11 Day HAL Denali Cruise June 26

mrsaruba96

Hi All,

My parents are taking our family on an 11 day HAL southbound cruise with the land portion starting in Anchorage first.

I have lots of questions. I would appreciate any feedback!

:)

1. How long is the train ride from Anchorage to Denali? What time generally do you arrive in Denali? Is there time for an evening excursion?

2. What is the Tundra Tour that HAL provides in Denali?

3. Has anyone done the Alaskan Wilderness Tour in Haines? What are the pros and cons?

4. What is the dog sled excursion and where?

5. Has anyone done a Denali Golf excursion?

6. How long is the ride from Denali to Seward? What time do you actually get on the ship?

Thanks all so so much!!

Kim

1. it takes 8 hrs, arrive Denali at 3:40pm. Look at the train schedule:

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

2. The Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT) is described on the Denali web site:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

See if you can get a refund and take the shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center instead .... this will get you further into the park (to mile 66 instead of 53) for 1/3 the price

6. depends on if you travel by bus or train or both ?

1. it takes 8 hrs, arrive Denali at 3:40pm. Look at the train schedule:

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

?

According to Google Maps, you can drive it in about 5 hours. Much better than being cooped up on a train for 8 hours and you can stop wherever you want to see the scenery.

According to the Alaska Railroad Site, it takes 11.5 hours for the train to go from Denali to Seward and 6.5 hours by car. Again, to me it is a no brainer but you do have to allow for the tunnel schedule if you drive.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

According to the Alaska Railroad Site, it takes 11.5 hours for the train to go from Denali to Seward and 6.5 hours by car. Again, to me it is a no brainer but you do have to allow for the tunnel schedule if you drive.

DON

Just a point of clarification -- if you drive from Denali (or Anchorage) to Seward you do not drive through the Whittier tunnel.

We,too, are taking the 11 day tour, but in August, and backward! Please report back when you return! Also, go to YouTube and search Tundra Wilderness Tour. You will see others videos and see what you are in for; the busses, the stops, etc. I am not sure if I am a fan of being on that bus for so long. Considering shuttles instead, with opportunity to get off and hike and get on again later when we want. I don't make a very good sheep. Like to go my own way. It's also fun to others videos from ports, the ship.

You are not cooped up on the trains, they are actually very comfortable and you can walk around, stay upstairs, go downstairs, there is a vestibule between the cars and think airplane seats. The restaurant is downstairs and not any more expensive than eating other places in Alaska. The restroom was also downstairs, so you did move around.

Some of my party did not enjoy the Tundra Wilderness Tour. After riding the train from Fairbanks to Denali in the morning (we arrived close to 1:00) we were scheduled for the TWT at 2:30 and it's approximately 8 hours long. We had some very selfish folks on our bus and wouldn't move for pictures at all and it seemed most of the wildlife sightings were on the the opposite side of the bus, so two left at the 2nd potty stop and waited for a shuttle to return to the lodge. My husband and I stayed on and finished the tour, returning at 11:00 pm. We were two tired puppies back in our room at 11:30.

I don't think I would want to take a shuttle, get off and do any hiking when we saw bears right by the road, a herd of about 100 caribou racing across the tundra and across the road, and a moose meandering across the road. Not someplace I want to be hiking, it isn't a zoo, I'll stay on the bus, thank you. I didn't even wander around too much at the potty stops, used the facility then got back on the bus.

Denali National Park has sled dogs, and they offer a free demonstration. I'm not sure of the times, but I think it's on their website. I booked Jeff King's Husky Homstead Tour while at Denali. It's the only extra excursion we booked. The rest of our 11 day trip was just what HAL had in the itinerary. I have watched the Iditarod and told the folks traveling with me that I wanted to meet Jeff King, and I was going if I had to walk. Fortunately HAL offered the tour, so I didn't have to hike there.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

The McKinley Chalets & Resort has been purchased by HAL now. It's a nice main lodge with 3 restaurants. Then outlying buildings for lodging with a shuttle bus that drives around the complex. It's pretty good sized and it is at "Glitter Gulch". Lots of shops, fast food places, souvenirs, etc. Some folks don't like to stay there, but I liked all the action and then the quiet wilderness feel of the cabin in the woods.

http://www.alaska.org/detail/mckinley-chalet-resort

If you go to the HAL website and look up the excursions offered at each stop, if you have finished your registration on-line, it will only let you book what you have time for at the various stops. If you aren't there long enough it won't let you book the excursion. You don't have to book, but it will give you an idea what is available.

Your fun is just beginning. Planning and researching is half the fun for me. Enjoy your trip to Alaska! It is an awesome destination.