Lobster infatuation?

Caligirl33

It's traditional - rather like obsessing about tips/gratuities/Service Charges; dress codes; chair hogs; smoking; lift etiquette etc.. (Have I missed anything?):rolleyes:

The good ole Hot Dog threads!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do people really go on cruises to eat lobster? I can't believe how many threads there are asking about lobster! If I want to eat lobster I go to my local seafood supplier and buy it. I do NOT book a cruise LOL!!!!!

This is funny because I JUST said nearly the same thing to my husband!

I think it's kind of odd as well. People talk about it like it's the most expensive and luxurious food. Our grocery stores sell it cheaper than most cuts of beef and lamb, and way cheaper than most good fish, so I just don't get it. Maybe it's because it's something they would not make at home? Most grocery stores (at least ours nearby) will steam your lobsters for you, so it's easy to serve at home..

Robin

Unfortunately not the case down here but we have shrimp....I think it must be all those poor people who live in Kansas....

just imagine living in a landlocked state...

not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Unfortunately not the case down here but we have shrimp....I think it must be all those poor people who live in Kansas....

just imagine living in a landlocked state...

not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Kansas has "crawdads" !! We used them for fishbait until we found out they were edible.

To those from other parts of the world, crawdads are crayfish to them !! lol

BTW -- Did Y'all know that lobsters are related to cockroaches ???

Edited by swedish weave

For me, I'm always looking for the smoked salmon aka "lox", that's harder to find and much tastier. Many times it is a by request item. i've always found it to be good on board.

BTW-sailing the Pearl in June, any salmon available?

I look for the pickled herring. Somehow it tastes better when you're on a cruise than when you buy a jar and keep it in your own fridge.

Yay for all lovers of oily fish!!

Do people really go on cruises to eat lobster? I can't believe how many threads there are asking about lobster! If I want to eat lobster I go to my local seafood supplier and buy it. I do NOT book a cruise LOL!!!!!

I was beginning to think Lobster Night was an urban legend, since we have manage to miss it on six different cruises. However, the level of hysteria around here has convinced me it might exist.

The only problem is that I don't like lobster.

I do think the "free on a ship, possibly expensive at home" theory is correct. It's one of the reasons I avoid the buffet. I doing like getting run over.

I agree 100 %, I'll take lox and a bagel over lobster any day of the week. A lot easier to eat with no shells. The hardest part on all of the cruise ships is getting a good bagel to go with the lox and cream cheese. Most times I prefer to eat it with the fresh little rolls instead. Some tomato, onion, and swiss cheese makes it.

Howard

PS.....forget the overdone lobsters.

Excellent idea. Lox and cream cheese on a pretzel roll, anyone?

Excellent idea. Lox and cream cheese on a pretzel roll, anyone?

I will have to go to the pretzel bakery tomorrow and get some real philly soft pretzels to go with the lox and cream cheese......brilliant idea.

A pretzel and a bagel are basically made from the same things anyway.

Howard

"Dirt-cheap because they were so copious, lobsters were routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices, slaves and children during the colonial era and beyond. In Massachusetts, some servants allegedly sought to avoid lobster-heavy diets by including stipulations in their contracts that they would only be served the shellfish twice a week."

One of the many fun facts on A Taste of Lobster History!

I never book a cruise because of the food. That said, I do enjoy the food while on the cruise. I've had lobster 3 or 4 times on a cruise. I guess we've been lucky because I've not had dry, rubbery, or overcooked lobster. Living in a land-locked state, seafood isn't on every corner. Beef on the other hand is, because it's what's for dinner, you know?

I did surprise my husband and son by preparing steak and tails for Valentine's Day dinner. Both were very happy when they found out.

I've never had Maine lobster, so I can't compare but I hope to be able to someday!

BTW -- Did Y'all know that lobsters are related to cockroaches ???

That's exactly what I call them, the cockroaches of the sea! I'll never understand eating something that is basically a giant, underwater bug. Every time I see someone eating one, I can't help but remember one of my biology professors stomping on one of the huge cockroaches that infested my university's biology building during a lecture, then going on to tell a funny story about how a former student thought the exoskeleton was made of "cotton" because she misunderstood his Alabama accent.

That's exactly what I call them, the cockroaches of the sea! I'll never understand eating something that is basically a giant, underwater bug. Every time I see someone eating one, I can't help but remember one of my biology professors stomping on one of the huge cockroaches that infested my university's biology building during a lecture, then going on to tell a funny story about how a former student thought the exoskeleton was made of "cotton" because she misunderstood his Alabama accent.

Keratin? Cotton?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always avoid the MDR on lobster night, we went once and some of the passengers were like pigs at the trough! For us it's a good night to go a specialty restaurant or hit the buffet. This native of Maine will not waste any time on anything but the "good" lobster.

Nice to know bacon, beer, syrup and all are still important:)

Haha, we avoid the MDR on lobster night too, but it is because the whole dining room and surrounding areas smell lobstery. When I told my DH that lobster night might be no more, he said "oh thank goodness". We like lobster and eat it occasionally at home, even the little tails (2 for 6.99), but we find the smell of too much of it cooking a bit overwhelming.

It's traditional - rather like obsessing about tips/gratuities/Service Charges; dress codes; chair hogs; smoking; lift etiquette etc.. (Have I missed anything?):rolleyes:

The "constant" nickle and dimming that cruise lines do. ;)

When was the last time any of you went to Disney World or any other large event? lol

I never understood the whole "lobster" thing either, but to each their own! :confused:

I noticed on some lines that the lobster is actually just a distraction for some other "better" stuff on menu they offer that night! :D

I agree with those who surmised that it's the whole thought that "lobster is too expensive in restaurants at home, so we must eat as much as we can of it on the ship"!

Whatever you fancy, the BEST part is still not having to clean up the mess and wash the dishes! HAHA!

My Dad was a lobsterman for many years on the Long Island Sound. My brother and I were often mates on the boats and "enjoyed" putting bait (dead fish) in the bait bags, putting the bait bags in the traps, putting the traps in the water and then pulling the traps to gather the catch.(Repeat as necessary). It is physical work and I did not need a gym membership in those days.

We called lobsters bugs and those that died before we could sell them found their way to our table to the point that I would have traded a lobster for a hamburger any day.

That said, there was always a certain cachet about lobsters and those who really enjoy them. As lobster fishers, we appreciated those folks. There were people who would meet us at the dock and buy catch from our boat.

I haven't worked the boats for years now and it has taken me almost 20 years to even consider eating something with lobster in it- but to each their own.

Now, where can I get a burger on the Pearl? :)

I look for the pickled herring. Somehow it tastes better when you're on a cruise than when you buy a jar and keep it in your own fridge.

Yay for all lovers of oily fish!!

Yeah, I like pickled herring too, don't remember seeing it onboard, pretty expensive also. Lox and swiss sounds like i gotta try it, i usually do capers, bagels are a little doughy on board but toast them ever so slightly improves them tremendously. Pretzel rolls sounds good also. Still trying to get my kids to eat the stuff, they won't touch it.

Back to original ? does he Pearl carry lox and pickled herring?

Thanks

They need to call it "Small Caribbean Clawless Wannabe Lobster" night.

I can understand the people who have never eaten a Maine Lobster thinking that the stuff they serve on board is lobster. But once you eat a fresh Maine or even a Canadian lobster, you wont be wanting to eat these again.