Has anyone had luck using walkie talkies?

PictureMom

Walkie talkies on cruises are annoying. Obnoxious too.

Abusing the purpose of a walkie talkie, is annoying. But using it for what it was intended to communicate with someone in another area, is just a good use of technology.

What would qualify as obnoxious/annoying use of walkie talkies, is screaming into it; or using it as a remote radio (which I have seen people do).

It surely is NO worse that someone 'screaming across a pool deck' to get the attention of someone else in their group (and I have seen/heard that as well).

I am on a business trip so can't tell you the model # of my Midland two way radios but they are the smaller ones I think they are called GMRS type. We used them on our 2012 Mariner of the Seas cruise and they worked fine pretty much every time we used them. The only problem I had was that my wife would forget to turn them on so wouldn't hear the beep when I wanted to talk to her. We were very discreet and if one of us beeped the other we would move to a seculded area to pick up and talk. We did not want to be obnoxious to other passengers. On a large ship I think they can come in very handy. I am glad I saw this thread because I had not even thought about them and I have a Indy cruise coming up in May!

Ours are Motorola, and like some others have said, we move out of the way to use them. For example, when my husband is by the pool and I'm trying to find him. A quick call saves a lot of walking and searching for him, which might cut into my sunning time.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

People screaming are also annoying. One doesn't justify the other! Of course this is just my opinion.

Tom

Abusing the purpose of a walkie talkie, is annoying. But using it for what it was intended to communicate with someone in another area, is just a good use of technology.

What would qualify as obnoxious/annoying use of walkie talkies, is screaming into it; or using it as a remote radio (which I have seen people do).

It surely is NO worse that someone 'screaming across a pool deck' to get the attention of someone else in their group (and I have seen/heard that as well).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app