Star are one of the most reasonably priced cruise lines in the world and what you get for your money is very good value. If you dont want to choose a dining option then eat every meal in the main dining room, you wont be disappointed, that is your choice. Personally I would rather book a quiet resturant with my wife its more fun. As for not being able to use the pool freely well, you must remember you are on a ship with up to 2000 others. The pool is a free area so most will be there. I personally have never not been able to find a seat or use the pool, its the amount of people there that varies.

I have said on these boards that I most likely wont sail on Virgo again, that has nothing to do with the ship or her crew, it has everything to do with the itineraries offered by Star, they are very limited and I want to go to other ports.

Why cancel a trip saying you dont like it when you have never been on it?

Thanks DLF Aust. We are all travelling balcony class so that should be helpful. One further question regarding dining. You mention late sitting. Does this mean that there is set times or just arrive at the dining room later and if table is available then you are seated. Or is it like traditional dining with set times but without reservations. We have sailed on this ship previously but a while ago and we have been on a few more cruises since then so am having trouble remembering what the protocol is. we were supposed to be sailing on the Gemini but it was redeployed elsewhere and we were relocated to the Virgo (we could have had a refund but we had booked holidays etc..). As compensation we received all shore excursions for free and we thoroughly enjoyed what was on offer. We were given an outside window on deck 6 but received balcony priveleges. Thank you for your input and we will pay heed to your suggestions.

I know what its like to have your cruise cancelled we had ours on Libra cancelled at the beginning of the year but Star came good with a Virgo cruise for us.

As far as dining goes you can walk in when ever you like. Personally I found that any time after 8 was good. All those who need to get to the show and all the families with kids are fed and gone. The place is quiet and you can usually get a table out of the way. That is of course unless you book one of the other eateries than I think they have prefered sitting times, either early or late, but they are flexible.

The MDR is better than the Mediteranian. Its more comfortable and I think the food is better. One night we had beer and pizza up at the pool bar, it was warm, we watched the sun go down and had met a few people, that was a good night.

You seem very defensive about star cruises, I am paying good money to travel on star cruises balcony class, as other cruise lines especially those out of australia, are jsut as well priced. I have travelled on star cruises before and enjoyed it, I have actually read many disapointed comments from people travelling on the virgo' especially in the last few months. and as for using the pool freely, I don't mind sharing with 2000 people, but not Indians in there dirty underpants.(unless of course they shower before entering the pool) and if I am lining up for service, I expect other people to as well.(

I am not being unreasonable I appreciate all comments that is why I read the forum, that is why I have been reading it, but I must admit I am not looking forward to the cruise anymore. I have probably been spoiled by sailing on the gemini.

I think you are making a mistake and are taking what is posted on these boards way too far. For a start you are far from paying top dollar for a cruise using Starcruises. Star are one of the most reasonably priced cruise lines in the world and what you get for your money is very good value. If you dont want to choose a dining option then eat every meal in the main dining room, you wont be disappointed, that is your choice. Personally I would rather book a quiet resturant with my wife its more fun. As for not being able to use the pool freely well, you must remember you are on a ship with up to 2000 others. The pool is a free area so most will be there. I personally have never not been able to find a seat or use the pool, its the amount of people there that varies.

I have said on these boards that I most likely wont sail on Virgo again, that has nothing to do with the ship or her crew, it has everything to do with the itineraries offered by Star, they are very limited and I want to go to other ports.

Why cancel a trip saying you dont like it when you have never been on it?

All meals are sit when you please within the dining hours. However tables are allocated on arrival. If the restaurant is full then you have to wait and/or may have to share if you are couple. Obviously service is slower when hundreds of people all come in at once and want to be fed - this is simply common sense though some people (of all nationalities including westerners) seem to expect otherwise.

By delaying you get the advantages of avoiding the initial rush, not having to queue, generally getting a table to suit your group and obviously getting better service because most people are eating and service is then staggered - just like a land restaurant.

You do not have to pay - if you do your research you will find that Bella Vista, Pavilion and Meditaranean Buffet are inclusive (ie free). In addition Balcony Class have a S$400 credit (5 night cruise) so that they can enjoy a meal or 2 in the other restaurants. This credit only covers food and beverages - not tours, purchases etc. So you may as well eat out and have a special night (pay restaurants are pre-booked sittings).

The pool is no worse than a small resort pool - it is free and the weather is hot/humid so it is a magnet for children, families and passengers of every nationaility. Obviously the pool is not huge by resort standards so it gets busy. Most people we saw had bathers/raz suits - just the fashion can make you grin/cringe at times.

From our perspective the cruise was last week, it was great and we all enjoyed it. So did a lot of other Australians and other nationalities who were on board.

You seem very defensive about star cruises, I am paying good money to travel on star cruises balcony class, as other cruise lines especially those out of australia, are jsut as well priced. I have travelled on star cruises before and enjoyed it, I have actually read many disapointed comments from people travelling on the virgo' especially in the last few months. and as for using the pool freely, I don't mind sharing with 2000 people, but not Indians in there dirty underpants.(unless of course they shower before entering the pool) and if I am lining up for service, I expect other people to as well.(

I am not being unreasonable I appreciate all comments that is why I read the forum, that is why I have been reading it, but I must admit I am not looking forward to the cruise anymore. I have probably been spoiled by sailing on the gemini.

