No Soap For You!

mpicard

It seems that GS calling these "promo items" and the stewards placing them in the Freebies bowl (instead of on the vanity, next to the spigot, as they used to) might be related. Maybe they really have stopped providing bar soap and these sweat-shop seconds really are "promos".:eek:

here's another sighting of the 'sweat shop' soap in the freebie bowl, from splendor january 2014:

DSCF0221_zpse38902e5.jpg

but they still put it next to the faucet too:

DSCF0219_zps0e524451.jpg

isn't it crazy the things we take pictures of... lol :D

Edited by falkcor

here's another sighting of the 'sweat shop' soup in the freebie bowl, from splendor january 2014:

DSCF0221_zpse38902e5.jpg

but they still put it next to the faucet too:

DSCF0219_zps0e524451.jpg

isn't it crazy the things we take pictures of... lol :D

I had 4 toothpaste and a pack of snoring strap when I arrived in my cabin a couple of weeks ago. Nothing else. Had 2 soap and got an additional 2 during the week. Don't know had something to do , because I'm Platinum.

Umkay, I'm very glad someone else has noticed that as well. Last time I was on ccl, the imagination to be specific, I had this same problem. I use bar soap to wash my hands and to shower (not the same bar for both lol) and if there are multiple people in the cabin, that tiny little bit they give you doesn't last long. I found it odd that the steward never gave us a new bar. I thought it was just him forgetting but apparently it is carnival's policy now. I find that ludicrous. It is one thing to cut back but they are cytting back in areas that people notice now. It just makes them look tacky and cheap - not to mention with the outbreaks of sickness they have been getting I would think they would do everything possible to promote cleanliness on board. My solution is just to make sure I pack extra coast or Irish spring now cause the ship ain't going to help me keep myself clean. And the liquid soap they have is awful as well. I don't use it often to shower anyway but it just looks and smells nasty. Word to the wise - bring your own shampoo also as the stuff in the cabin showers is lousy too.

Great point about the connection between preventing sickness and lack of soap. If they don't provide bar soap at the bathroom sink, the only alternative is to walk into the shower and get some shower liquid soap. That isn't promoting healthy cruising for sure.

Why couldn't you use the same soap the next day? Do you get out a new bar every day at home?

I think I can answer your question, sprint. Do you really want to take a bar of soap you've used in unmentionable places in the shower to the sink to wash your face and hands? I think not!

It's crazy for Carnival to expect passengers to share one bar of soap between the sink and shower.

omg...the reference too all the snooty bars everyone uses lol....too funny.

To the OP, yes, I use the hand soap provided at the sink. I use it to wash my hands. By the end of the cruise, it's down to a little tiny bar, but we've never had one replaced come to think about it. They are cheap, they seem to last forever even though we are avid handwashers lol.

I cannot believe they didn't provide you with another bar. I would assume, as others have stated, that the steward would be the place to go as the other people in other departments clearly had no clue.

FWIW, I too bring my own snooty soap and shampoo but dh & ds are happy with the stuff on the wall. My extreme sensitive skin is not okay with it. So I bring enough for me.

We have never had a problem getting the mystery generic bar soap replaced by the steward. However, I won't touch the stuff. It dries my skin up so fast. I always bring a bar of my Olivia Care soap with me. The large bar lasts 7 days. We only use it for hand washing at the sink. What are you supposed to do - hop in the shower for some shower gel to wash your hands?

I had 4 toothpaste and a pack of snoring strap when I arrived in my cabin a couple of weeks ago. Nothing else. Had 2 soap and got an additional 2 during the week. Don't know had something to do , because I'm Platinum.

Maybe if you beg your cabin steward to bring you more every other day or you even get lucky enough to see him or her at some point during the day, you can keep basic soap in your bathroom to keep yourself clean. Otherwise, you are SOL. I too am a platinum and I seem to have had a problem getting soap in the bathroom on my last few sailings. It doesn't seem to matter who you are, carnival seems to be cutting even basic hygiene items out. I do agree that the soap they do provide you with us cheap and prison soap is probably better quality, but it is just the ridiculous thought of it all.

No more sample basket on the Breeze the first week of February. First time it's every been completely empty. We did have one bar of the cheap Chinese soap. That was it.

And no more pen and paper. I finally dug a pen out of my purse to fill in our laundry sheet.

I usually find that the shower gel makes better hand soap anyway. That white bar stuff leaves a residue and doesn't rinse cleanly. If you wear contacts, you will feel my pain on that one when it gets in your eye. :eek:

I was on the Breeze the first week of February (2/1-2/9) and there was stuff in the sample basket (including the white bar of soap which I used on the sink all week). I also got a pen and pad of paper. Hmmm....

I would prefer a dispenser of hand soap at the sink as it is less messy.

Great point about the connection between preventing sickness and lack of soap. If they don't provide bar soap at the bathroom sink, the only alternative is to walk into the shower and get some shower liquid soap. That isn't promoting healthy cruising for sure.

That is absolutely a huge issue I have with the skimping on soap. Noro and other viruses are running rampant on cruise ships these days and the lines should be doing everything possible to reduce their spread. Yeah, the soap quality sucks but it's still soap. I just know now to bring more of my own soap from home than before. I don't like leaving the cabin without washing my hands and a lot of other people feel the same way. Get it together carnival!

I was on the Breeze the first week of February (2/1-2/9) and there was stuff in the sample basket (including the white bar of soap which I used on the sink all week). I also got a pen and pad of paper. Hmmm....

I would prefer a dispenser of hand soap at the sink as it is less messy.

I can deal with not getting a pen and paper but soap is kinda necessary. A liquid soap dispenser would be cool but maintenance on those things is intensive and they would probably not be cost effective for the cruise line. I remember when the Amenity basket used to have real nice razors and other useful stuff in them. And not that many years ago either. I usually bring my own razors and shaving cream, etc anyway so I don't miss the freebies but what? Yes, just more cutbacks.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

I will deal with my own soap always do, I'm basic a bar of Dial for me, nothing fancy like Irish Spring or the oil of old lady, opps I mean Olay. Just bring back the chocolate on the pillow and all is forgiven.

Edited by yakdaddy42
wording

• 2 weeks later...

I've always packed my own soap, shampoo, and conditioner. We had four soaps, four toothpaste tubes, body wash, and several of the breathe strips in our suite last month. I have no problem using the Carnival soap to wash my hands, didn't feel drying to me.

Edited by Laurie S.

OP, for us we use the bar soap for hand washing and if we end up needing another at some point during the cruise we just ask and the room steward gets us one no problem. However, for the shower/body soap we just bring our own which has become a habit over the years.

The details of each soul's personal hygiene needs; what you can take on airplane..checked or with your bags/ what is provided with cutback issues are just mind boggling.

This does not help the over packer..but geeze..I remember just one bar too on each cruise..now that we are discussing it...and the shampoo in shower was easier on skin than body wash so here is another option for everyone...LOL!!!! Just add hair products you need to your kit..or quart size bag....LOL.. or if you must...at least soap is a solid.

Edited by sjn911

DH always just takes anything that he wants off of the cart. :o

I've done that myself...no shame in it!;) It's on the cart because it's being put into your cabin, so no harm, no fowl...unless he's taking more than one of something...then it's "Bad Boy, Bad Boy, what ya gonna do time." lol:p