Dzibilchaltun - what's allowed?

lilyhammer

From reading reviews, sounds like you are not allowed to bring bags into the ruins with you. Is this just large backpacks or purses too?

How does this work in terms of swimming at the cenote? Should we already be dressed in our bathing suits and just carry our towels? I think I read somewhere that there was a changing room available, but I don't want to become a pack mule.

Are there any other restrictions on this tour? I read people said you can climb the ruins. Is that true? Do you need to stay with the guide or can you wander on your own?

Thanks!

We wore our suits under our clothes and it seems like we checked our towels in at the changing room. We brought towels from home like always so if they were lost no big deal. I carried in water and a camera and binoculars. But I think I saw people carrying in other things and no one said anything. We really didn't need the binoculars and didn't take them with us the 2nd time we visited.

We have taken guests to Dzibilchaltun twice in the last three weeks. There is a nice visitors center with clean restrooms. You can change in the restrooms. You cannot take large bags into the ruins. If you are carrying towels they will give you a large clear plastic bag to carry items.

There are no restrooms once you leave the visitor center. I will confess to taking my six year old grandson off into the bushes for a close up visit to some vegetation.

On the second level of the visitor center a young couple has opened a restaurant. They had not yet printed a menu, but the food was reasonably priced and tasty. If you have time, it is worth a stop.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...

You can only take in small bags. They did have lockers and clear bags. We went off from the tour which I was glad we did. The "tour" group probably did hear a few interesting facts but they only saw about 1/3 of the ruins. ImageUploadedByForums1395754398.589067.jpg.e1908b0e6d12672df410bffc88ceeaa8.jpg

Cruise fan