If you approach your cruise with those thoughts/attitude, maybe you better stick to cruising out of Australia with Australian passengers ...

You asked page or two back about tours....

I have all the papers still [July 09] so if you want them email me. Does not seem possible to communicate privately via website so send email to < dlf08 at teda net au >. Sure you can figure where to put the dots and ampersand. No spaces. May help with planning for your wheelchair mum.

Penang: The boat does not dock, transfer is by ships tender.

Boats quite cramped, rocking and stuffy for the seasick prone.

Need to climb onto and into tender via stairs/ladder. Crew assist.

It will be hard for your mum so you probably need to speak to crew. On/off boats and on/off buses. We did the Trishaw Tour - cost S$75 pp. Is best way to get off ship quick and see quite a bit in the time available (we had not been to Penang).

Covers: Chinese Jetty Village, malaysian meal in good hotel, general tour around Georgetown in bus, organised Trishaw tour of the narrow old streets of China Town and Little India [cycle with seats at front, fantastic - remember to have R10 or so to tip rider], tours of Thai and Burmese Budhist temples [side by side so one stop], Craft Batik Factory with buying, bit more tour in bus then Canon Rd Chee Temple Village and Compound. No shopping or free range due to limited time.

Free touring have to wait for disembarking, use and pay for a Penang boat, and have limited options to come and go. This will change month or two once Panang Cruise wharf is upgraded and Virgo can dock directly.

Phuket: ship docks direct.

There are few tour options at varying cost. Basically shopping/Phuket Aussies know is Patong Beach. It is quite a way from cruise wharf - you can get shuttle bus for S$25pp and takes most hassle out. One of us knew Phuket so we opted to negotiate taxi for day. Ignore the taxis at wharf and walk approx. 500m up road to port gate where lot of taxis waiting. Baht1200-1500 will secure a taxi all day at your beckon and call. One way is about Baht600-800. BUT they will want to take you to selling houses - so you need to work this out. They get credits for doing this. Offer cash incentive/bribe to go direct to Patong but realise it is their life - if you can handle one stop [suggest jewelry] you will make them happy and it need only take 5mins - suspect it keeps them in for future jobs etc.

Wharf market set up soley for cruise - actually not bad if you bargain, crew get brief time off here and you will see them looking around/buying. They seem to love the corn !! Can get cool drinks etc. before reboarding.

Couple bigger tours - one to offshore islands (James Bond etc). Cost more. Perhaps better to wait for later holiday trip to Phuket.

Malacca:

No stop just a tour HOWEVER - ship meets ferry in mid-strait and they had 30min trip to shore, some seasick. Brief time at stop and lots of driving to KL. Sights and shopping in KL not much different from Port Klang based tours. Spoke to someone who did it - and agreed may be better just to stay with boat.

Port Klang / KL: ship docks at cruise centre

KL distance away. Best bet is shuttle bus at S$25. Get brief look at twin towers and then dropped off in centre KL shopping area. Lot of choice as there are 4 large shopping malls in area (brands, western style, asian style market-y, and electronics mall). You can do whatever for 2-3 hours - some get taxi and go to towers etc. Others just walk around.

There is more expensive tour that actually does the towers etc. Fully guided but not much free time.

Singapore: mid-way return to Crusie Centre (end 3 night, start 2 night)

If visiting Singapore don't bother with Harbour Cruise Centre shops beforehand. You get 3-4 hours so this is best time to look through shops here. You have to decide to stay on or get off as you need passport etc. Some activities for those staying on ship. Time is bit limited as really to offload and reload passengers.

MONEY:

The easiest thing is to simply convert some cash on the ship. They will swap anything for Ringget, Baht, S$ as needed at reasonable rates.

If you need more ashore simply use ATM - but make sure you know your banks fees (these vary quite a bit). Can change currency anytime at main reception desk, as for most things best to do few hours before arriving at port.

hope this helps.....

If sailing on Virgo apart from the three (3) inclusive restaurants (Bella Vista, Mediterranean Buffet and Pavilion Room) be sure to treat yourself to a visit to either or both of (i) Noble House and (ii) Palazzo .

Noble House is specialty Chinese . The Peking Duck for x people is best value. For $ 19 per head you get Duck Skin and pancakes and 6 pieces per person, then the Duck meat with veg and rice .

Palazzo - is specialty Italian, only seats 40 . One of the best Italian restaurants in the world. Be sure to check out the original art works behind plate glass !!!!

In PENANG the City pedi cab tour gives you a good overall feel of the place.

In PHUKET the pick of the tours is to JAMES BOND island . You see a great cross section of countryside and Thai rural life, plus great lunch at riverside hote. Then boat ride on river through and past caves to arrive at spectacular James Bond Island.

VIRGO is a fine boat with very helpful crew, just avoid the Mediteranean Buffet at peak times . The main problem with Star is that they have sadly retreated to short duration SOM cruises visiting the same tired old destinations, and calling twice at either Singapore/KL within 7 days .

