Cabin Age Limits

kbirkhead

I have a question about the age rule. Currently we have 2 cabins booked with 2 people each. Ages are 46, 35, 21, and 20. As of right now, I split us up so that the 20 year old would be 'booked' with the 46 year old (because of the 25 age rule). My mom and I were planning on just switching keys when someone wasn't paying attention (our names out Katharine and Kristina and we look about identical anyway) so that me (21) can be in the room with my best friend (20). I read that if I go to the purser's desk when we board they could switch my mom and I's room? We are just in the cabin next door, not trying to go crazy but just wanted our own cabin. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Funny thing.... I just booked our next vacation last week (Magic July 6th). I used Carnival PVP to book. Wife and I are in Aft Wrap Balcony and she put our two children... 16 and 13 in the inside cabin across the hall. She had no problems putting them in their own cabin at all.

Keep it booked the way you are. The problem is your friend is under 21 and not related to anybody else.

Once onboard go to Guest Services and either completely switch cabins or just get a room key. Problem with getting a room key is that now you have to carry around two keys.

Edited by SadieN

We've done it also and just booked with two 17 yr olds, one of which is my DD friend so no relation. Another reason was to get the past guest rate. We have booked a 21 and 18 yr old in a cabin and no one said a thing. Just have the cards switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last year we booked four cabins on the Magic, with one person in my immediate family in each cabin so we could get the past guest rate for each cabin. Once we got on board, we went to guest services and switched four people around. No problem at all. Took about 3 minutes.

ETA: Our "kid" cabin ended up with four people ages 15-21.

Edited by BeautifulPlumage
further clarification

I believe there is some sort of distance issue with kids in another room.

Booked grandsons ages 12 and 17 in cabin next to me. We had portholes on port side of ship.

Booked step grandsons in another porthole cabin but on starboard side. I could see their room from my door. Carnival had us move one adult into their room and move one kid. They said it was too far from my door even though I could see it.

Step grandsons twins age 17.

Taken straight from Carnival's FAQs:

How old do you have to be to travel alone? (Traveling with minors)

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

- The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

- The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

Guests 12 and younger

- If the relative or guardian insist on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative/guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

- Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

- Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

You and your friend can be booked in a stateroom together, you'll just need to cross-reference the cabin with an adult 25 or older who agrees to be her guardian for the cruise. According to Carnival's FAQs, the 25+ year old guardian does not actually have to be booked in the stateroom with the 20 year old.

However, you'll also be fine with leaving it booked as is and switching rooms. Just request extra room keys once on board.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

I too was curious on this for my up coming cruise too. I have 2 cabins booked side by side with me in one and my BF in the other with his 16 year old DD. She has been asking if she could bring her 17 year old friend with her. Her dad said if she can come up with the monies then we will talk more then. My question then would be could we move my BF into my cabin and the 2 girls stay in their own room and how would that work with the S&S accounts? Not too mention would BF have to carry around 2 key cards for one being his S&S card and the other being the room key for my cabin. Just curious, especially if this is done and I call Carnival to make the changes.

I too was curious on this for my up coming cruise too. I have 2 cabins booked side by side with me in one and my BF in the other with his 16 year old DD. She has been asking if she could bring her 17 year old friend with her. Her dad said if she can come up with the monies then we will talk more then. My question then would be could we move my BF into my cabin and the 2 girls stay in their own room and how would that work with the S&S accounts? Not too mention would BF have to carry around 2 key cards for one being his S&S card and the other being the room key for my cabin. Just curious, especially if this is done and I call Carnival to make the changes.

For booking purposes your BF would have to stay booked in the room since the 17 yr old isn't his DD. A person over the age of 25 has to be in the room because of that.

Once on the ship, you can then go down to Guest Services and get a room key for your room for your BF and the girls can stay together in the room alone.

It may be worth it for you to book the 17 yr old girl with you and then you won't have to pay the single rate (if you are in fact in the room alone) but the 3rd person in a room does make it cheaper for the 3 people in that room.

Thanks for this information. I am booked in my room at a single rate but got a good price for it so not too worried about that. I expected my BF to stay in the other cabin because of his daughter but then when she wanted to bring a friend we got to thinking that now he can move over but in this case we will have to see which is more beneficial to us on which cabin to add her too. I personally do not want to be responsible for her spending since I personally do not know her very well. But will take all of this into consideration when the time comes to making these changes.

Again, thanks for this information, it is very helpful.

I have a question about the age rule. Currently we have 2 cabins booked with 2 people each. Ages are 46, 35, 21, and 20. As of right now, I split us up so that the 20 year old would be 'booked' with the 46 year old (because of the 25 age rule). My mom and I were planning on just switching keys when someone wasn't paying attention (our names out Katharine and Kristina and we look about identical anyway) so that me (21) can be in the room with my best friend (20). I read that if I go to the purser's desk when we board they could switch my mom and I's room? We are just in the cabin next door, not trying to go crazy but just wanted our own cabin. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

They can redo the key once you get on board. No need to try to be sneaky.

I have booked my son and his friends all under age 18 in their own cabin next to us several times with no problem and no swapping keys.

On the up side to having a under 21 in the cabin is if you want the cheers card you can get it without both people in the cabin being required to buy it :)

We always book with our kids across the hall from us, however, a family we know was on a cruise with us one time-just by chance, we didn't plan it. I was talking to them and they had booked the mom and 2 kids in one and the dad and the other kid in another, but once they were onboard, they just went and changed it so the kids were together and they were together. Should be no problem. At the time of that cruise, our kids were all the same age-14 and 12

Edited by crusinfamof4