Private Guide from River Cruise

bocaraton

We want to see the Jewish Sites on our River Cruise of the Danube...but , of course, the other sites as well. Only Ama has one this years, but it is in April.

So, we were thinking of taking a less expensive ship than Ama but going in August when we want and hiring a private guide to meet us at the dock and get to see all the sites plus an emphasis on Jewish history. If you have any suggestion we would appreciate them. We also would like a ship that spends a night in Vienna so we could go Opera or Theatre if it is open.

We think the lesser priced ship will offset the price of the private guide.

Thank anyone who helps in advance.

and went to many sites of interest to Jews.=per se.Such as in Prague,BUdapest,Terezin camps,etc.Some were shore excu.)like Terezin) and others inc.in city tour.Then we went back on own,using taxi,guidebook,or HOHO bus,depending on ea.city.

So you could still take the AMA and do with cruise,or on own,or book private guide for sights you want.Look on tourist website for ea.city to find,or on Tripadvisor,or here under city in Ports section.Many guidebooks will offer more info,and specifics.

Think it would be better to upgrade the entire cruise to nicer line,and spend the little extra it would cost(like we did)to see exactly what YOU Want.

PS>we re not even Jewish,but appreciate the history and sites .Some very difficult to see,but BOY,did I feel more of an understanding after I went.

Just my opinion,hope it helps.;)

Have a go at contacting a couple of cruise lines to see if their cruise directors would be willing to put together information and directions for places the visit with Jewish connections. It is only to their benefit as it would be an extra to offer their customers in the future. It would seem that most cruise directors are willing to organise taxi's etc an enterprising company might even add the occasional excursion if there was enough interest.

You won't know if you don't try, good luck

You don't necessarily need to find a Jewish themed cruise in order to visit the sites. We visited several with our private guides.

We had a private guide in Budapest, and we did 2 half-day tours with her. She was outstanding and I highly recommend her. Her name is Magdi Pelech and her email is magdi.pelech@gmail.com

We had a private guide in Prague who was wonderful. Her name is Eva Trkalova and her website is: www.trkalova.guide-prague.cz

We did 2 full-day tours with her, and we loved it. Eva is an official guide for the Jewish section. She was required to take Jewish history classes and pass difficult examinations in order to get her license.

Regarding Vienna... the ship's excursion for the opera was wonderful. We really enjoyed the concert at a venue in Hofburg Palace. We were on AMAWaterways - AmaLyra.

Enjoy!

I've not used the company personally but many on this site have. Try:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Prague/Jewish-Prague-Walking-Tour/d462-2190CEDT16

They have several tours for those interested in Jewish history in Prague including Terezin.

I don't know the itinerary you're interested in but you could go to Viator

website and click on country, then town and see what is offered for each town.

Also try Frommers.com. I found a DIY walking tour of the Old Jewish Quarter. Frommers has excellent walks for those who want to sight see independently. Don't forget to print the maps for whatever walking tour you do. Click on "Maps" on far left margin and look for whatever map accompanies the walking tour you're interested in!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/prague/632545

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/63_walkingtour:josefovjewishquarter.jpg (map for above tour)

Have fun! (we spend 1/2 yr in Boca and with the winter the rest of the country is having, aren't we thrilled that we can!)

Hi,

We used Whittman Tours in Prague and were very happy. We recommended this tour company to our friends who visited Prague in December 2013. They were also very happy. Infact, Whittman tours even met them at the airport when they landed and gave them a Jewish tour of Prague, as well as one to Terezin. On our tour of Terezin, our tour guide was a survivor of Terezin. This 95 yr. old man was incredible-telling us his personal stories of the camp and signing his published book for us. I believe Whittman Tours has a 800 phone #- in any case, I highly recommend you contact them by phone or e-mail.