Those looking for longer duration 7 - 10 - 14 night itineraries in Asia would do better to explore Costa Cruises who have two boats in Asia (Classica and Allegra) . Sailings out of Singapore , Hong Kong and Shanghai to a wide range of ports in Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, China, Japan & Phillipines.

Agree Kuldalai, we ate at both the Palazzo and Noble House (had the duck) and they were great.

There are a lot of tours - need to decide whether you want to go out and see as much as possible or have time to do some shopping etc. Usually a basic tour (shuttle bus) around S$25pp to get you somewhere good, a mid range tour around S$70pp with a few sights and a larger tour S$100+pp.

The crux is that ultimatley your time is limited. Mostly 4-7 hours at each stop.

Guess that is cruising. However most destinations are pretty cheap to revisit later if you decide you like.

Hi Paul got your email - will scan and send shortly. Any one else interetsed see email in earlier post (couple above this one).

Kuldalai

I agree with you we did both restaurants both trips on the recommendations here and enjoy them equally both times. I must add though the Chef at the Pool bar makes a very good club sandwich if you are in the need for something light.

I see that you are doing Costa Classica in April 2010. We looked at that cruise too so I will be very interested to read your review when you get back. Its good to see new and more ships doing Asian ports.

Cheers

John

Costa are replacing Allegra with the nicer Romantica in Asia from March 2010. So from early next year Costa will be running year round full time in Asia with both Costa Classica and Costa Romantica operating out of Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore with an expanded range of 7, 10, 14 day cruises.

Lots of cruises ex HK and Shanghai to Taiwan, South Korea and Japan - all destinations largely ignored by Star .

However with withdrawal of Star Pisces, perhaps Libra will re-locate to Kong Kong in 2010 and do some longer duration itineraries , with Aquarius doing the Asian short duration gambling cruises. We live in eternal hope that Star will amend their ways.

strange that Star are not exploiting the Singapore options a bit more.

i.e. use the 3 night / 2 night / 5 night Mallacca for the peak periods but then slip in the odd 5-7 night cruise in between for something different. Guess maybe the short cruise market makes them enough - is big with many due to lower cost, quasi-cruise experience coupled with few days Singapore holiday (as we did).

Would be nice to see someone tap into the east cost as there is much less tourist activity there yet very nice places to visit along Malaysian and Thai coastlines - Singapore to Pattaya or similar would be interesting as a 5 night. Then return.

strange that Star are not exploiting the Singapore options a bit more.

i.e. use the 3 night / 2 night / 5 night Mallacca for the peak periods but then slip in the odd 5-7 night cruise in between for something different. Guess maybe the short cruise market makes them enough - is big with many due to lower cost, quasi-cruise experience coupled with few days Singapore holiday (as we did).

Would be nice to see someone tap into the east cost as there is much less tourist activity there yet very nice places to visit along Malaysian and Thai coastlines - Singapore to Pattaya or similar would be interesting as a 5 night. Then return.

I agree but as Kuldalai said with a bit of luck Libra will go to Hong Kong in the New Year and go back to 7 night cruises. I haven't read anything regarding Taiwan lately so I am just hoping she doesn't do little cruises from Hong Kong to Taiwan and back again.

Hi All,

I have scanned in some information relating to the SS Virgo Strait of Malacca crusie and put on a web site as PDF. These are about 1-4 mB in size and pretty much come from the Star Navigator which is the daily newsletter and information sheet during your cruise. Please note that this information relates to July 2009 and will presumably become out of date as time progresses.

Look in www.teda.net.au/Virgo [caps important]

(will appear as a list and you can either click to view directly or right click to "save as" onto your own computer. You need acrobat reader to view).

Tours - has scanned port information, tour list, prices & summaries from July 2009 for each port visited. Includes Penang, Phuket, Malacca, Port Klang/KL and Singapore.

Food and Beverage - has list of ship restuarants/F&B list, dress requirements, some comments plus information and menus for the Gala Night.

Activities & Entertainment - has range notes & summary info plus each days activity list for 5 night/6 day cruise as published in the Star Navigator. Includes ad's for July 2009 shows from the Star Navigator.

Balcony Cabin Photos - sample of cabin photos taken upon return to cabin at Phuket. Gives feel for cabin setout and features. Beds are full size singles and comfortable for 5'10 Adults but quilt could have been bit bigger.

I appreciated the information I got from this website when deciding to go on the cruise - but notably we still had a lot of questions. Hopefully there is information here that will help someone else whose questions exceed the forum.

If you think that knowing too much will spoil your experience then don't look !! Otherwise feel free to browse.

Did we enjoy it - yes :) (unanimous from all four of us).

Life is good in Balcony Class....

Happy Cruising......;)

Hi

I went on the Virgo about 9 years ago just my husband and we both enjoyed it.

We are now going on in October again, but this time there will be 8 of us. 4 Adults and 4 Kids (17, 12, & 2 ten year olds).

I am wondering with the guys for the Gala night do they have to wear dinner jackets, or is a pair of trousers, shirt and tie enough?

I will be downloading the PDF of the info that 'DFL' put on, thanks for that.

Regards

Archived