The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Thank you so much. We will have several St. Thomas first timers with us. A few have mentioned Magen's Bay, but I like to sound like I'm in the know so I tell them "hang on, I've got a surprise for you!" Lol. Magen's is pretty but imo doesn't touch Coki. But my family has been to Coki twice. I'm wanting to try Sapphire based mostly on what you've said about it. Not too worried about the crowds. And we'll head to PP afterwards.

Thanks again. I will report back post cruise.

Yes Coki is gorgeous, we like going there after the ships have departed. To us Sapphire has a bit more "character" than Magens and Coki with the water colors, natural shade along the shore, and island views. 1 or 2 posters actually commented on some of the condo property facilities being closed and in disrepair and yes the tennis courts, restaurant, and pool bar are currently an eyesore while the condo bldgs exteriors have been updated. But for a day visitor with the beach and water so beautiful I can't imagine being affected by those things and you will be happy you visited Sapphire. Let us know your thoughts on Sapphire versus Coki! :)

Edited by blue_water

Decided to go to Lindquist (smith bay park)! It looks gorgeous. We will be at Havensight - west indies dock. I'm doing the cruise excursion b/c it has chairs/drinks and I don't have to stress about getting back on time. :) I can't wait.

No beaches should be stressful Lisa - you are on vacation - relax and enjoy! Lindqvist is arguably the nicest beach on STT. If the excursion leaves before you're ready to leave just pay $10 for a taxi if it's worth it to you to stay longer, or hop the $2 bus. :)

No beaches should be stressful Lisa - you are on vacation - relax and enjoy! Lindqvist is arguably the nicest beach on STT. If the excursion leaves before you're ready to leave just pay $10 for a taxi if it's worth it to you to stay longer, or hop the $2 bus. :)

Thank you Blue_Water!

How far is Lindquist beach from Havensight.. how much is a taxi ride?

Can you rent chairs there and what is the food like?

Hi Catherine

From what I have researched, there are no chairs to rent or food/drinks available. It's a nature park and there is a $4 entry fee I believe. That's one reason we booked this excursion through the ship b/c it includes chairs/drinks and a stop at the skyline drive.

I have read that the taxis from port are around $10-12 per person each way.

Hope this helps. If you look on the map it appears very close to Sapphire beach.

I can't wait to go there! :)

Lisa

It is Smith Bay Park which includes Lindqvist Beach. If you look carefully you'll see the sign with both names.

At the Ace Hardware complex that is very close to Smith Bay Park, a new restaurant has opened providing sandwiches, drinks, etc for the beach. The restaurant, De Coal Pot, started on St John to rave reviews and has now expanded to St Thomas.

More info on this later as I get reports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Decided to go to Lindquist (smith bay park)! It looks gorgeous. We will be at Havensight - west indies dock. I'm doing the cruise excursion b/c it has chairs/drinks and I don't have to stress about getting back on time. :) I can't wait.

So Lisa, did you enjoy Smith Bay? :)

• 4 months later...
I hope Lisa replies! We're interested in spending our OBC on this excursion and would love a review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are many reports on this forum from folks who loved their day there, can't remember any that were negative. Use the search function for Smith Bay and Lindqvist Beach. Just a gorgeous beach that is starting to cater to cruisers but is still very natural and quiet so far. Not very different from when I started this thread in early 2014 except there are now restrooms so take advantage!

I highly recommend going on your own and either grab a picnic table or lay your towels on the soft sand. Grab a great baguette sandwich and drinks or a bottle of wine at the Gourmet Gallery at the dock! Very nice beach day that! :)

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...
I hope Lisa replies! We're interested in spending our OBC on this excursion and would love a review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have you cruised to STT yet? Curious if you chose Smith Bay with your OBC or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I will be in St. Thomas on January 25th, 2017 aboard the Sunshine. It looks like there will be 4 ships in port that day. We get in at 8am and are there until 6pm, so we have plenty of time. We mostly want to snorkel and I've heard that both Sapphire and Magen's Bay are excellent for snorkeling, even tho there are rocks at Sapphire; not a problem. As a diabetic, I am wondering if there is available food to buy at both locations? Your original post was in 2014, and I know things change.

We don't want to buy an excursion and only have a couple of hours to be at the beach. We'd rather catch a bus or a taxi and stay as long as we want. So...everyone...what's your opinion? Best option for snorkeling, food availability, and ease of transportation?

Thanks!

We mostly want to snorkel and I've heard that both Sapphire and Magen's Bay are excellent for snorkeling, even tho there are rocks at Sapphire; not a problem.

We're there in January and all my research said Magen's Bay was poor for snorkeling. Coki, Secret Harbour and Sapphire were recommended. You may want to reconsider.

I was at Coki Beach in Aug 2016 via Carnival Sunshine & will return to St. Thomas via Carnival Magic on a New Year's Eve cruise. We took an open air taxi from the port to the beach & at that time, arranged for pick up several hours later. Snorkeling was EXCELLENT at Coki, but be sure to go to the RIGHT SIDE of the beach & not the LEFT SIDE. Left is night & day in comparison to ease of entry, rocks, muck. Right side is clear entry, full sand. Swim around the rocky (underground mountain) and you will see so much!!! I saw a ray and so many gorgeous fish! At times, I thought I was in a fish tank!

Hubby and I will be in St. Thomas on January 25th, 2017 aboard the Sunshine. It looks like there will be 4 ships in port that day. We get in at 8am and are there until 6pm, so we have plenty of time. We mostly want to snorkel and I've heard that both Sapphire and Magen's Bay are excellent for snorkeling, even tho there are rocks at Sapphire; not a problem. As a diabetic, I am wondering if there is available food to buy at both locations? Your original post was in 2014, and I know things change.

We don't want to buy an excursion and only have a couple of hours to be at the beach. We'd rather catch a bus or a taxi and stay as long as we want. So...everyone...what's your opinion? Best option for snorkeling, food availability, and ease of transportation?

Thanks!

Magens is mostly sandy bottom and so not good for snorkeling.

The best options for off-the-beach snorkeling on STT are on the East End and include Coki, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet Bay (Elysian Beach). We'd recommend Sapphire or Coki for ease of transportation, and for the overall experience (snorkeling and other) we'd choose Sapphire but that's our favorite. It really depends on the experience you want. Yes Sapphire has a rocky area along the beach, but there is sand where you swim out to the reef and sea grass areas.

Taxis are easy to find going both directions and going on your own is the best choice.