Question about evening meals in the Windjammer

On our upcoming cruise we've decided to dine in the Windjammer instead of the dining room for many of the same reasons previously stated. We're taking our cruise to spend time together and after many years we still do enjoy each other. It will be nice to relax and have dinner when we want and not at the scheduled times we are given.

We got to know the Windjammer dinner waiters very well and tipped them generously at the end of the cruise. We had to use cash for this because these waiters are not included in the automatic tipping that RCI has.
We will probably dine in Winjammer on our next cruise as well -- (canada/new england, port-intensive, would rather eat a quick and informal dinner, and then spend our evening relaxing or "lounging" it while the kids are in AO) -- how did you handle the tipping, with so many different waiters/etc? Or did you give an envelope of pooled tips to be given to the entire windjammer staff? Is there one person in charge who would be able to distribute the tips fairly to other staff members? If you use automatic tipping, can you specify that you are eating in the windjammer dining room and not the formal dining room? We like to tip generously, but would appreciate advice from others who have used this dining option in the past. Thanks!

When you go to the windjammer in the evening the same waiter will have the same section of tables. So if you sit in the same area you will have the same waiter each night. We just handed him a tip on the last night And did the same for anyone else in there who had been particularly helpful to us during the week.

We ate in the Windjammer except for one lovely dinner in the Portofino. I must admit I came to really like the Windjammer at night. It is quiet and unhurried. You can easily get a seat by the window. The food changes nightly, although certain favorites stay the same.

We got to know the Windjammer dinner waiters very well and tipped them generously at the end of the cruise. We had to use cash for this because these waiters are not included in the automatic tipping that RCI has.

I did follow the main dining room clothing code for the meals because I feel uncomfortable walking around the ship at night in very casual clothing when most passengers are dressed more formally.

I don't know if we will ever eat in the main dining room again. The Windjammer just seemed so much more peaceful. We arrive when we want. Also we can time our dinner to the show that we want to see, either the first or the second.

We too enjoyed dining at the Windjammer. It was such a relaxing dinner and we too got to know the same waiter there. We always sat in the Jade section next to the window and would reminise (sp?) about our day and plan for the next without feeling like we had to entertain others.

We have no problems eating in the dining room, but this past cruise at our table of 8 (4 couples), every couple spoke a different language. It is hard to communicate to others if they cannot understand you. We probably could have gone to the Maitre 'D, but we figured that going to the WJ was perfectly fine and we did not want to chance another problem with new tablemates.

We tipped our waiter in the WJ and he was so shocked that he couldn't say thank you enough. He even made sure to find us in the morning at breakfast to say good-bye!

We too abided by the dress code! On fomal night we did change after eating into our formalwear and went to the shows and got our picture taken. I do not feel like we missed out on anything because we did eat in the WJ. In fact, it probably brought us closer.

We like to eat in the Windjammer every night also - except the nights that we eat in Chops!!!! We take several dollars with us each night to tip the waiter in the Windjammer, in case we don't have the same waiter the next night. We do the same in the Seaview - we tip the server as we get our food served - that way we know that the tips go to the people who have served us.

I was thinking about eating in the dining room for our next cruise, but all this discussion about the peace and quiet in the Windjammer, and eating on our own schedule, has made me realize that the dining room is just not for me anymore.

Thank goodness there are choices other than the main dining room!!!

Soozin

Runmomrun-Yes, the dining room menu is posted outside the dining room all day.

I was wondering if the Windjammer had all the awesome desserts that the dining room has: creme brulee, warm chocolate cake, Baked Alaska, etc.?

My DH has at least two every dinner!

Does anyone recall the time Windjammer opens for dinner?

Also, is there a way to know in advance the menu for the dining room? Is it posted prior to dinner time?

Thanks!

Not sure exactly what time the WJ opens for dinner as there is always food there!

The dining rooms do post the menus for dinner that day... it might be posted after lunch. We would check out the dining room menu to see if there was anything 'spectacular' there that we would miss at the windjammer. We ended up eating at the Windjammer every night! The only thing that I did miss was shrimp cocktail and ceasar salads - they did not serve this at the Windjammer, but I figured that I can get that at home and the WJ had more to offer than the dining room.

Thanks for the great tipping suggestions, croozin soozin and ocean boy -- those are both great ways to make sure the tips wind up where they should! Also, speaking of desserts, does anyone recall if there were good sugar-free alternatives available? Thanks again!

You have really convinced me to eat int he Windjammer some nights. I hate the long time it takes to eat in the dining room...last year every meal averaged 2 hours. Wil eat in dining room for formal nights and the rest WJ or room. :)

Does anyone know if you do the wine package can you get a bottle brought to the Windjammer? And/or Chops?

tia

Yes you can. We did it for Portfinos by advising our dining room waiter, however if you let a headwaiter know the arrangements are easily arranged. The record of you purchasing the package is in the system so there should not be a problem.

We like to eat in the Windjammer every night also - except the nights that we eat in Chops!!!! We take several dollars with us each night to tip the waiter in the Windjammer, in case we don't have the same waiter the next night. We do the same in the Seaview - we tip the server as we get our food served - that way we know that the tips go to the people who have served us.

I was thinking about eating in the dining room for our next cruise, but all this discussion about the peace and quiet in the Windjammer, and eating on our own schedule, has made me realize that the dining room is just not for me anymore.

Thank goodness there are choices other than the main dining room!!!

Think we will do a lot of eating not in the dining room too. Hate the long dinner service every night...Will tip the people that serve us.

• 1 month later...

Each night (on the Radiance) in the dining room there was a special entree (i.e., filet minon, lobster, etc.). That was not available in the Windjammer - otherwise everything else was. We ate in the dining room every night except for the second formal night (DH refused to dress up twice :rolleyes: ). Having done that, we did eat in the Windjammer breakfast and lunch each day and thought it was great.

Archived